Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:17 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Dutygal, just an fyi, I get BET in Grand Forks on midcontinent. check your cable provider.

We have some other provider @ this hotel. I'm not sure the name of it, but i know its not midco because of that NDSU football game mishap a few weeks ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 32,863 times
I have found that race doesn't matter as much if you are a positive person. I have been treated better in Bismarck than in New Jersey! Work hard, Pray Hard and be respectful! You will love North Dakota

Old 01-08-2012, 10:27 PM

52 posts, read 174,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
OK, I am a bi-racial (black and white) female who has been working in Fargo for three months now. My experience has been somewhat positive.

-people will do a double take when they see you ESPECIALLY if its another black person, because a whole day can go by without seeing another African American. Yes, you might see Somolians, but another AA....ive gone days.

- people will generally be interested in your blackness. They wont OVERTLY come out and ask you about it, but you will be able to tell. Remember, there are NO black radio stations up here or BET, so Tyler Perry Films and Oprah (for what shes worth) are the extent of there exposure to black culure. So if anyone says anything "funny" they are probably just curious, and are not trying to offend you.

Generally the people here are very helpful and friendly. Ive had a few older people look at me like I am an alien, and I over-heard a white boy say the "N" word while I was out drinking one night. But this area of the country is far from racist, or supressive, they are conservative, but its not the same ignorant conservative you will see in....Alabama or Mississippi.

I feel I have learned ALOT from North Dakotans, they are hard-working people, who for the most part are morally grounded and do the right thing. The rest of the COUNTRY could learn alot from them. There is alot of underlying reasons as to why they are so prosperous - and it started way before the oil was even thought of.

DAYS? you've gone days without seeing another AA? do you know if that is true for williston also? all the stats say there are allmost zero AA, but I know they calculated that before the boom. but what about now?

Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
quietlake, if the other poster in Fargo has gone days in between seeing another black person, than Williston has got to be worse. Here in G.F. I'd venture there are lots more nationalities, maybe because of UND, or the Air Force. We have plenty of Blacks, mexicans, bosnians, middle easterners, oriental, native americans, east indians, iranians, west africans, germans, swedish, norwegians, and heintz 57's like me. Sorry if I left any one out. Hearing some of the stuff going on there in the western half of N.D. would frighten me more than the nationality situation.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:23 AM

419 posts, read 1,396,227 times
I live in Fargo and I work at the Fargo public Library. I see African Americans there every day--in addition to Somalis, Nepalis, Sudanese, etc.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Here is the CityData home page stats after I did a search for Williston. This page offers info of all kinds for every city over 5000 pop. It is awesome, everything you'd think of to ask and more, stats, pics.....https://www.city-data.com/city/Willis...th-Dakota.html
Looks like in 09 there were only 49 black people in Williston. Not sure when the 2010, 2011 updates come in.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:22 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
quietlake, if the other poster in Fargo has gone days in between seeing another black person, than Williston has got to be worse. Here in G.F. I'd venture there are lots more nationalities, maybe because of UND, or the Air Force. We have plenty of Blacks, mexicans, bosnians, middle easterners, oriental, native americans, east indians, iranians, west africans, germans, swedish, norwegians, and heintz 57's like me. Sorry if I left any one out. Hearing some of the stuff going on there in the western half of N.D. would frighten me more than the nationality situation.
I could be wrong, but I would think that with the influx of people coming to North Dakota's Bakken Oil Field, the numbers would be reversed. I would fully expect to see more Black people in the Williston area. Remember, they are recruiting people from all over the country for the oil patch.

It would be interesting to see what the current stats are.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:34 PM

611 posts, read 1,455,580 times
S
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post
DAYS? you've gone days without seeing another AA? do you know if that is true for williston also? all the stats say there are allmost zero AA, but I know they calculated that before the boom. but what about now?
I would expect williston to have more AA because of the boom. But aside from my three black coworkers, in town from the south for work, i don't see many others. I'm aware NDSU is diverse, but I'm not a college student and. Not on that side of town, so i don't see it. The general rule seems to be the younger the population (colleges, grade schools) the more diverse. I see a lot more miinority kids than adults (@my daughters school) i would say my daughters school in west fargo has 10% minorities...while my job (with about 300 people on sight is about 96% white) so age is a factor as well. Towns like Minot and Grand Forks have military bases so its more diverse.

The only thing that gets to me is the lack of diverse radio stations. Satellite radio is a MUST up here. But like i said the people are nice and its clean and peaceful here. You get used to it after awhile. It will be culture shock especially if your coming from a predominately black area. Your gonna be busy making money anyway. Explore the culture and look at it as a learning experience.

Last edited by duttygal86; 01-11-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietlake View Post
I know the locals are not thrilled to have so many outsiders in Williston anyway, but do black people have a harder time finding jobs or fitting in? Are there any race problems in the area? Prob not many black people living in this area before the boom, but how about now? I do not realy want to move if I will be allmost the only one.
You can find your answer here. Now that you've found the census page for the state that you seek; it's time to find the city.

Williston (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

^^^According to the US census, Williston has a population of 14,716 (with 0.3% of that total being black). If my math is correct, there are roughly 44 black people living in Williston. Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:02 PM

174 posts, read 378,634 times
You can't depend on Census data for infomation on Williston. The town has just grown too quickly and when they did the Census most people put down where they came from as their residence. While blacks are still not very numerous, the town is definitely not as racially homogenous as it was when I moved here in 05.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston