Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 12:13 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,422,875 times

Advertisements

I'm impressed with the design of these apartments. Now this what I'm talking about. Apartments looking similar to these is what the Syracuse Area could use many more of all over the city and suburbs. I just hope they will be highly visible to visitors. These apartments should bring up the vibe of the area.

It reminds me of the architecture you'd see in the Rochester area. Classy and beautiful designed buildings in my opinion.

See the proposed apartments at the 1:02 minute mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oytkE_0vgzA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 01:22 PM

93,208 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I'm impressed with the design of these apartments. Now this what I'm talking about. Apartments looking similar to these is what the Syracuse Area could use many more of all over the city and suburbs. I just hope they will be highly visible to visitors. These apartments should bring up the vibe of the area.

It reminds me of the architecture you'd see in the Rochester area. Classy and beautiful designed buildings in my opinion.

See the proposed apartments at the 1:02 minute mark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oytkE_0vgzA
You can find examples of those types of apartments in Syracuse in recent years as well. I posted some already and you also have the Iron Pier Apartments in the Inner Harbor, as well as the former Telephone Company building Downtown: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0486...8192?entry=ttu

This is why I say that some may not be aware of buildings that have come on line in the city in recent years.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can find examples of those types of apartments in Syracuse in recent years as well. I posted some already and you also have the Iron Pier Apartments in the Inner Harbor, as well as the former Telephone Company building Downtown: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0486...8192?entry=ttu

This is why I say that some may not be aware of buildings that have come on line in the city in recent years.
Iron Pier apartments are very nice looking.

The former telephone building looks really good too.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BbujS7NChAQ

I like the design but I think it had a chance to look even better with a few minor changes.
Here is the video of the missing link

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ_Jt3TQ0C0

Old 08-16-2023, 09:02 AM

Goodfellow said he’s looking at 82 to 91 one and two-bedroom apartments on the upper floors of the 146,000-square-foot building.

The $35 million project calls for market-rate apartments, which he said will be aimed at empty nesters and baby boomers. The four-story, U-shaped building will have about 16,500 square feet of space on the first floor for commercial tenants, Goodfellow said. He said he’s thinking a small wine bar and small cafe, along with possibly a drugstore or other commercial tenant.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/0...t-is-back.html

I like the design but don't love it. Could be better but could be a lot worse so I'm not complaining. I'm not sure why with the future projected demand and housing shortage developers aren't building taller apartments like 6 floors.

Whatever they build at 6475 Woodchuck Hill Road I hope looks real nice since it will be visible from the future interstate 81 and many people make judgements on a city based on what they see from the highway.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Goodfellow said he’s looking at 82 to 91 one and two-bedroom apartments on the upper floors of the 146,000-square-foot building.

The $35 million project calls for market-rate apartments, which he said will be aimed at empty nesters and baby boomers. The four-story, U-shaped building will have about 16,500 square feet of space on the first floor for commercial tenants, Goodfellow said. He said he’s thinking a small wine bar and small cafe, along with possibly a drugstore or other commercial tenant.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/0...t-is-back.html

I like the design but don't love it. Could be better but could be a lot worse so I'm not complaining. I'm not sure why with the future projected demand and housing shortage developers aren't building taller apartments like 6 floors.

Whatever they build at 6475 Woodchuck Hill Road I hope looks real nice since it will be visible from the future interstate 81 and many people make judgements on a city based on what they see from the highway.
I don't think it is that "deep", but I think it will look nice and modern.

Given the location, I can see this having potential appeal with those that work on University Hill or nearby.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:00 AM

From my own observations, buildings 5 stories high or taller have a larger impact on the surrounding neighborhood vibe than 4 story buildings or lower in height. There is a large shift from 4 floors to 5 floors in the building having a much stronger energy impact with 5 story buildings or higher.

In general the taller a building the more impact it has on the energy of the neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:14 AM

Of course Syracuse should develop it's own style of modern architecture over time as long is it is beautiful, impressive and inspirational but for inspiration I would look at a few other cities to get ideas of what looks good.

For example, for the area of the CIty of Syracuse north of Syracuse University to 690, I'd use design inspiration for apartments, condos, hotels from the Southend neighborhood in Charlotte, North Carolina.

For the Lakefront neighborhood of Syracuse I'd use design inspiration for apartments, condos and hotels from newer buildings in the neighborhoods just outside downtown Seattle, Washington.

For the Erie Blvd corridor of Syracuse I'd use design inspiration for apartments, condos and hotels from newer buildings in the neighborhoods just outside downtown Denver, Colorado.

For downtown Syracuse I'd use design inspiration for apartments, condos and hotels from the newer buildings in downtown Austin, Texas.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:
From my own observations, buildings 5 stories high or taller have a larger impact on the surrounding neighborhood vibe than 4 story buildings or lower in height. There is a large shift from 4 floors to 5 floors in the building having a much stronger energy impact with 5 story buildings or higher.

In general the taller a building the more impact it has on the energy of the neighborhood.
In terms of what?

Again, a lot of this is subjective, as some may like the feel of urban, but lower rise buildings in terms of having a mix of more access to the elements such as sun/skies and a walkable built environment that give a positive "energy" to a neighborhood.

For instance, if you look at this list of Great Places in America, 2007–2019 from the American Planning Association, you won't see too many high rise building neighborhoods listed, including the Greater University Hill neighborhood from 2008(more largely student based since then is, but not at the time and much of the area covered still doesn't): https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/list.htm

Old 08-17-2023, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of what?

Again, a lot of this is subjective, as some may like the feel of urban, but lower rise buildings in terms of having a mix of more access to the elements such as sun/skies and a walkable built environment that give a positive "energy" to a neighborhood.

For instance, if you look at this list of Great Places in America, 2007–2019 from the American Planning Association, you won't see too many high rise building neighborhoods listed, including the Greater University Hill neighborhood from 2008(more largely student based since then is, but not at the time and much of the area covered still doesn't): https://www.planning.org/greatplaces/list.htm
Like I said whatever is built 5 stories or higher has a much larger impact on the consciousness of the people in the neighborhood of those who can see it ...therefore the energy impact is much bigger. Buildings 4 stories or shorter have a smaller consciousness impact and only change the energy of the immediate area around the building. 5 stories or taller the energy impact goes out much further in the surrounding neighborhood . This is based on my own subjective observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area