Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 03:31 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
-moderate temps (70-80s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
Thank you. I was checking into W Vancouver. Temp preference is year round.

Not happening anywhere in Canada. Residents of Victoria love to talk about their gobs of sunshine and having the best climate in Canada (which it is), but the average high temperature doesn't even hit 70 in July or August, much less the rest of the year. In the winter, it's in the 40s.

Maybe you should be looking in Mexico. Or Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2022, 03:58 PM

185 posts, read 114,092 times
There is no such Lord of the Rings meme like that, I'm saying someone should make one because it's absolutely true.

To be fair, most people go through their entire lives never moving to another country so unless they've experienced the immigration systems firsthand and/or looked into it (I've done both), they have no idea what it involves and how you don't just go wherever you want and decide you want to live there. It's like wanting to move to another person's house - you don't just barge in and say you want to live there, it's not your property, you have to get permission from the owner, and depending on whether they want or need you living there, they have the right to say no no matter who you are and what you have.

That 8000 number is absolutely crazysauce. And I can imagine with all the insanity the US is facing, what with the economy, current events, etc. that number could very well be true - and going up. And Canada is besieged with the Ukrainian refugee situation which is probably the immigration priority right now. OP sounds like he has deep pockets and might well be able to make it work somehow via an entrepreneur path - not so much for people like myself who have nothing like that. If I could cough up money for an immigration attorney, I'd be tempted to ask about the federal skilled worker advice but right now it's not an option. I have gotten at least 3 different employers interested in my job applications, which of course goes nowhere once they realize I have no right to work. I just can't cross that right to work permit hurdle right now. Just got a rejection today from a Vancouver university in fact - disappointed but not surprised of course.

Old 06-07-2022, 04:42 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post
First off, Canada is not at all the country for you if you want 70-80 degree temperatures year round. Canada is not Texas and even Vancouver gets pretty cold in winter and I believe it's the warmest city in Canada or one of the warmest? (Canadians/residents, am I right?)
I find it impossible to believe, that the OP would expect there's a corner of Canada somewhere, that is between 70-80 degrees F year-round. Come on, OP; you weren't really expecting that, were you? You can get that for summer temps on the West Coast, but due to climate change, they've been having occasional heat waves beyond that range. Seattle registered in the realm of 115 for close to a week, a year or two ago. Freak weather is happening.

And has anyone mentioned the forest fires and smoke issues that have been intense in BC? You might want to maintain a small summer getaway in coastal CA or WA for the summers. I'm just trying to be realistic .

P.S. Even northern and central California (coast) don't meet your temp requirements. There's fog in the evenings nearly year-round, which make the cool evening temps feel much colder, and NorCal gets down into the 50's and even occasionally--the 40's during the day in winter. Colder at night. I enjoy it, personally; it gives a seasonality to the year. You'll definitely need a wool coat and a wool jacket in winter in Marin County, or anywhere in the Bay Area, if you decide to settle there.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-07-2022 at 04:52 PM..

Old 06-07-2022, 04:48 PM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
There is no such Lord of the Rings meme like that, I'm saying someone should make one because it's absolutely true.

To be fair, most people go through their entire lives never moving to another country so unless they've experienced the immigration systems firsthand and/or looked into it (I've done both), they have no idea what it involves and how you don't just go wherever you want and decide you want to live there. It's like wanting to move to another person's house - you don't just barge in and say you want to live there, it's not your property, you have to get permission from the owner, and depending on whether they want or need you living there, they have the right to say no no matter who you are and what you have.

That 8000 number is absolutely crazysauce. And I can imagine with all the insanity the US is facing, what with the economy, current events, etc. that number could very well be true - and going up. And Canada is besieged with the Ukrainian refugee situation which is probably the immigration priority right now. OP sounds like he has deep pockets and might well be able to make it work somehow via an entrepreneur path - not so much for people like myself who have nothing like that. If I could cough up money for an immigration attorney, I'd be tempted to ask about the federal skilled worker advice but right now it's not an option. I have gotten at least 3 different employers interested in my job applications, which of course goes nowhere once they realize I have no right to work. I just can't cross that right to work permit hurdle right now. Just got a rejection today from a Vancouver university in fact - disappointed but not surprised of course.
Good point, bolded. RE: potential entrepreneur path, I'm wondering if there might be a category for people who, like the OP, will bring their job with them (via online business, which the OP has mentioned elsewhere), so they won't be taking jobs away from Canadians, yet they'd be paying Canadian income and other taxes, so--paying into the system.

Since work-from-home is so relatively new, the Immigration Service may not have caught up with this new reality, but an immigration lawyer might be able to push it through. Just a thought.

Anyway, OP---check out all parts of West Van, including Howe Sound.

Old 06-07-2022, 06:51 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:

Oh yes, let's make the meme!!!

I have no reason to think the woman from Canadian Immigration questioning me at the border crossing was making up that 8,000 number. I imagine it has slowed with time, but you never know.

The lawyer I used for my extension said they are backed up now paperwork-wise between Afghani and Ukrainian refugees.

Old 06-07-2022, 07:17 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
That 8000 number is absolutely crazysauce.
Perspective. 8000 is 0.0002% of the US population.

99.9998% of Americans are not applying to live in Canada every month.

You have to think about things like this, when you hear that Americans are fleeing to Canada, etc.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:24 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can't tell you how many times since I've been in this relationship that American friends have asked me if I'm moving to Canada and then just look puzzled when I say, "You can't just decide to move to Canada."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's amazing how clueless Americans are about moving to Canada. My own parents discussed the possibility of retiring to Vancouver Island, as if all you had to do was drive across the border and buy a house.
Question for Mightyqueen and Ruth and any others who care to answer: If Americans think they can just up-stakes and move to Canada on a whim, do they feel the same way about moving to the UK or Australia or Ireland? That is, there will be no immigration procedures, no vetting, no paperwork, just show up at the border, saying, "I'd like to live here," and getting the response, "Well, come on in!"

I know what my ex-wife (an American) had to go through to gain permanent residency in Canada; and I know what my brother-in-law (an Australian) had to go through to do the same. Neither had an easy time of it. Not because they had any bad marks on their records, but because there are forms and fees and checks; and it takes time, must be done from outside Canada, and there are a lot of Canadian bureaucrats with red tape in the way, who take their time. In the end, both my ex and my BIL got in, but it wasn't anything like just showing up at the border and saying "I'd like to live in Canada."

I'm sure that the UK and Australia (among others) do the same thing. So, back to my question: do Americans think they can "just show up at the border" in the UK and/or Australia, and be welcomed as permanent residents? Or do they only think this about Canada?

Old 06-08-2022, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Perspective. 8000 is 0.0002% of the US population.

99.9998% of Americans are not applying to live in Canada every month.

You have to think about things like this, when you hear that Americans are fleeing to Canada, etc.
Very true. While the 8,000 number surprised me--and apparently the IRCC, as well, at the time--I also know from the reactions I get since I've been coming up that the majority of Americans don't want to move to a place as cold as it gets in many parts in the winter. I was lucky enough to spend a few winters in a rural part of Ontario, and it was beautiful and magical. Of course, I did not have to get up and drive in it every day.

Old 06-08-2022, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Question for Mightyqueen and Ruth and any others who care to answer: If Americans think they can just up-stakes and move to Canada on a whim, do they feel the same way about moving to the UK or Australia or Ireland? That is, there will be no immigration procedures, no vetting, no paperwork, just show up at the border, saying, "I'd like to live here," and getting the response, "Well, come on in!"

I know what my ex-wife (an American) had to go through to gain permanent residency in Canada; and I know what my brother-in-law (an Australian) had to go through to do the same. Neither had an easy time of it. Not because they had any bad marks on their records, but because there are forms and fees and checks; and it takes time, must be done from outside Canada, and there are a lot of Canadian bureaucrats with red tape in the way, who take their time. In the end, both my ex and my BIL got in, but it wasn't anything like just showing up at the border and saying "I'd like to live in Canada."

I'm sure that the UK and Australia (among others) do the same thing. So, back to my question: do Americans think they can "just show up at the border" in the UK and/or Australia, and be welcomed as permanent residents? Or do they only think this about Canada?
I don't know the exact answer to your question, but I suspect they view Canada differently than those other, "far-away" countries, because to be frank, half the time we Americans aren't really even aware that you guys are here. It's like some sorta outpost of the U.K. that happens to be on the same continent, and there are a few big cities and some moose and a lot of trees and open space.

Then again, I grew up in NJ in the New York metropolitan area, and we actually aren't even aware half the time that the rest of our own country exists.

Oh, we know that Michael J. Fox and Peter Jennings are/were Canadian, and a few others, but I know I didn't think too much about Canada for most of my life. In the later part of my working years, however, I became aware that a lot of big engineering firms that did work on public facilities like airports and bridges in the USA also did similar work in Canada, and then I realized that this big firm that came out of nowhere and started swallowing up long-established NY engineering firms was CANADIAN. (WSP). There's a serious invasion going on in the public engineering sector. A very polite invasion.

Listen, I love my country. My dad fought in WWII in the US Army and lost his legs long before he married my mother and had my siblings and me. But we really are raised hearing that we are the best country in the world, even when we aren't, and so the mindset is sort of that Canada would of course be happy to have these wonderful American folks move there, because who wouldn't want to have us? Tongue in cheek here, but it's not entirely baseless.

Old 06-08-2022, 01:59 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,406,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the later part of my working years, however, I became aware that a lot of big engineering firms that did work on public facilities like airports and bridges in the USA also did similar work in Canada, and then I realized that this big firm that came out of nowhere and started swallowing up long-established NY engineering firms was CANADIAN. (WSP). There's a serious invasion going on in the public engineering sector. A very polite invasion.
OK, gotta ask: what firm is "WSP"? I'm familiar with Ellis-Don (they built the Skydome in Toronto), and PCL (aka Pitts, that built the new Calgary Courthouse), but "WSP"? Who are they?

Quote:
Listen, I love my country. My dad fought in WWII in the US Army and lost his legs long before he married my mother and had my siblings and me. But we really are raised hearing that we are the best country in the world, even when we aren't, and so the mindset is sort of that Canada would of course be happy to have these wonderful American folks move there, because who wouldn't want to have us? Tongue in cheek here, but it's not entirely baseless.
You should love your country. It's your home, after all.

I had relatives in the wars: a great-uncle who was in WWI, as part of the C.E.F., and a cousin who was an RCAF pilot in WWII, who didn't make it home. His last letter home (received after the news of his death reached his family in Canada) is now a family heirloom, and it has never been opened. I now own it, and I will pass it on, with instructions to never open it. My uncle fought in the Battle of the Atlantic, on a Canadian corvette, and has the medals to show it.

Sadly, and much more recently, a friend of mine lost his leg in a Canadian Forces training exercise. He survived, but it's been a long way back, a lot of surgery, a lot of physiotherapy, a lot of everything from his friends and family. He just deals--his car has been adjusted so he can drive it with his left foot, and his bike has only one working pedal, but he loves to ride his bike.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 06-08-2022 at 02:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver