Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,272,938 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever take a beer and wine tasting trip on the Adirondack Railroad??

I get 10 bucks off for being a DD so that appeals to me.

It's in may so not sure how pretty the ride would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 07:18 AM

93,451 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Around this time of the year, this is definitely an important issue that needs to be addressed: Correspondence: Wistful readers offer dreams of cleaner Syracuse gateways | syracuse.com

Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
I think it is a great idea, at least they are moving in the right direction. I do have one concern as noted in the article, "In past administrations, the mayor and the county executive often did not see eye to eye". The County has more of a suburban (short-sighted) view of development which could hinder the direction of City developments in the future.

It is great to see the Mayor and County Executive work so closely together, but that could change with future administrations. I do not want to go back in time with a proliferation of suburban development, big box stores and fast-food restaurants. Lets face it, some County officials (elected and otherwise) have a rural view of society and may impose their influence. On a postive note, I like what both had to say and seem to be moving in the right direction. I think both recognize the inevitable from a strategic and financial perspective, regional coordinated planning is here to stay.

I was not aware, but pleased to read that the City and County have merged their purchasing and economic development departments. To make a real impact, they will have to move toward consolidating larger departments, i.e., police, fire, etc.

Last edited by urbanplanner; 04-13-2013 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I think it is a great idea, at least they are moving in the right direction. I do have one concern as noted in the article, "In past administrations, the mayor and the county executive often did not see eye to eye". The County has more of a suburban (short-sighted) view of development which could hinder the direction of City developments.

It is great to see the Mayor and County Executive work so closely together, but that may change in the future with new administrations. I do not want to go back in time with the proliferation of suburban development, big box stores and fast-food restaurants. Lets face it, some County officials (elected and otherwise) have a rural view of society and may impose their influence.

I was surprised and pleased to read that the City and County have merged their purchasing and economic development departments, they will have to move toward consolidating larger departments to make a real impact, i.e., police, fire, etc.
Hopefully there will be enough positive impact in order for future administrations to see how beneficial it would be to consolidate some services for the greater good of the city/county and area in general.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:35 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,867,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hopefully there will be enough positive impact in order for future administrations to see how beneficial it would be to consolidate some services for the greater good of the city/county and area in general.
I hope you are right, there are a lot of egos who don't necessarily look at the greater good (in all communities, not just Syracuse). I think the key is to take advantage of and maximize the current positive relationship between the City and County. I was impressed with Mayor Miner's comment on establishing Syracuse as a "21st century city", that is a key recognition.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I hope you are right, there are a lot of egos who don't necessarily look at the greater good (in all communities, not just Syracuse). I think the key is to take advantage of and maximize the current positive relationship between the City and County. I was impressed with Mayor Miner's comment on establishing Syracuse as a "21st century city", that is a key recognition.
Exactly, especially with some investment within the city and certain projects in other parts of the county. I think people in charge of other departments and the public should take note if this consolidation helps.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM

37 degrees with heavy gloom and going back and forth between rain and snow at 12 noon on April 14.

I'm afraid I just don't get how to enjoy a NY "spring".

It did hit me yesterday as I zipped up my jacket that I had to stop in Rome last September and buy it. It's a light jacket as I don't own a heavy jacket because I just run from heated place to place. But I really like this jacket. I have had to wear it everyday since last September.

Do people from this area vaction in Archangel??

Old 04-14-2013, 11:10 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,617,694 times
I woke up and saw the sky was clear and the sun out this morning. I got ready to take the dogs for a long walk. The wind was freezing and blowing so hard that the walk was cut short. 20 minutes after coming back in the house, it started snowing. I guess it is a nice change after 4-5 days of rain.

I have been feeling really down lately, but it seems everyone I know is feeling it this year. It is still mind blowing to me that people in Upstate choose to pay really high taxes to live like this.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:54 PM

Everyone is in a bad mood lately. I have to avoid people cause I won't stand for it and will lay them out.

I made some bad choices last year based on the mild weather like an idiot. I can not take another winter like this one so I am in big trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area