Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:45 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,324,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And I take that as high praise, I am probably to the left of everyone else on this forum, and proud of it.

Besides, I never called Cuomo far right, but rather "too far right for my tastes." There is a difference.
I disagree. You have many conservative tendencies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 06:37 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,110,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I disagree. You have many conservative tendencies.

Not really, except for staunch support of the Constitution and a dream of a nation that does not regularly spend spend more than it has, both amusing quirks in this day and age.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:53 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,998,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Not really, except for staunch support of the Constitution and a dream of a nation that does not regularly spend spend more than it has, both amusing quirks in this day and age.
You have a lot more conservative tendencies that you realize.

Your statements on Schneiderman's dismissal for example, complaining that Democrats got rid of their own when faced with scandal (as they should if the person has committed a crime and domestic violence is a crime).

Old 05-26-2018, 04:09 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I think you might be transferring some enthusiasm for Nixon into your characterization there. Its idiotic to say Cuomo is "terrified". However, consummate politician that he is, he's definitely changing his behavior to snag some on-the-fencers who would otherwise vote for her.

Lets face it - Cuomo will highly likely prevail in the primary. On the other hand, the state GOP is crossing its fingers that Nixon wins - they would stand a much better chance statewide of taking the governorship if they were running against Nixon - she's too far left.
"My" characterization? It's a quote from the article.

I agree - I expect Cuomo to win. On the other hand, why the hell can't we come up with a decent alternative?

Old 05-26-2018, 04:12 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
"My" characterization? It's a quote from the article.

I agree - I expect Cuomo to win. On the other hand, why the hell can't we come up with a decent alternative?

Because many people with excellent qualifications have better things to do than get involved with the cesspool that is NY politics.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:15 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,696,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Because many people with excellent qualifications have better things to do than get involved with the cesspool that is NY politics.
Yes - "many." Like, many people use Citibike, and many people like Mexican food, and many people watch PBS. But that doesn't answer my question.

Old 05-26-2018, 04:36 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Yes - "many." Like, many people use Citibike, and many people like Mexican food, and many people watch PBS. But that doesn't answer my question.

Just what successful businessman besides Bloomberg do you know that wants to or had gotten involved with NY politics. Even that RE guy who was going to run for mayor against BdeB dropped out.

First and foremost NYS on paper has a very weak governor. Cuomo has benefitted from both the former head of both assembly and senate being chucked out after criminal indictments. Given the amazing way GOP has managed to keep control of senate in an overwhelmingly democrat state AC has also managed to play both sides against each other. He's a democrat/liberal/progressive when suits; otherwise he does the other way.

In your mind go through all the governors of NYS and see where you can find one that didn't come out of either the two major political machines of this state, and or otherwise connected with politics. I believe Spitzer was the first in a long time and look what happened to him. The guy made too many noises about "reforming" Albany and the long knives came out.....

If you're a successful businessman or whatever why would you give all that up to get involved with the CF that is Albany? Governors of this state come and go every eight or twelve years; meanwhile members of senate or assembly have been in Albany for twenty or more years. Who do you think has the upper hand?

Old 05-26-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
And and for the most part political office in NY is dead end. We haven't had an NY politician in quite some time become President or Vice President or hold prominent positions in the cabinet. Trump never held office in NY, and has appointed people who similarly never held office in NY.

As big a joke as NY Democrats are, NY Republicans are jokes on the national level. Both Giuliani and Bloomberg did stuff that would be seen as excessively nanny state elsewhere and would not be tolerated. Giuliani's personal life was a wreck, and that's not tolerated by the national Republican party. Dumping his wife/the mother of his two children while in office for his mistress? Even three times married Trump is not that low!

Spitzer went after way too many people, in the financial sector and politics and this was an extreme abuse of power. In recent years certain AGs instead of just doing their job saw the AG office as a stepping stone to governor and then to President. It blew up in Spitzer's face, and it blew up in Scheiderman's face. And I think it may blow up in Cuomo's face. I'm not convinced he'll win at all.

Keep in mind Trump never should have WON the Republican primary according to political wisdom, much less the Presidency considering all the "experienced" and connected politicians he faced. And yet he did. Nixon may nor may not become the governor, but she does have a shot at winning. Cuomo himself is taking the threat very seriously. De Blasio won NYC twice, he can help deliver NYC for her. She does have name recognition, and in an area in which people suggest Oprah as President that helps.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:56 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,616,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And and for the most part political office in NY is dead end. We haven't had an NY politician in quite some time become President or Vice President or hold prominent positions in the cabinet. Trump never held office in NY, and has appointed people who similarly never held office in NY.
Doesn't mean Cuomo won't try. It'll be up to the DNC to tell him no.

Quote:
Spitzer went after way too many people, in the financial sector and politics and this was an extreme abuse of power. In recent years certain AGs instead of just doing their job saw the AG office as a stepping stone to governor and then to President. It blew up in Spitzer's face, and it blew up in Scheiderman's face. And I think it may blow up in Cuomo's face. I'm not convinced he'll win at all.
Cuomo is nothing like Spitzer or Scheiderman. The NY AG's office is often used as a liberal bully pulpit against Wall St/Big Buisness which I agree needs to stop. Cuomo's record is one of playing along to get along.

Quote:
Keep in mind Trump never should have WON the Republican primary according to political wisdom, much less the Presidency considering all the "experienced" and connected politicians he faced. And yet he did. Nixon may nor may not become the governor, but she does have a shot at winning. Cuomo himself is taking the threat very seriously. De Blasio won NYC twice, he can help deliver NYC for her. She does have name recognition, and in an area in which people suggest Oprah as President that helps.
No offense, but there are zero parallels between the national Republican primary electorate and the NYS governer's race. Trump won because he tapped into what sadly has always existed in America and that is white working class resentment. DeBlasio isn't particularly *Liked* by many he won because the unions/poverty industrial complex is bankrolled by him plus the republicans ran a weak candidate who still almost got to 30%.

My hope is for the ticket to split and the Republican to win. Albany needs some sanity. Nixon would bankrupt the state.

Old 05-27-2018, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Doesn't mean Cuomo won't try. It'll be up to the DNC to tell him no.

Cuomo is nothing like Spitzer or Scheiderman. The NY AG's office is often used as a liberal bully pulpit against Wall St/Big Buisness which I agree needs to stop. Cuomo's record is one of playing along to get along.

No offense, but there are zero parallels between the national Republican primary electorate and the NYS governer's race. Trump won because he tapped into what sadly has always existed in America and that is white working class resentment. DeBlasio isn't particularly *Liked* by many he won because the unions/poverty industrial complex is bankrolled by him plus the republicans ran a weak candidate who still almost got to 30%.

My hope is for the ticket to split and the Republican to win. Albany needs some sanity. Nixon would bankrupt the state.
Though the Republicans substantially got rid of rent regulations, which have lead to a rapid increase in homelessness. The Republican war on drugs and its long term effect on communities have essentially bankrupted the state as convicts will be in welfare permanently.

Nixon’s legalisation of weed would mean the state would get tax revenue on that front, instead of wasting it on prisoners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York