Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 11:07 AM

3,512 posts, read 9,424,594 times

Advertisements

Can you tell me the video showing a city built with the idea of function in mind and the video showing a city built with the idea of beauty?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=az4hGA...hpbGFkZWxwaGlh

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NeBaiP...A0ayB3YWxraW5n

Take note Syracuse, two paths lay ahead with all the future growth coming soon, would you rather be another city built on function or city built on beauty.

Notice which ones attract investment, growth, successful wealthy people and which ones do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2023, 11:44 AM

93,244 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Ok…What does this have to do with Syracuse? Downtown is turning more in line with the Paris neighborhood in terms of live, work and play. I dare say that Syracuse may have the most well rounded Downtown out of the bigger Upstate cities. The city is trying to expand that footprint too. This isn’t including adjacent Franklin Square/the potential of the Inner Harbor.

You also have the Greater University Hill area, an APA best neighborhood winner in 2008, which has seen more development(though mostly student based). That includes Westcott, Crouse-Marshall and Midtown/East Genesee Street.

Eastwood is another walkable, village like neighborhood.

Others like Little Italy/North Salina Street, South Salina Street, South Avenue and South Geddes Street have potential for development, with some already occurring or occurred on the first two streets. To be honest, South Salina and South Ave. have the biggest potential for predominately black business districts probably in Upstate NY and the same for South Geddes and Hispanic businesses. Even the portion of West Onondaga between Downtown and South Ave. is another area that comes to mind in terms of potential and for businesses from both/a mix of groups. Even East Fayette Street just north of the University Hill area to about Columbus Avenue even has potential for businesses development for a mix between students and the long time black population in that area in between Erie Boulevard East to the north and East Genesee Street to the south(an area some call the Near Eastside, some Midtown and I call it the East Fayette Strip).

So, there is development that has been going on, is going on and will be going on.

By the way, I get into this with the revitalization/gentrification thread. A lot of these new threads are touching on things that are in threads already made and can be expanded on.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-02-2023 at 12:05 PM..

Old 07-12-2023, 05:05 PM

Here is an example of a new functional building that was approved. In my opinion it is ugly.

development group out of Long Island, 728 EGSU LLC, has notified the city that it plans to build a 12-story L-shaped apartment building, instead of an 11-story one, around the southern and western sides of the former Christian Science Church at 728 E. Genesee St.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/0...re-costly.html

Hopefully they building something more attractive than what is shown in the rendering.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Here is an example of a new functional building that was approved. In my opinion it is ugly.

development group out of Long Island, 728 EGSU LLC, has notified the city that it plans to build a 12-story L-shaped apartment building, instead of an 11-story one, around the southern and western sides of the former Christian Science Church at 728 E. Genesee St.

https://www.syracuse.com/news/2023/0...re-costly.html

Hopefully they building something more attractive than what is shown in the rendering.
It is a design that was presented initially about 8 years or so ago. What is presented isn't always what is built, but I'm curious as to what you were expecting for that location.

Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0469...8192?entry=ttu

Old 07-13-2023, 12:55 AM

124 posts, read 48,708 times
City of beauty is far better.

I have driven from LA to NY and vice versa, about 10X, and visited almost every state.

And, nothing is worse that places that have a Wal Mart and Waffle House on every corner. I guess you can find beauty in any city if you know it well enough. But, Syracuse has plenty of beauty because of the natural lakes, trees, etc. Also, Syracuse is very functional because of no traffic issues, and the people of Syracuse have higher IQ than most parts of the world. In fact, most people from colder climates are more intelligent. The only states that I have been to that rival the beauty of Central NY are parts of Utah, and Colorado. Places in the Midwest and most of the South are boring. West Coast is decent, but nothing to write home about unless you love the beach, which I personally think is over rated and way over valued. Give me Green Lakes over any Southern Californian beach.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:53 PM

Syracuse should pass a law banning Brutalist soviet architecture style

https://youtu.be/qApKqKqi7sU

Austin, Texas, inspiration for the future architecture of Syracuse.

https://youtu.be/JHL13O0dfQQ

Built environment is very important for a city's reputation, image and perception. Why do most people never travel to former soviet cities that are dominated by Brutalist architecture but travel to places like Dubai and Paris? Beauty. Beautiful cities attract people and ugly cities do not.

Most Beautiful buildings in Syracuse were built before 1950. Most architecture in Syracuse for the past 70 years are not inspiring or beautiful in my opinion. It is partially why Syracuse doesn't get the respect it deserves. In order for Syracuse to overcome it's bad image it should build as many new beautiful large and tall buildings as possible so that there is something inspirational about the built environment other than historical buildings from 100 years ago.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-24-2023 at 12:12 AM..

Old 07-24-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Syracuse should pass a law banning Brutalist soviet architecture style

https://youtu.be/qApKqKqi7sU

Austin, Texas, inspiration for the future architecture of Syracuse.

https://youtu.be/JHL13O0dfQQ

Built environment is very important for a city's reputation, image and perception. Why do most people never travel to former soviet cities that are dominated by Brutalist architecture but travel to places like Dubai and Paris? Beauty. Beautiful cities attract people and ugly cities do not.

Most Beautiful buildings in Syracuse were built before 1950. Most architecture in Syracuse for the past 70 years are not inspiring or beautiful in my opinion. It is partially why Syracuse doesn't get the respect it deserves. In order for Syracuse to overcome it's bad image it should build as many new beautiful large and tall buildings as possible so that there is something inspirational about the built environment other than historical buildings from 100 years ago.
Well, Syracuse doesn't even have any or maybe very little brutalist architecture for one.

Second, again, I don't think Syracuse needs to be like Austin TX. There are just different dynamics at play and the skyline doesn't really dictate respect for a city.

Third, I don't know if Syracuse's image is necessarily viewed as being bad, outside of locals and select others, for whatever reason. It is like most American cities with its good and bad. So, some of this may be a matter of perspective and what it is being compared to.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, Syracuse doesn't even have any or maybe very little brutalist architecture for one.

Second, again, I don't think Syracuse needs to be like Austin TX. There are just different dynamics at play and the skyline doesn't really dictate respect for a city.

Third, I don't know if Syracuse's image is necessarily viewed as being bad, outside of locals and select others, for whatever reason. It is like most American cities with its good and bad. So, some of this may be a matter of perspective and what it is being compared to.
Syracuse's Center of Exellence building is ugly. Only two out the few new Syracuse University residential buildings are attractive, the others are ugly. Most of he New buildings of Upstate University Hospital are ugly. If this trend continues Syracuse's attractive historic buildings from more 100 years ago will be overshadowed by ugly modern buildings. Then Syracuse will always look ugly when that trend can be stopped now with hiring good architects instead of the cheapest locals ones.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Syracuse's Center of Exellence building is ugly. Only two out the few new Syracuse University residential buildings are attractive, the others are ugly. Most of he New buildings of Upstate University Hospital are ugly. If this trend continues Syracuse's attractive historic buildings from more 100 years ago will be overshadowed by ugly modern buildings. Then Syracuse will always look ugly when that trend can be stopped now with hiring good architects instead of the cheapest locals ones.
Which buildings are you referring to? Some of this is opinion. So, it will depend on tastes, but to try to replicate another city doesn't make people want to automatically move here.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Which buildings are you referring to? Some of this is opinion. So, it will depend on tastes, but to try to replicate another city doesn't make people want to automatically move here.
It is inspirational to look at beautiful looking modern cities with great architecture. Of course you don't copy every building exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area