Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2022, 01:53 AM

35,075 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Hey guys!

It's been a long time since I've posted. My wife and I are going to do a weekend visit on the 15th next week. We've been looking around for ideas of things to check out and I thought maybe this would be a good resource.

Any recommendations from you guys? We will finish Sunday in Niagra Falls but starting off in Toronto... so that will be our direction!

We are looking for places to visit and places to eat.
Royal Ontario Museum. I went in 1973 and meant to revisit in 1997 but I mixed it up with the Science Museum. Our trip was cut short by a heat wave and we moved trip three hours north to Algonquin Park, which I highly recommend. Take to 400 to 11 to 60.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 09:40 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Royal Ontario Museum. I went in 1973 and meant to revisit in 1997 but I mixed it up with the Science Museum. Our trip was cut short by a heat wave and we moved trip three hours north to Algonquin Park, which I highly recommend. Take to 400 to 11 to 60.
Just a minor correction in that I think you meant the Ontario Science Centre. If one searches Science Museum they may not find what you meant. Unless of course you meant the Science Museum but i'm not familiar with that in T.O.

https://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/

Old 05-30-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Just a minor correction in that I think you meant the Ontario Science Centre. If one searches Science Museum they may not find what you meant. Unless of course you meant the Science Museum but i'm not familiar with that in T.O.

https://www.ontariosciencecentre.ca/
I actually think you are right. After going there, we had a great Greek dinner on Danforth Street. The next morning we decamped for Algonquin Park.

Old 05-30-2022, 06:37 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
The ROM has been much revamped and expanded. I first went in 2005 and then again in 2016 and it felt much livelier with more to see during my second visit. It definitely ranks up there with the great New York Museums like the Met and the Museum of Natural History.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
The ROM has been much revamped and expanded. I first went in 2005 and then again in 2016 and it felt much livelier with more to see during my second visit. It definitely ranks up there with the great New York Museums like the Met and the Museum of Natural History.
I even felt that way in 1973, compared with the then-existing NYC museums. Of course, I am a visitor from the NYC area.

Old 06-05-2022, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I actually think you are right. After going there, we had a great Greek dinner on Danforth Street. The next morning we decamped for Algonquin Park.
Most likely I think so - most people who think of anything Science in Toronto in terms of a cultural centre will think of Ontario Science Centre. Hope it was a good dinner! I love the Danforth..

Last edited by fusion2; 06-05-2022 at 04:09 PM..

Old 06-05-2022, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I do miss the Planetarium that was there. I love astronomy.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:59 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
I do miss the Planetarium that was there. I love astronomy.
I tend to think that it was a mistake getting rid of the Planetarium.

As a child, I was there shortly after it opened, and thrilled to how it could "broadcast" the night sky onto the dome. There were the stars I saw in the night sky, only without clouds obscuring some! And the narrator told us what we were looking at, with the aid of a laser pointer. I learned more about astronomy in the Planetarium than I ever did in science class.

Later, I'd attend "Laser Floyd" and "Laser Beatles," both shows put on by lasers in time to the music that blasted from the speakers. Great fun!

The Planetarium taught my classmates and I a lot about the night sky we saw every night, and it provided a lot of entertainment otherwise. Sad to see that it is gone.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I tend to think that it was a mistake getting rid of the Planetarium.

As a child, I was there shortly after it opened, and thrilled to how it could "broadcast" the night sky onto the dome. There were the stars I saw in the night sky, only without clouds obscuring some! And the narrator told us what we were looking at, with the aid of a laser pointer. I learned more about astronomy in the Planetarium than I ever did in science class.

Later, I'd attend "Laser Floyd" and "Laser Beatles," both shows put on by lasers in time to the music that blasted from the speakers. Great fun!

The Planetarium taught my classmates and I a lot about the night sky we saw every night, and it provided a lot of entertainment otherwise. Sad to see that it is gone.
Yeah it was a lot more fun than listening to a Science Teacher for sure! A combination of Provincial budget cuts at the time (the Slasher Mike Harris), and declining attendance were cited (although when the decision was made attendance was rebounding). In any event it was a cool facility. The site is now owned by the U of T who are going to be using it to develop 'new facilities'. Hopefully those facilities will be related to Science and Astronomy. Apparently the Science Centre has a Digital Planetarium though I haven't checked it out.

Old 06-12-2022, 10:13 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,412,654 times
Quote:
Yeah it was a lot more fun than listening to a Science Teacher for sure! A combination of Provincial budget cuts at the time (the Slasher Mike Harris), and declining attendance were cited (although when the decision was made attendance was rebounding). In any event it was a cool facility. The site is now owned by the U of T who are going to be using it to develop 'new facilities'. Hopefully those facilities will be related to Science and Astronomy. Apparently the Science Centre has a Digital Planetarium though I haven't checked it out.
Well, as an alumnus of the U of T, I hope that they put the site to good use. Something related to astronomy would be perfect. There is a (now, non-functioning) telescope dome on the U of T's campus--note the SAC building in Hart House Circle.

I was at the Science Centre a few years ago, when I was in Toronto for a short visit, and had a few hours to kill. I was surprised--rather pleasantly, I might add--to find that its Space section now dealt with "space," rather than just "space exploration."

You see, when I was younger, and we went to the Science Centre on school field trips, the Space section was all about astronauts and space exploration. You could land a lunar lander simulator on the Moon, dock a spacecraft, and find out what you would weigh on the Moon.

But now, while there is a bit on space exploration (e.g. one of Chris Hadfield's spacesuits), the emphasis seems to be on space itself--for example, the physics involved in gravity and orbital mechanics, and black holes, and what happens when a star reaches the end of its life. Really interesting stuff, and though I was never good at science, the Science Centre's plain and clear explanations made things more-or-less understandable to me.

I enjoyed my visit, and it was interesting to see what had changed from those long-ago school field trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto