Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 01:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragenvol View Post
Neighborhood Market.
Was that the Neighborhood Market rumored for South Willow Avenue at West Jackson Street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 01:56 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,606,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Was that the Neighborhood Market rumored for South Willow Avenue at West Jackson Street?
Yes.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:25 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
I sincerely hope a Kroger Marketplace is not built at Norwalk site nor anywhere on Jackson. Too bad that "Stone Henge" development on Old Kentucky between Spring and Jefferson never materialized.
Oh yeah I almost forgot about that Stonehenge development on Old Kentucky. I heard someone say that it never materialized because that land is littered with sinkholes. That does seem to be a very attractive spot for a shopping center, but I noticed that the "For Sale" sign has either been taken down or has fallen down.

Why don't you like the Norwalk site?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 10-27-2015, 02:37 PM

Purely selfish reasons, as I live diagonally opposite of that side of town. I'd like to see something else at the Norwalk site; plus, it appears to be a troublesome spot in and out of for only getting groceries. I think a Home Depot would sit nicely there.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Neighborhood Market.
A Walmart Neighborhood Market would have provided an option against Food Lion #2149 (Jackson Plaza, 377 West Jackson Street Suite 2, Cookeville, Tennessee 38501-5930).

Old 10-27-2015, 04:02 PM

869 posts, read 1,785,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
A Walmart Neighborhood Market would have provided an option against Food Lion #2149 (Jackson Plaza, 377 West Jackson Street Suite 2, Cookeville, Tennessee 38501-5930).
'
Kroger, Spring St Market, Save a Lot and the Jefferson WalMart are all options that are close to the Jackson St Food Lion. I'm glad the neighborhood market isn't going there. We already have the 2 closest SuperCenters to each other in the US, no need for a 3rd WalMart store of any type here IMO.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
Quote:
A few reasons to shop at Kroger rather than Wal*Mart:

Kroger is easier to get in and out of in Cookeville than either Wal*Mart.

Kroger has more own brands than Wal*Mart, and Kroger's own brands are usually less expensive than Wal*Mart's own brands, e.g. cream cheese. Up until this year, Kroger's own brand cream cheese cost $1 per box. Wal*Mart's own brand cream cheese was as much if not more than national brand cream cheese for sale side by side. Kroger's cream cheese did climb to $1.79 per box at some point during 2015.

Fuel points.
I do shop at Kroger when they have a really good sale that Walmart can't beat or price match but usually it will be a higher cost item that I can purchase in higher quantity. The rib eye roast and chicken was an example where the price was very good so I bought quantity and freeze it for long term storage.

From what I see Walmart has a wide variety of own brand items that usually are just name brand foods with a different label and at a much lower cost than the equivalent name brand. An example is Listerine where the Equate brand is actually Listerine at less than half the price.

The nice thing about Walmart is you can price match so when there us a good sale at Kroger, Food Lyon or any store in town inducing stores like Dollar, Lowes, AutoZone or CVS you can price match and get the same price at Walmart. The nice thing about Walmart is you can get your food, auto supply, garden supply, computer supplies, sporting goods including ammo ... just about anything you can think of ... and if you go to the Algood store that is better imo you can get a subway sandwich on the way out.

Walmart gas is usually one of the lowest priced in town and I always get 5 cents per gallon off the marked price which usually makes it the lowest in town.

I get in and out at most stores most of the time because I will shop when other people don't like early in the weekday mornings. I have been to Kroger a few times when the place was packed and I could not find a parking place but then I have been to the Cookeville Walmart where it's a zoo also. The Algood Walmart is usually not packed no matter when I go.

I'm not a paid advocate for Walmart ... I'm just a person who does not like paying more for an item or service when I know it can be bought for less. There is a time and place to pay more when convenience and/or luxury is wanted but for routine grocery or home supplies that make up a significant portion of your budget I usually look for ways to manage costs.

Last edited by Jumeby; 10-28-2015 at 05:50 AM..

Old 10-28-2015, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumeby View Post
I do shop at Kroger when they have a really good sale that Walmart can't beat or price match but usually it will be a higher cost item that I can purchase in higher quantity. The rib eye roast and chicken was an example where the price was very good so I bought quantity and freeze it for long term storage.

From what I see Walmart has a wide variety of own brand items that usually are just name brand foods with a different label and at a much lower cost than the equivalent name brand. An example is Listerine where the Equate brand is actually Listerine at less than half the price.

The nice thing about Walmart is you can price match so when there us a good sale at Kroger, Food Lyon or any store in town inducing stores like Dollar, Lowes, AutoZone or CVS you can price match and get the same price at Walmart. The nice thing about Walmart is you can get your food, auto supply, garden supply, computer supplies, sporting goods including ammo ... just about anything you can think of ... and if you go to the Algood store that is better imo you can get a subway sandwich on the way out.

Walmart gas is usually one of the lowest priced in town and I always get 5 cents per gallon off the marked price which usually makes it the lowest in town.

I get in and out at most stores most of the time because I will shop when other people don't like early in the weekday mornings. I have been to Kroger a few times when the place was packed and I could not find a parking place but then I have been to the Cookeville Walmart where it's a zoo also. The Algood Walmart is usually not packed no matter when I go.

I'm not a paid advocate for Walmart ... I'm just a person who does not like paying more for an item or service when I know it can be bought for less. There is a time and place to pay more when convenience and/or luxury is wanted but for routine grocery or home supplies that make up a significant portion of your budget I usually look for ways to manage costs.
My MO:

Toiletries: Sam's (but we mostly cave and purchase Kroger brand items)
Laundry agents: Dollar General.
Groceries: Kroger.
Gas: Kroger.
Must dos: Avoid Wal*Mart until it's impossible, then suck it up and go to Algood Wal*Mart and wait in line for ages because there are only two lanes open and the self-checkout lanes aren't powered on.

You are correct about Equate and other health aid items, hard to beat Wal*Mart's prices on these own brand items, but Kroger has more own brand food items, and those Kroger brand items are normally less expensive than Wal*Mart's own brand items, e.g. chips...Kroger tortilla chips, nacho cheese chips...Wal*Mart doesn't have own brand potato chips.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 AM

666 posts, read 761,870 times
Quote:
My MO:

Toiletries: Sam's (but we mostly cave and purchase Kroger brand items)
Laundry agents: Dollar General.
Groceries: Kroger.
Gas: Kroger.
Must dos: Avoid Wal*Mart until it's impossible, then suck it up and go to Algood Wal*Mart and wait in line for ages because there are only two lanes open and the self-checkout lanes aren't powered on.

You are correct about Equate and other health aid items, hard to beat Wal*Mart's prices on these own brand items, but Kroger has more own brand food items, and those Kroger brand items are normally less expensive than Wal*Mart's own brand items, e.g. chips...Kroger tortilla chips, nacho cheese chips...Wal*Mart doesn't have own brand potato chips.
I don't know about the chips ... I'm more an ice cream and mountain trail mix snack person. The Walmart brand is actually pretty good on these items.

One big thing I like about Walmart and Sam's club (same company) is that they hire more of the disadvantaged, elderly and will hire non locals. I have talked to a few elderly (over 65) checkers who tell me the bad economy put a big dent in their retirement income so they had to go back to work. So many companies here are reluctant to hire out-of-towners and the elderly ... even people in their 50's which I don't consider elderly. I applaud Walmart and Sam's club for being so elderly and disabled friendly.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:00 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,651,590 times
This discussion of grocery shopping has been very informative as we are planning on moving to the area next summer. Noticed that there are some nice housing areas being built around Baxter. But no large grocery stores in Baxter. We shopped some at the Spring Street Market, but there doesn't seem to be any chain stores on that side of town.

Any thoughts on maybe a large grocery coming to the Baxter area as it seem to be growing? Does anyone do much shopping at the Spring Street Market?

Thanks. Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville