Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 01:56 AM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times

Advertisements

https://www.metrolagoons.com/

Planned communities around Dallas, TX are building these small beach lagoons with white sand that mimic an ocean shore resort.

Would places in the north like our area support something like this under glass like a greenhouse so it is naturally heated from the sun to make it warm? Maybe add a large screen with a video of a real beach on the backside of the lagoon. They could have a tropical forest with palm trees along side the lagoon.

If done right it could be another place to go during the winter to escape the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 02:15 AM

Idea for one of the research centers in the area. Invent a technology or product that if applied to a road or driveway will melt snow or make it dissolve more powerful than salt but also environmentally safe and non toxic to humans/wildlife.

Create it so that this technology or product makes shoveling snow, or plowing snow no longer needed.

As soon as snow hits the surface of this new invention it melts or dissolves.

Imagine how much better the quality of life would be if it was cheap and easy remove snow without doing much work. This invention could make northern cities more desirable places to live and end the shut down of southern cities when they get an inch of snow

Old 10-24-2022, 05:01 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Why, when we have fresh water lake beaches and those communities would likely have an HOA that residents have to pay to maintain a space like that. We already pay for parks via taxes and it just would seem unnecessary.

You could perhaps create it as an indoor water park space similar to the one at Greek Peak in Cortland County, but it may make more sense to make it open to the public for a small fee and/or as a part of a town park system

As for that technology, I believe you could use what is used to heat sidewalks in Minneapolis for driveways and sidewalks. It would likely be costly, but some may use the technology or it could be used for driveways of newer properties.

Here is an article about a company that already has this technology: https://bringmethenews.com/.amp/minn...sidewalk-trend

This one is about driveways: https://www.warmlyyours.com/en-US/po...afety-2867.amp

Old 10-24-2022, 07:09 AM

Thanks, maybe a developer can build a housing development with the heated driveway included. I think many would want it but don't know about it.

If Syracuse is going to have a housing boom, building homes where you don't need to shovel snow could quickly be in demand.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:39 AM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Thanks, maybe a developer can build a housing development with the heated driveway included. I think many would want it but don't know about it.

If Syracuse is going to have a housing boom, building homes where you don't need to shovel snow could quickly be in demand.
Well, snow comes with the territory. So, those that move here would still have to be prepared for it.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, snow comes with the territory. So, those that move here would still have to be prepared for it.
The goal is to have your cake and eat it too. Meaning Syracuse area residents get to enjoy the beauty of winter snow without any of the negatives that come with it... like shoveling, plowing or driving in it.

I've lived in a northern city that gets little snow in winter, a cold winter with rain instead of snow to brighten the light outside is more depressing in my opinion.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:50 AM

If I ever become a multi billionaire I'd enjoy building up the area with the following projects.

1) Buy lots of land near water and sewer lines. Develop the land with a mix of single family homes, apartments and condos. Create a walkable downtown area with lots of retail stores of everything you'll ever need within walking distance with a vegan grocery store and vegan restaurants. Then I'd connect this community with Syracuse with rail and a highway. I'd buy the land area around it with farmland and establish organic farms that provide produce to a farmers market there. The community would also all have roads, driveways and sidewalks with underground heating to melt the snow. I'd create shovel ready sites to attract good paying jobs. The whole community would be walkable and bikeable with many trails, parks and nature paths.

Old 10-25-2022, 03:58 AM

2) I'd buy up land on Lake Ontario in Oswego county and create a Beach seaside Resort with white sand and bars, restaurants, spas, hotels and a planned community similar to the one I explained above. A Wegmans, a vegan grocery store and vegan restaurants. A farmers market with Organic farms nearby. Everything would be walkable with a light rail line connecting it to downtown Syracuse and Handcock airport etc.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:06 AM

3) I'd use my money to provide the latest technology that would melt snow in everyone's driveway, and sidewalk so that no one would need to shovel snow ever again. I also over time pay for heating under all the roads in the Syracuse NY area. It could save a lot of money by ending the need of using plows and buying salt for the area governments.

Old 10-25-2022, 04:12 AM

4) I'd pay for light rail and trams to go to downtown, airport and all of the main population and employment centers in the Syracuse area. Then I'd build sidewalks from the metro train stations to all surrounding neighborhoods and shopping areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area