Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2022, 12:42 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I had seen that in other posts, and I'm so sorry MQ, just no words.

We have both verifiable income and private healthcare insurance, but it still looked like it would be a very long process, with us being a very low priority, if approved at all. We weren't interested in the Canadian benefit system, but I do understand the requirements.

I WAS a bit surprised that it was much harder than I thought it would be.
Americans can come in and stay up to six months in a year, so some people split their time between Canada and another home, often in Florida or the Southwest. Lots of retired Canadians spend winters in the States, too.

Old 06-06-2022, 11:39 AM

185 posts, read 114,092 times
Butting in as another US person who's been smoking the same pipe dream of moving to Canada and has researched this issue very thoroughly for more than one country/continent that yes, OP needs to consult an immigration attorney first and foremost. I feel like I've been running into this particular wish a lot recently, both at C-D and another forum I frequent. Someone really needs to make that meme from Lord of the Rings where that one dude says "one does not merely move to Canada."

OP, you might want to Google something along the lines of "Canadian immigration assessment" - that will bring up some websites Canadian immigration law firms set up to see what your chances are to get immigration via the points system, etc. You fill out info about your situation and put in your contact info and someone from one of the firms contacts you to discuss your case. Expect to spend somewhere in the realm of $1000-2000+ for initial retainer fees (although unlike me, it sounds like money is of no issue to you); at least that's what I was quoted. Be warned that while they won't give you wrong advice per se, their primary motivation seems to be to drum up business so you might get, well, conflicting advice? I filled out two - one firm insisted I could potentially qualify for express entry pool via the Federal Skilled Worker path; another insisted I could only try for a student visa by applying to go to college in Canada and then kept repeating the same sales pitch when I asked him about the FSW program. But if nothing else, consulting an attorney will keep you from having to deal with the utter hellbeast that is the IRCC website (don't even get me started on how awful that thing is - I'm ready to give up on this even as a pipe dream over that alone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 07:56 PM

46 posts, read 46,711 times
Quote:
It may be just me, but if I could afford a 6M house, I would be using a professional and not posting here. No offense to CD.

I had looked at the process of Canadian citizenship and it seems like as a retiree it is pretty much a no go. I was just curious, so a cursory look at the process.
As in a broker? Sure, once I can narrow down general area.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lollycat View Post
I can’t think of a community that is predominantly upper middle class except sections of West Vancouver and Victoria that give you a chance at mountain views and waterfront. And generally I don’t remember them being very pedestrian friendly.

Is this temperature preference a year round thing or just a summer thing. I’d say your best chance of finding a place is to start checking out communities on Vancouver Island, Coastal communities, Mountain communities and maybe the Kootenays. Most of the Wiki pages will give you an idea of industry, average temps and economic status. You can also check out the cities’ and towns’ websites to get some idea of amenities.

DH’s dream location was Nelson but even though it’s average winter temps were above freezing it could get as cold as up here. Also the poverty rate is twice the provincial average so it’s beautifully restored walkable downtown and Kootenay lakefront nestled in the mountains doesn’t fulfil your list.

I can’t be more helpful then that because your first and fourth conditions eliminate everywhere I know best.
Thank you. I was checking into W Vancouver. Temp preference is year round.

Old 06-06-2022, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post
Butting in as another US person who's been smoking the same pipe dream of moving to Canada and has researched this issue very thoroughly for more than one country/continent that yes, OP needs to consult an immigration attorney first and foremost. I feel like I've been running into this particular wish a lot recently, both at C-D and another forum I frequent. Someone really needs to make that meme from Lord of the Rings where that one dude says "one does not merely move to Canada."

OP, you might want to Google something along the lines of "Canadian immigration assessment" - that will bring up some websites Canadian immigration law firms set up to see what your chances are to get immigration via the points system, etc. You fill out info about your situation and put in your contact info and someone from one of the firms contacts you to discuss your case. Expect to spend somewhere in the realm of $1000-2000+ for initial retainer fees (although unlike me, it sounds like money is of no issue to you); at least that's what I was quoted. Be warned that while they won't give you wrong advice per se, their primary motivation seems to be to drum up business so you might get, well, conflicting advice? I filled out two - one firm insisted I could potentially qualify for express entry pool via the Federal Skilled Worker path; another insisted I could only try for a student visa by applying to go to college in Canada and then kept repeating the same sales pitch when I asked him about the FSW program. But if nothing else, consulting an attorney will keep you from having to deal with the utter hellbeast that is the IRCC website (don't even get me started on how awful that thing is - I'm ready to give up on this even as a pipe dream over that alone).
I can just buy a running business, or open one up (create jobs) if I have to from what I have read. A lot of countries say if you invest X dollars you can move. I assume something like that is an option as well. Immigration will happen, its just a matter of money and time.

Old 06-06-2022, 09:19 PM

185 posts, read 114,092 times
First off, Canada is not at all the country for you if you want 70-80 degree temperatures year round. Canada is not Texas and even Vancouver gets pretty cold in winter and I believe it's the warmest city in Canada or one of the warmest? (Canadians/residents, am I right?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiIQ View Post
I can just buy a running business, or open one up (create jobs) if I have to from what I have read. A lot of countries say if you invest X dollars you can move. I assume something like that is an option as well. Immigration will happen, its just a matter of money and time.

I certainly admire your confidence. I can't speak to the entrepreneur path since I've only looked into the paths I was thinking feasible for myself. I will say I doubt even spending a lot of money guarantees you can get in however and whenever you want; there are still plenty of hoops to jump through. Immigration is a long, rigorous, expensive process that can take years and often not work out nevertheless, as I speak this an an immigrant to the US who knows what my own family went through to come here and knows what it'd take for me to move to Canada, UK, etc. (and which is also why I've largely given up on the UK and only apply to jobs in Canada in the wild-goose hope that I can find one specialized enough where they'd be willing to sponsor me, fat chance of that). At the very least in your case I would still check out the IRCC, at the most I'd consult an immigration attorney. Just my opinion though.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendaraven View Post

<snipped for brevity>

Wait, I don't remember that. Is that true? I'm going to have to check that out!

I can't tell you how many times since I've been in this relationship that American friends have asked me if I'm moving to Canada and then just look puzzled when I say, "You can't just decide to move to Canada."

I've posted this before, but in May of 2018, on my tenth trip up here, I was asked at the border to speak to Immigration. The woman asked me a lot of questions, and once satisfied that I wasn't try to sneak into the country and not return home, told me that since the 2016 election, 8000 Americans were applying to move here every month.

Property ownership alone won't do it. Remember that during the year+ border closure, all those American property owners couldn't even get to their Canadian properties to check them out. And, as has been pointed out, foreigners cannot buy property here for the next two years anyway.

As has been advised, OP should consult an immigration lawyer with his specifics.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:21 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
It may be just me, but if I could afford a 6M house, I would be using a professional and not posting here. No offense to CD.

I had looked at the process of Canadian citizenship and it seems like as a retiree it is pretty much a no go. I was just curious, so a cursory look at the process.
It's a no-go, unless you have close relatives there, who are citizens. Then you can immigrate under a family reunification policy. Otherwise, you're right.

Old 06-07-2022, 10:26 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wait, I don't remember that. Is that true? I'm going to have to check that out!

I can't tell you how many times since I've been in this relationship that American friends have asked me if I'm moving to Canada and then just look puzzled when I say, "You can't just decide to move to Canada."

I've posted this before, but in May of 2018, on my tenth trip up here, I was asked at the border to speak to Immigration. The woman asked me a lot of questions, and once satisfied that I wasn't try to sneak into the country and not return home, told me that since the 2016 election, 8000 Americans were applying to move here every month.

Property ownership alone won't do it. Remember that during the year+ border closure, all those American property owners couldn't even get to their Canadian properties to check them out. And, as has been pointed out, foreigners cannot buy property here for the next two years anyway.

As has been advised, OP should consult an immigration lawyer with his specifics.
I heard the same thing, after the Bush II election/s. In fact, a Canadian friend told me, that scads of Americans actually WERE moving to Canada, which sounded very odd, considering how next to impossible that is. She claimed, that her small town in eastern BC was seeing an influx.

Canadians shouldn't start rumors like that. No wonder they were besieged with applications after 2016.

It's amazing how clueless Americans are about moving to Canada. My own parents discussed the possibility of retiring to Vancouver Island, as if all you had to do was drive across the border and buy a house.

OP, have you checked the Canadian embassy website, or an immigration website, to see what the criteria are for moving to Canada? that would be a good place to start. Since you'll be bringing your own job with you, and paying Canadian taxes, there might be a loophole that allows for that, I don't know. (Since work-from-home is a fairly new phenom.)

Back on the CA forum, when you said you had a thread up on the Vancouver forum, I assumed you meant, Vancouver WA. You may not have the option of moving to Vancouver, Canada. But to answer your question, West Van is very nice. And if you go around the corner, to the part of West Van that's on Howe Sound, you're greeted with spectacular mountain views. It's like a completely different world, as if you'd suddenly been transported to a Norwegian fjord! You could look in Horseshoe Bay and Gleneagles, or farther up the fjord in smaller communities. You'll get hooked on the views! All communities in the West Van area are upscale. Look at some of the RE listings, and you'll see.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-07-2022 at 10:37 AM..

Old 06-07-2022, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I heard the same thing, after the Bush II election/s. In fact, a Canadian friend told me, that scads of Americans actually WERE moving to Canada, which sounded very odd, considering how next to impossible that is. She claimed, that her small town in eastern BC was seeing an influx.

Canadians shouldn't start rumors like that. No wonder they were besieged with applications after 2016.

It's amazing how clueless Americans are about moving to Canada. My own parents discussed the possibility of retiring to Vancouver Island, as if all you had to do was drive across the border and buy a house.

OP, have you checked the Canadian embassy website, or an immigration website, to see what the criteria are for moving to Canada? that would be a good place to start. Since you'll be bringing your own job with you, and paying Canadian taxes, there might be a loophole that allows for that, I don't know. (Since work-from-home is a fairly new phenom.)

Back on the CA forum, when you said you had a thread up on the Vancouver forum, I assumed you meant, Vancouver WA. You may not have the option of moving to Vancouver, Canada. But to answer your question, West Van is very nice. And if you go around the corner, to the part of West Van that's on Howe Sound, you're greeted with spectacular mountain views. It's like a completely different world, as if you'd suddenly been transported to a Norwegian fjord! You could look in Horseshoe Bay and Gleneagles, or farther up the fjord in smaller communities. You'll get hooked on the views! All communities in the West Van area are upscale. Look at some of the RE listings, and you'll see.
In a sadly hilarious side note, a long-time poster on City-Data posted a few months before the last presidential election that if Biden were elected, he was going to force all Americans to get vaccinated and a tracking chip would be inserted into us at that time. Her plan was to take her husband, grandchildren, and dogs and move to Canada. I wondered how receptive she thought Canada would be to her crazy ass.

She has not posted since March of 2021, with her last post being about a celebrity and no indication of any major change in her life. Maybe she made her way up here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver