Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 04:13 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,617,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Though the Republicans substantially got rid of rent regulations, which have lead to a rapid increase in homelessness. The Republican war on drugs and its long term effect on communities have essentially bankrupted the state as convicts will be in welfare permanently.

Nixon’s legalisation of weed would mean the state would get tax revenue on that front, instead of wasting it on prisoners.
I think ending the war on drugs has already reached broad consensus across the political spectrum. As far as homelessness goes, I have to tell the truth: It's because people migrate here for benefits. Put in work requirements for all but the elderly and disabled and that will start to wane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 06:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I think ending the war on drugs has already reached broad consensus across the political spectrum. As far as homelessness goes, I have to tell the truth: It's because people migrate here for benefits. Put in work requirements for all but the elderly and disabled and that will start to wane.
No. There are a lot of evictions in NYC, plus you have a huge percentage of low wage workers who never really had their own apartments (room rentals). These people worked and often worked for years, but never made enough money to do anything.

As for Republicans and the war on drugs, no they have not made bold moves to end it. In fact people like Sessions want to continue it.

Another reason why homelessness is so high in NYC, re the war on drugs people with criminal records can be denied employment, housing, and in some cases education. What is left for them to do but be homeless? Republican get tough of crime came with a huge social cost NYC is stuck with as those convicts are not going to leave.

Work requirements on welfare are still a huge drain on state budgets. And it doesn't change the fact convicts have been made unemployable and now instead of spending money and paying taxes they would be getting government benefits.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:10 PM

15,868 posts, read 14,506,290 times
Maybe ending the war on drugs as far as Pot is concerned. I don't see any push to legalize anything else. And there seems to be a big push to crack down on Heroin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

Old 05-27-2018, 08:15 PM

175 posts, read 279,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN View Post
You must be a real commie then to think cuomo is far right!
Cuomo definitely have some conservative tendencies. He slashed the pension 40% for new city and state gov't workers by implementing tier 6 back in 2012. I will never forget it, because it happened right after I was offered a city job but before I signed with HR. I narrowly missed out on those cushy benefits and I will forever hold a grudge towards Cuomo, lol. Good for the taxpayers, admittedly.

Old 05-28-2018, 06:41 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
Quote:
You have a lot more conservative tendencies that you realize.

Your statements on Schneiderman's dismissal for example, complaining that Democrats got rid of their own when faced with scandal (as they should if the person has committed a crime and domestic violence is a crime).

That's really silly, dude.
Because I think Democrats are STUPID and SELF LOATHING does not make me in any way conservative, but rather it makes me discerning and actually moves me much farther to the Left of today's Democrat Party.

I am faced with the reality of a two party system/fix where one party is loathsome and the other incompetent, both wings of the Uber-Capitalist Party. Voting is a Sophie's Choice for me, and I am getting very close to giving it up completely.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:42 PM
exm

3,732 posts, read 1,788,407 times
Why is everything so black and white? If you're Republican, you support Trump? If you're a Democrat you support Nixon?

Can't we have a common sense politician running Albany? Like it or not, but Albany is controlled by unions: no, not the unions who care about the common people but those who care about power and their own jobs. I'm not saying to get rid of 'unions', but let's rethink how our state is being run.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,114,463 times
Why is everything so black and white? If you're Republican, you support Trump?

Because that is nearly 100% true.
Not so much for Democrats and Nixon.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:07 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,001,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Why is everything so black and white? If you're Republican, you support Trump? If you're a Democrat you support Nixon?

Can't we have a common sense politician running Albany? Like it or not, but Albany is controlled by unions: no, not the unions who care about the common people but those who care about power and their own jobs. I'm not saying to get rid of 'unions', but let's rethink how our state is being run.
Bush and Obama were both centrists Presidents, and much of the nation felt they accomplished little.

If you support something, you support it being done all the way, not halfway.

Bernie's base, which refused to support Hillary wanted single payer healthcare for example and subsidized public college.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:08 AM

16,139 posts, read 6,881,763 times
I have had the pleasure of shaking hands with Mario Cuomo many years ago.
You could feel the strength in his hands and the aura of power he possessed.
He was brilliant, cared about the working stiff and can play the politics game better than
anybody. Don't sell his son short. He was around pops long enough to pick up many pointers
and knows exactly how to jocky for any position all the while helping the working man in this state.
He's doing a fine job as governor.

Can't say much for our 109th mayor............
Perfect example: He hasn't been helping the the working class in his last 2 tenures.
Sure knows how to bang us out for taxes though .... and its only gonna get worse......
Watch out Chicago NY is vying for first place.....L.O.L.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 AM

1,183 posts, read 710,039 times
Quote:
Bush and Obama were both centrists Presidents, and much of the nation felt they accomplished little.

If you support something, you support it being done all the way, not halfway.

Bernie's base, which refused to support Hillary wanted single payer healthcare for example and subsidized public college.

You are confusing two different things - the pragmatic not-tied to any one ideology politician (whom are increasing popular) versus the hidebound dogmatic approach.

Its not about putting in your toe only halfway to either side, its about taking the best ideas from both sides. Everyone not living under a rock by now knows that neither of your current two parties have a monopoly on the right ideas. In fact, left wing ideology and right wing ideology are looking increasingly silly to many younger voters. Both are unattractive. What works best is what works best, period.

Any non-shackled politician can propose both immigration reform AND a single payer healthcare system. And many would vote for both. Younger people aren't beholden to one job, one entertainment company, one cable channel, one phone company, one bank, and now one party - more like the politician themselves. That's all looking increasingly old-fashioned and inept. The dinosaurs on here notwithstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York