Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 02:44 PM

215 posts, read 144,222 times

Advertisements

Colt m1911a1

hk usp 45

g21 sf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 11:01 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,760,940 times
Best? That's too subjective. How about favorite(s)?

Most favored is my dad's old stainless Ruger Mark II Standard. Traded him for my blued Mark II Standard. I just love that thing. Dead accurate, and even though a pain to field strip, once you know the trick, it's pretty easy. My dad's gone now, but his spirit lives on every time I use that Mark II.

My other favorite is an older S&W M&P 9 Shield with an Apex trigger. Also a sweet shooter and my choice for carry.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-12-2023, 12:52 PM

992 posts, read 515,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
My two favorite pistols in 9mm would be a Glock & my HK VP9, they are easy to shoot, clean and both are extremely reliable!
My favorite pistol in my wife's collection is her HK VP9 Match!

Old 09-12-2023, 03:30 PM

844 posts, read 418,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
My other favorite is an older S&W M&P 9 Shield with an Apex trigger. Also a sweet shooter and my choice for carry.
I also have a S&W M&P 9 Shield, but I prefer the 45 Shield better. It's the softest & the most accurate shooter for me among the 9, 40, and 45.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:30 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
I just can't pick out a "favorite" gat. I have mentioned a few here, mostly ones that I can stay on a beer can most of the time out to about 40 yards. Some are .22's, some are small centerfires like .32 ACP or .32 S&W Long, some are moderate power like the .357, the highest power I have right now is a S&W M29 "Dirty Harry special".

I have a High Standard Military Model .22, sort of like a Woodsman with an exposed hammer, which I have not gotten around to firing yet, but I have it on good authority that I will very likely be delighted with how it shoots. I don't much doubt it.

That Beretta Minx .22 Short I mentioned before, hitting a bowling pin on a regulation range, witnessed, with the first round I ever fired from it - I have no actual "mission" where I would pick it from the lineup by choice, unless I was just trying to show off how accurate it is - little practical value, would hesitate to hunt anything bigger than small squirrels - but I do really like it and it's not going anywhere.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:04 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Best? That's too subjective. How about favorite(s)?

Most favored is my dad's old stainless Ruger Mark II Standard. Traded him for my blued Mark II Standard. I just love that thing. Dead accurate, and even though a pain to field strip, once you know the trick, it's pretty easy. My dad's gone now, but his spirit lives on every time I use that Mark II.

An encouraging trend in newer firearms is the availability of upgraded triggers, both aftermarket and as a factory option. When I was a kid most aftermarket triggers were just for bolt action rifles, mostly aimed at replacing the factory triggers on milsurp bolt guns from WWII. I have heard, but can't confirm first hand, that Ruger in particular has upped their game in terms of factory triggers. Certainly they do offer a "drop in" factory replacement "match" trigger for the 10-22, although I have not tried one (yet)

When I was a kid, an MOA rifle was unusual. Now there are plenty of bolt guns that guarantee that right out of the box, and for example the AllTerra, which usually will shoot into the "ones", that is, 0.1 MOA, as in, you have to look hard at the group to tell there is more than one bullet hole there. I mean they start at about $6000 and you are not going to want to put a cheap scope on it, so you will be doing well to get change back from $10K when you are done (you will be wanting some premium dies as well...), but, hey, it will shoot into the "ones" and usually not just with a few favored handloads, most all factory hunting ammo stays well under 0.5 MOA and most of it shoots to more or less the same point of impact. So I think in this case you get your money's worth. If $10K is a little rich for you, you can grab a Savage 110 and screw a good Vortex scope on it and have a good MOA outfit for a lot less money.

While vintage guns are very appealing to me, there is a lot of very good new production out there as well.

My point is: "These are the good old days" certainly in terms of inherent accuracy and shoot-ability!"

Pardon me for wandering off the path a bit to talk about rifles rather than handguns, but I did want to point this out to anyone who has not noticed the striking improvements of the last few years.

Old 09-12-2023, 05:47 PM

23,870 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Don't know about 'best' but these are the ones I like most and why, in no particular order.

Glock 27 - It was my first handgun and I can drive nails with it. I know that subcompacts won't make many top lists but it made mine purely because of familiarity.

Springfield EMP - This is one of the best shooting handguns I own. Smooth and accurate, from the first shot. Tried one at an event held by the LGS and had to get one.

Kimber Ultra II in Blue Sapphire - This was a gift for my wife but she can't work the action so it's a safe queen. That's ok with me because it's too freaking gorgeous to risk marring. On the list for its looks.

Walther PK380 - Another gift for my wife, this gun is a dream to shoot. The recoil is more than manageable with little to no muzzle rise, making follow up shots quick and accurate. If I could only have one pistol, this might be it. Great range gun and suitable for carrying, too.

FN Five-Seven - Capacity, capacity, capacity. Shoots nice and straight, too.

Old 09-12-2023, 06:25 PM

844 posts, read 418,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Walther PK380 - Another gift for my wife, this gun is a dream to shoot. The recoil is more than manageable with little to no muzzle rise, making follow up shots quick and accurate. If I could only have one pistol, this might be it. Great range gun and suitable for carrying, too.
How do you & your wife like the trigger on the PK380?

Old 09-13-2023, 01:22 PM

3,867 posts, read 4,077,907 times
CZ P01 Omega and SIG P229 in both 9mm and .357 SIG.

Old 09-13-2023, 01:36 PM

4,295 posts, read 1,554,301 times
My favorite to shoot is my S&W Hand ejector 2nd edition from 1915. It has British hallmarks on, due to it being used in WWI. It's still in the original Webley .455 caliber which is pretty expensive these days, but the gun is so heavy, and the lead so slow that it's still probably the most naturally accurate gun I've ever shot.

Wouldn't fancy facing German machineguns in no mans land with it, but on the range, it's unsurpassed. Always gets a few admiring looks from the other shooters too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting