Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 12:20 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

It's been a long time since I've posted. My wife and I are going to do a weekend visit on the 15th next week. We've been looking around for ideas of things to check out and I thought maybe this would be a good resource.

Any recommendations from you guys? We will finish Sunday in Niagra Falls but starting off in Toronto... so that will be our direction!

We are looking for places to visit and places to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 01:17 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,178 times
Oh man. I wish I could help you, but I’ve really gotten out of touch with what’s happening since COVID.

If you’re looking for fine dining, one of my faves is Grey Gardens in Kensington Market. Make a reservation if possible.

Old 04-06-2022, 07:22 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
There's so much to do in Toronto and so many varieties of things to do, it's like asking someone what to do to have fun in New York City. O.P., you're going to have to tell us more about the things you are interested in before someone can further help you. Are you into nightlife, entertainment, shopping, sightseeing, history, cultural sites, outdoor spaces, or just relaxation? Everyone has something they're interested in and I am sure you will find it in Toronto but what is it that you want for enjoyment?

Old 04-07-2022, 01:18 AM

11 posts, read 15,117 times
Take a look at these attractions while you're in Toronto. Kensington market, Distillery district, Blue Jays game, Tfc game, Queen street West , Toronto islands. Central waterfront Bike from downtown to Sunnyside beaches and High Park along the waterfront. There are numerous breweries. For nightlife, go to Dundas West (west of Ossington). The bluffs of Scarborough. I also recommend Peninsula Lake, which I visited with my family recently after reading a blog about it, and which will provide you with a wonderful experience with your family. Also, every weekend in July and August, there will be a street festival.

Old 04-07-2022, 05:27 AM

Fair enough. Here’s the schedule I put together yesterday lol

We aren’t party goers. We are more sightseeing and couples things. The craziest we get is wine, food, or a chill bar.

Canada

North York - Toronto - Trip is 8.5 hours (4/15)
03:00 - Leave home
10:30 - Marketside Restaurant
12:30 - Arrive in North York
13:00 - CN Tower
14:00 - 3edge Walk + Music Gardens
16:00 - Hotel
19:00 - Pie Bar Pizzeria
20:00 - Distillery District

Toronto + Niagara Falls
Toronto (4/16)
08:00 - Ontario Place
09:00 - St. Lawrence Market
10:30 - Cherry Beach

Niagara Falls, ON
13:00 - Smoke’s Poutinerie
16:00 - Hotel
19:00 - Blind Pig

Options
Toronto
* Graffiti Alley

Ontario
* Frijoles Fresh Mex Burritos
* The Blind Pig
* Chucks Roadhouse Bar & Grill

Links
Toronto
https://www.cntower.ca
https://www.toronto.ca/data/parks/pr...707/index.html (Toronto Music Garden)
https://www.opentable.com/r/pie-bar-pizzeria-toronto
https://www.thedistillerydistrict.com

Ontario
https://www.niagarafallsmenus.com/marketside.html
St. Lawrence Market : Home
https://smokespoutinerie.com
https://www.chucksroadhouse.com/menu/

Old 04-07-2022, 05:31 PM

2,396 posts, read 1,067,965 times
Casa Loma

Ripley's Aquarium

Yonge-Dundas Square/Eaton Centre

Hockey Hall of Fame

ROM (Royal Ontario Museum)

AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario)

Ontario Science Center

Toronto Islands (April probably too cold)

The Beaches Boardwalk (April probably too cold)

Niagara on the Lake and then south on the Niagara Parkway to Niagara Falls ...a very nice drive

Old 04-07-2022, 07:20 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,033,106 times
Good Friday is a stat holiday so some places may not be open or have shortened hours.

IMO you have an awful lot planned in two short days leaving at 3am from Connecticut.

Old 04-07-2022, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Good Friday is a stat holiday so some places may not be open or have shortened hours.

IMO you have an awful lot planned in two short days leaving at 3am from Connecticut.
It’s a draft and I too think it’s too much. I was looking for more information so I can tweak it :-)

Old 04-08-2022, 01:12 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
First of all, I have to ask: why North York? It's a suburb of Toronto (though now a part of the city), that doesn't contain much of interest. Oh, there are some great pubs and clubs, and a fine performing-arts centre, but nothing in my memory that would make North York attractive to a foreigner. Unless there's a must-see show at the performing arts centre, of course. I lived in North York for some years, and most everything I really, really, really wanted to see and do was in Toronto proper.

Next, you've scheduled everything too tightly. You're in North York, and a half-hour later, you're at the CN Tower? Depending on traffic, and finding reasonably-priced parking at the Tower, you're looking at 45 to 60 minutes. If you take the subway from Finch to Union, it might be doable in 35, but be warned--it's a ten minute walk from Union subway station to the Tower, making it 45 minutes regardless, and then there are the lineups at the Tower itself, which mean more time spent.

I'd also suggest that you avoid these very-specific restaurants, unless they happen to be near where you find yourself. You'll find many options in Toronto, for whatever you might like. Unless one of your selections particularly strikes your fancy, you'll find another one, in the cuisine you like, not far from where you are. I recall being in New York, back in the 1970s, when it boasted that it was the city of 10,000 restaurants. Well, today, Toronto can boast the same. You'll find one that suits you nearby.

Lastly, I'd scrap Ontario Place, the St. Lawrence Market, and Cherry Beach. The first is an amusement park that's past its prime (and if you must, it will take more than an hour to walk around), the second is just a farmer's market, and the last is just a beach (y'know, like Kew, Woodbine, and Balmy beaches, just east of there). Instead, spend the whole day in Niagara Falls and area. It's a two-hour drive one-way, and you will want to see the Falls, ride the Maid of the Mist, and perhaps walk across the Rainbow Bridge to see the Falls from the American side. The Table Rock House, at the lip of Horseshoe Falls on the Canadian side, offers casual dining and great views, and having eaten there a few times, I can recommend it. Spend part of your day north of Niagara Falls--take the riverside road--in one of Ontario's wine countries, sampling local product, and explore the historic town of Niagara-on-the-Lake.

I'm a native Torontonian. I know the city very well, having lived in it for over 40 years, and though I may have moved away, I'm back every year or two. I hope my message helps, and if you have any more questions, just ask.

Old 04-08-2022, 05:43 AM

North York is where our hotel is booked, it is merely where we will be sleeping lol
I know the times are wrong, it’s a draft. I’m working on it

My wife loves farmers markets so I’m sure we’ll stick to that but we can consider more stuff in Niagara Falls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto