Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2022, 04:55 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times

Advertisements

If it’s nearly impossible to move to Canada, I wonder why people say “if Trump wins the presidency, I am moving to Canada”. I guess they don’t know that they are stuck here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 05:24 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
If it’s nearly impossible to move to Canada, I wonder why people say “if Trump wins the presidency, I am moving to Canada”. I guess they don’t know that they are stuck here.
I done tol' you upthread, the IRCC woman (Canadian Immigration) told me at the border in 2018 that after the 2016 election, 8000 Americans a month were applying to move to Canada.

Old 07-05-2022, 05:49 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
It isn't nearly impossible for people who meet Canada's requirements to immigrate to Canada, otherwise Canada wouldn't be welcoming between 300,000 to over 400,000 new immigrants annually, as has been happening in recent years. See for yourself:

https://www.cicnews.com/2022/05/how-...html#gs.5ix79j

I don't think people in Canada care or wonder why other people say "if so-and-so is elected to the (whatever position) I am moving to Canada" because people who say stuff like that are feeling resentment and injured pride and are just saying it out of pique to annoy their politically opposite counterparts. They don't really mean it, they don't care about Canada or know much about it, and they don't want to make any effort to meet the requirements to immigrate to Canada or to any other country either for that matter. So yeah, people like that on ALL sides of the American political spectrum don't qualify and don't want to qualify, they are stuck where they are, all political talk and bluster with nothing to show for it. Canada doesn't want people like that anyway, they have no real loyalties except to themselves.

People who do qualify and really do want to move keep their mouthes shut about it, they don't say anything about it to anyone until just after they have been approved and accepted and are making ready to move.

Since you're commenting about the American presidency, I can tell you that Americans who successfully immigrate to Canada do so because they actually like Canada more than America, they qualify to immigrate, they want to contribute to and be an active part of Canadian society, they make an effort to bring value to the table and they want to come to Canada and completely leave behind and forget about all forms of American politics.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-05-2022 at 06:01 PM..

Old 07-05-2022, 06:15 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
^Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

Old 07-06-2022, 06:24 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It isn't nearly impossible for people who meet Canada's requirements to immigrate to Canada, otherwise Canada wouldn't be welcoming between 300,000 to over 400,000 new immigrants annually, as has been happening in recent years. See for yourself:

https://www.cicnews.com/2022/05/how-...html#gs.5ix79j

I don't think people in Canada care or wonder why other people say "if so-and-so is elected to the (whatever position) I am moving to Canada" because people who say stuff like that are feeling resentment and injured pride and are just saying it out of pique to annoy their politically opposite counterparts. They don't really mean it, they don't care about Canada or know much about it, and they don't want to make any effort to meet the requirements to immigrate to Canada or to any other country either for that matter. So yeah, people like that on ALL sides of the American political spectrum don't qualify and don't want to qualify, they are stuck where they are, all political talk and bluster with nothing to show for it. Canada doesn't want people like that anyway, they have no real loyalties except to themselves.

People who do qualify and really do want to move keep their mouthes shut about it, they don't say anything about it to anyone until just after they have been approved and accepted and are making ready to move.

Since you're commenting about the American presidency, I can tell you that Americans who successfully immigrate to Canada do so because they actually like Canada more than America, they qualify to immigrate, they want to contribute to and be an active part of Canadian society, they make an effort to bring value to the table and they want to come to Canada and completely leave behind and forget about all forms of American politics.

I was looking into moving to Canada because America no longer supports my values. (I lived in Toronto while my husband was working there). I am 67 years old and retired. The gun laws are an issue, and most likely won’t change for a long time. The Supreme Court is unbalanced, and overturning Roe V Wade was a blow to women. I don’t feel safe in this country anymore. The shootings are happening weekly. My sister lives in Arizona, so I would be closer to her. Vancouver is a peaceful and beautiful area, and I would be happy living in that environment.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:31 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
Quote:
I was looking into moving to Canada because America no longer supports my values. (I lived in Toronto while my husband was working there). I am 67 years old and retired. The gun laws are an issue, and most likely won’t change for a long time. The Supreme Court is unbalanced, and overturning Roe V Wade was a blow to women. I don’t feel safe in this country anymore. The shootings are happening weekly. My sister lives in Arizona, so I would be closer to her. Vancouver is a peaceful and beautiful area, and I would be happy living in that environment.
Can you not go live somewhere else in America that is really close to your sister?

I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to rag on you or make you feel bad, but I think you missed the point of my post. I understand that you are getting old and you're frightened and alone now, and it's far too late now for you to consider a move to another country because, unless you are extremely wealthy, you are no longer an asset, you have become burdensome due to your age and it's likely that no other country will accept you now. So now you belong to America whether you want it or not, you are America's property and responsibility. I don't say that as an insult, it's just the truth, it is what it is and it's something that all of us seniors face and should be prepared to accept regardless of what country we live in.

But I personally don't think any of the things you mentioned above are valid reasons for anyone of any age wanting to escape from America and come to Canada. The things that are making you unhappy in America right now are all things that can be fixed and American values can change for the better. Perhaps a lot sooner than later if climate change continues to rattle everybody's cages and people will have to all pull together and cooperate if they want to survive. No country will be exempt from that eventuality, we are all in the same boat in all countries.

You say that America no longer supports "your" values ...... but you didn't say anything about what you may or may not understand are "Canada's" values or about whether or not you actually support Canadian values.

You speak of your own happiness (or your lack of it now at this late stage of your life) so you are speaking in terms of the American constitutional motto "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" because that demand is engrained in Americans as individuals, it's what they expect as their right. But I wonder if you know what Canada's constitutional counterpart motto is or even means to Canadians as a whole ..... "Peace, Order and Good Government" is Canada's motto. It doesn't mean the same things as America's motto nor does it represent the same kinds of flagrant liberties that Americans believe in and demand as their "god given" constitutional rights.

Americans who don't fully understand what Canada is all about through and through suffer from culture shock when they visit or move to Canada for any length of time and realize what makes Canada tick. Other people who come to Canada from other countries expect there to be major differences and that they will need to re-evaluate their own cultural values and change many of their values if they want to successfully fit into Canadian society, so they don't suffer so much culture shock as Americans do when they have to make changes to their American values.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-06-2022 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-06-2022, 07:47 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,764,113 times
As an American, all of this talk about moving to Canada to merely retire or escape injustice down here befuddles me too. Canada has perhaps one of the best immigration systems in the world which narrows down to the individuals they want admitted to the country and usually those are respectful, responsible, and perhaps most importantly resourceful individuals. Rick Leary, the current CEO of the Toronto Transit Commission (TTC), and the former boss of one of my former bosses, is one such individual. With three higher education degrees including one from prestigious Harvard University on top of a stellar CV culminating as Chief Operating Officer of our transit system, the MBTA, Leary has what it takes to move to Canada to continue his career and perhaps ultimately gain Canadian citizenship along the way because few individuals throughout North America if not the world could fill his unique and difficult role. Someone like Leary doesn't even have to ask Canada can he come, Canada would ask him can he come. That is the standard a prospective immigrant into Canada ought to set for him/herself, it's not just "I hate my country, please take me!" or "Ooh I fell in love with Vancouver, I think I'll just move there". If you're not resourceful, why should Canada want you? Heck, the US has been asking prospective immigrants the same question for a long time now so I don't see the difference.

I'd like to actually end as a message to my fellow Americans thinking that our government has let them down with a quote from the president who is on the obverse of our 50 cent coin, "Ask not what your Country can do for you, ask what you can do for your Country."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver