Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM

52 posts, read 174,979 times

Advertisements

I know the locals are not thrilled to have so many outsiders in Williston anyway, but do black people have a harder time finding jobs or fitting in? Are there any race problems in the area? Prob not many black people living in this area before the boom, but how about now? I do not realy want to move if I will be allmost the only one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post
I know the locals are not thrilled to have so many outsiders in Williston anyway, but do black people have a harder time finding jobs or fitting in? Are there any race problems in the area? Prob not many black people living in this area before the boom, but how about now? I do not realy want to move if I will be allmost the only one.
I am not living in Williston right now, I live in Grand Forks, we have lots of every race here, so I can't guess the numbers of black people there in Williston. Check the Williston College home page, I know we have had several black people there in school over the years. I do know that as a rule N.D. people accept all races. I am going to list a link from a young black man that worked the rigs last year, he may even have a link where you can email him. I hope someone can answer you with more factual numbers. Check the threads re: jobs, and advice from folks that have moved here. City Data has some great info on their home page just type williston, and stats re; every variable incl. by race will be listed. Check out this video.
poetskinny's Channel - YouTube

Old 12-29-2011, 06:37 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,903,448 times
From what I understand, the only race problem in Williston area is the race to the Walmart and campground bathrooms as there are many people wanting to use them.

Jasper Hobbs

Old 12-29-2011, 06:43 PM

249 posts, read 645,251 times
Check out Tim Octavian's website... A Black guy who worked on the rigs last year:

North Dakota Oil Jobs

Old 12-30-2011, 05:49 PM

52 posts, read 174,979 times
thanks 4 the links!

Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 PM

174 posts, read 378,694 times
A lot of the older people have some old school attitudes when it comes to race, but the ND culture will keep them from saying anything in public that could be considered "improper". That said, for the most part the color of your skin matters a lot less than the way you speak to people and behave here. Act respectfully and with good manners and you will get the same for the most part, same as anywhere else.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:57 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,833 times
OK, I am a bi-racial (black and white) female who has been working in Fargo for three months now. My experience has been somewhat positive.

-people will do a double take when they see you ESPECIALLY if its another black person, because a whole day can go by without seeing another African American. Yes, you might see Somolians, but another AA....ive gone days.

- people will generally be interested in your blackness. They wont OVERTLY come out and ask you about it, but you will be able to tell. Remember, there are NO black radio stations up here or BET, so Tyler Perry Films and Oprah (for what shes worth) are the extent of there exposure to black culure. So if anyone says anything "funny" they are probably just curious, and are not trying to offend you.

Generally the people here are very helpful and friendly. Ive had a few older people look at me like I am an alien, and I over-heard a white boy say the "N" word while I was out drinking one night. But this area of the country is far from racist, or supressive, they are conservative, but its not the same ignorant conservative you will see in....Alabama or Mississippi.

I feel I have learned ALOT from North Dakotans, they are hard-working people, who for the most part are morally grounded and do the right thing. The rest of the COUNTRY could learn alot from them. There is alot of underlying reasons as to why they are so prosperous - and it started way before the oil was even thought of.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,209,320 times
Dutygal, just an fyi, I get BET in Grand Forks on midcontinent. check your cable provider.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:13 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
US2010

Old 12-31-2011, 10:52 AM

80 posts, read 272,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post
Good ending to a not so good story. Good Luck and go after your dream!

Brown recognized as Arkansas football trailblazer - College Football - Rivals.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston