Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 06:21 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,018,343 times

Advertisements

I didn’t get into this hobby (for me) until a dozen or so years ago at the tender age of 50; so don’t have the history with firearms many here may have. So faves for me can vary depending on what I take to the range and how sentimental I may feel. My first overall was an old Colt Challenger that was my father in law’s that the family handed down to me, though it came at a time when trying to find 22 ammo was a tad difficult lol but dang that Colt still shoots well. My first that I bought was a Buckmark w/ nice wood grips, 5k rounds thru it since and that still is sweet at the range. My full size SW MP-9 also has thousands of rounds (again this is a hobby and I enjoy target time) and has taught me plenty. And now I include an EZ Shield 9 as with bad arthritis that is the one I usually take out these days.
There’s others but the above stand out. And to be honest, I wont own anything that I don’t like using so if I have something in the safe then it has positive meaning for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2023, 10:56 AM

992 posts, read 515,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
S&W model 10. Smooth, well-made, accurate. I’d rather have a .357, but there’s nothing wrong with a .38, and you won’t go wrong with a Smitty like this.
I worked for Wells Fargo as an armed mobile ATM technician from '82-'85, the S&W Model 10 was the company issue handgun for us at that particular work shop. I agree, it was accurate and smooth, but I "upgraded" to a Ruger GP100 in .357 which I still have. The GP100 would be my vote for best handgun I owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Ruger 22/45 lite. Good lord, this is almost a perfect .22 pistol. Light, utterly reliable, easy takedown for cleaning, “no” recoil, accurate. There’s basically no downsides to this thing but the price.
Those have gotten much better. My first ever handgun was a Mark I in .22, I bought it in 1978 or so. It was reliable and accurate, but a pain to dissemble and clean. Sold it to a friend in the late '80s, he still has it. My wife bought the Mark IV Target last year, we both like it quite a bit, but a 10 round mag in .22LR just doesnt make as much sense to me unless one wants a pocket pistol.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:44 PM

844 posts, read 418,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
I worked for Wells Fargo as an armed mobile ATM technician from '82-'85, the S&W Model 10 was the company issue handgun for us at that particular work shop. I agree, it was accurate and smooth, but I "upgraded" to a Ruger GP100 in .357 which I still have. The GP100 would be my vote for best handgun I owned.
Can you imagine carrying a 6 shooter these days as a armored guard?

Old 09-07-2023, 08:08 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,160,384 times
1) Nighthawk Counselor (fav CCW)
2) the 3 Wilson Combat followed by the
3) entire collection of all sizes made SIG Sauer Legion
4) SW revolvers (couple different ones)
5) others Sigs, SWs, Ruger, etc. mostly 911 type

last, my only Glock G26

Old 09-08-2023, 01:59 PM

992 posts, read 515,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Some still do I think. I saw a Loomis truck in Phoenix last year, one of the guys that got out had a fat, round Pachmayr grip sticking out of his holster, I am sure was a big revolver. Nowadays, I would certainly want a high capacity 9mm at a minimum for doing that type of job. I know we were targets when I had that job, and I kept my eyes open.
My one and only incident, I was working alone and had an encounter with a stupid kid about 10-12 years old at a Kmart ATM I was servicing at about 11 PM. The ATM unit contained about 80K in cash, and I had it open and this dumb ass kid ran from behind me tried to snatch one of the money cassettes I had out, and run off. I was able to grab the kid and get the money cassette secured (it contained about 20K), and I put the fear of God into him. I never drew my Ruger, but I did tell the kid he was about to meet Jesus, and I am sure I left a bruise on his arm. He was keen to run out the front door when I let him go. I hoped that little idiot learned something.

I had to get bonded by the state with Wells Fargo, and we went through some extensive training related to firearms and security before we ever hit the streets. My only issue with that company at the time regarding the issued Model 10 (or a self owned firearm) was we were directed to only use the company issue .38 reloads (not new!) in 170 grain Keith SWC only. We would get a box of 50 every payday (every 2 weeks) for practice and use, and those dirty reloads would have at least one misfire/dud per box of 50 consistently. I did not understand that logic, and I kept my GP100 stoked up with new Winchester Silvertip hollow points in .357 mag at the time for routine carry on the job.

These days, in my 60's, I wouldnt work for anybody else that required carrying a firearm. I do that for myself only now.

Old 09-09-2023, 08:58 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,630,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigfishTim View Post
Or a 7 shooter.

I wouldn't care for a .38spcl for self defense but lightweight .357mag ups the ante a bit. A 3" S&W 686+ in .357mag gives a shooter a very potent round and 7 rounds. Essentially equal to most single stacks. Theoretically if you go thru 7 rds then you're in a pickle anyway.

I carry a 4" 686 no-dash around the farm here with a few of the CCI blue capped shotshells for snakes and such. My speed loaders are loaded with 125gr JHP and I really like 110gr JHP for recoil reasons. Obviously I'm a huge fan of wheelguns.

I only own 2 semi-auto pistols, both 45acp, and I like them both. The HK45 that has a10 round capacity only but is utterly dependable, very accurate, very easy to shoot and very big (not really concealable). But i do love it for the qualities it has except largeness.

I have a much older Canadian manufacture Para Ordinance P-14 kit gun that is big also but shoots well and has some upgrades. Has a Colt upper and a P-14 lower. Bomar sights help. Bought from a neighbor who had used it for IDPA competition so it has had some rounds through it. Don't like it as well as the HK though but is dependable if you don't limp wrist it.

My best, or favorite pistols are the ones that are dependable, accurate, and comfortable.

Old 09-09-2023, 03:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Or a 7 shooter.

I wouldn't care for a .38spcl for self defense but lightweight .357mag ups the ante a bit. A 3" S&W 686+ in .357mag gives a shooter a very potent round and 7 rounds. Essentially equal to most single stacks. Theoretically if you go thru 7 rds then you're in a pickle anyway.
If you want to carry a little larger S&W you can get a .357 with 8rd capacity.

Old 09-09-2023, 04:12 PM

6,357 posts, read 4,175,527 times
My two favorite pistols in 9mm would be a Glock & my HK VP9, they are easy to shoot, clean and both are extremely reliable!

Old 09-09-2023, 07:57 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,911 times
The new Dan Wesson DWX in 9mm (20-round magazine) is the easiest handgun to shoot well (by a large margin) that I have ever owned. For reference, I own or have owned Wilson, Brown, Baer, Nighthawk, Colt, Springfield HRT Professionals, and S&W E-Series. None hold a candle to the DWX.

Old 09-09-2023, 09:00 PM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
The new Dan Wesson DWX in 9mm (20-round magazine) is the easiest handgun to shoot well (by a large margin) that I have ever owned. For reference, I own or have owned Wilson, Brown, Baer, Nighthawk, Colt, Springfield HRT Professionals, and S&W E-Series. None hold a candle to the DWX.
Back in the mid 80’s, several members of the Liñea Del Fuego Section of USPSA (San Diego) and I discussed this very thing - a marrying of the ergonomics of the CZ-75, with the trigger of the 1911. I’m surprised it wasn’t done earlier.

I haven’t shot one, but I bet it’s as you describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Guns and Hunting