Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 01:14 PM

178 posts, read 115,971 times

Advertisements

Read all recommendations, thank you. Going to Toronto in August.

Is City Pass Toronto a good value to buy? It bundles 5 places: CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Casa Loma, Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Center. I think it's enough for 3-4 days, with teenagers? (1.5 days will be spent at Niagara Falls). 2 nights in TO, 1 night in Niagara Falls, 2 nights in TO.

https://www.citypass.com/toronto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2022, 03:20 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
But now, while there is a bit on space exploration (e.g. one of Chris Hadfield's spacesuits), the emphasis seems to be on space itself--for example, the physics involved in gravity and orbital mechanics, and black holes, and what happens when a star reaches the end of its life. Really interesting stuff, and though I was never good at science, the Science Centre's plain and clear explanations made things more-or-less understandable to me.

I enjoyed my visit, and it was interesting to see what had changed from those long-ago school field trips.
Yeah and it didn't seem to matter where you went, it was almost always mostly focused on exploration so actual space stuff is welcome. Not that space exploration isn't a part but you know what I mean

Old 06-19-2022, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruegel View Post
Read all recommendations, thank you. Going to Toronto in August.

Is City Pass Toronto a good value to buy? It bundles 5 places: CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Casa Loma, Royal Ontario Museum, Ontario Science Center. I think it's enough for 3-4 days, with teenagers? (1.5 days will be spent at Niagara Falls). 2 nights in TO, 1 night in Niagara Falls, 2 nights in TO.

https://www.citypass.com/toronto

Definitely a good value. It basically pays for itself after you go to just 2 of the 5 so if you intend to visit more than 2 go for it. The CN Tower and Ripley are directly beside one another, so those are no brainers and who doesn't like looking at Sharks - separated by thick glass of course lol. The ROM is on the subway line so definitely easily accessible in the DT Core and def recommended (Check out the Annex style architecture in the area). Science Centre is a bit out of the way and not easily accessible by Subway unless you do the bus thing, so you'd likely need to drive to it. Casa Loma is close to Dupont subway station but not in the DT core though fairly close. Since you have limited time in T.O I'd definately do the CN Tower, Ripleys and ROM and time permitting Science Centre and Casa though to be honest, given that they are not as central though as the other three - might be a bit much to cram into 2 days only. Take into account you'll probably just want to walk around the city as well. August is full of festivals too..

Last edited by fusion2; 06-19-2022 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-28-2022, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
might be a bit much to cram into 2 days only. Take into account you'll probably just want to walk around the city as well. August is full of festivals too..
Thank you. It's not 2 days though. Arriving at ~5pm to Toronto, night, full day #1, night, day #2, train "GO" to Niagara Falls, night there, 1/2 or 3/4 day there, train "GO" back to Toronto, whatever is left of day #3, night, day #4 in Toronto, night, departure.

I'm unclear about how much time we should plan for Niagara Falls. Some hotels in Toronto offer trips to Niagara Falls inside a day, go and return the same day. Sounds like it is considered a short digression, in general? We could play with time then, decreasing our time in Niagara Falls and increasing time in Toronto.

Figuring out the train system is driving me crazy, though. Metro and train "GO" and Presto cards with variable fares. I don't know what that means and where to get the cards. I hope to figure it out on the spot. Trying to drive less, but taking your advice on driving to the Ontario Science Museum.

Old 06-28-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Thank you. It's not 2 days though. Arriving at ~5pm to Toronto, night, full day #1, night, day #2, train "GO" to Niagara Falls, night there, 1/2 or 3/4 day there, train "GO" back to Toronto, whatever is left of day #3, night, day #4 in Toronto, night, departure.

I'm unclear about how much time we should plan for Niagara Falls. Some hotels in Toronto offer trips to Niagara Falls inside a day, go and return the same day. Sounds like it is considered a short digression, in general? We could play with time then, decreasing our time in Niagara Falls and increasing time in Toronto.

Figuring out the train system is driving me crazy, though. Metro and train "GO" and Presto cards with variable fares. I don't know what that means and where to get the cards. I hope to figure it out on the spot. Trying to drive less, but taking your advice on driving to the Ontario Science Museum.
It sounds like you've already booked your stay in N.F. I personally see it more as a day trip. You only need an hour maybe two at the actual Falls. The city itself is not chalk full of things to do. There is Clifton Hill but its largely tourist traps - silly haunted houses, wax museums etc. Expensive small traps. You could do the Maid of the Mist boat ride but overall i'd say N.F is not more than a day trip or as you say short digression. I'd say seeing the Falls is worth it, but yeah, no more than 1 day including travel time.

If you are staying DT it should be relatively easy going to Union Station. It is well served on the subway line and that is the Station you'd be using to get to N.F on the GO train. If you haven't booked your N.F hotel or train tickets - i'd look at the day trip option from the Hotel in Toronto. This way you are based in one hotel the entire trip and you don't have to worry about the leg work. I'm assuming its a bus tour. I'd really go with that if you can. Or even just driving to the Falls yourself from T.O. Its only a 90 min drive each way and this way you don't have to worry so much about Presto..Yeah, you have to pay for gas but for more than 1 person it may be more economical.

I think you said you had teens so they'd probably dig the Science Centre. Casa Loma is cool and is a nice part of town, but they'd probably find that the least interesting attraction on your list. That said, if you do do the Science Centre just drive there.

As I said, usually a lot going on festival wise in the summer (August you're here) and really, Toronto (Old Toronto I should say not the suburbs), is a nice city just to walk and explore, so i'd leave some time just for miscellaneous urban exploration ie. Distillery District, Chinatown, Kensington Market. A lot of people are going to cringe and say why - its just a Times Sq ripoff but the truth is Dundas Sq is a hopping place and worth the look - might as well pop in the Eaton Centre while you're there (biggest mall in the DT Core).

Last edited by fusion2; 06-28-2022 at 04:23 PM..

Old 06-28-2022, 05:24 PM

Yes I booked one night in NF. Well that's great then, we'll go to NF as late as possible, hit the sack, and do the NF stuff in the morning. This will give us more of day #2 and more of day #3 in Toronto.

We are staying not in a fancy hotel (no bus tours), but still within 2kms of Union Station, maybe it is still considered DT? "Residence and Conference Center" on 80 Cooperage St. Well, a dormitory of a uni basically, but it would be nice for my "just-about-to-go-to-college" kids to see what a "dorm" is. It looks decent, with two rooms and a kitchen: https://www.booking.com/hotel/ca/res...own.en-gb.html , but who knows how it's going to be in real life. Both times, before and after NF, staying there.

Definitely, I'd like to wander around Toronto in general (writing down your suggestions of neighbourhoods). Also, would like to do this suggestion from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
My favorite recommendation will cost $3.75/person. Take the subway to Broadview Station. It’s a very quick ride from downtown. Head up to the street-level platform and take the Dundas 505 Streetcar to Dundas West Station. It’s a great ride that will take you from beautiful views through some of the city’s coolest attractions. Make sure you get a transfer so you can get out when something looks interesting and then get back on if it’s less than two hours.

The streetcar will take you through so many neighborhoods, including Riverdale and its beautiful view of the skyline over the Don Valley, Chinatown East, the revitalized Regent Park, Moss Park, downtown, Old Chinatown, City Hall (the back side of it,) Chinatown, Kensington Market, the AGO, Little Portugal, and more. You can take the King car back and see a different slice of Toronto for an extra $3.75. There’s construction at Dundas West Station, where the streetcar normally turns around, so it’s turning around at the High Park Loop. You could take a stroll around High Park, check out the Roncesvalles neighborhood, then wait for the King car to take you back downtown, with a ride through a different set of west end neighborhoods.
I will figure out on the spot if it would be better to drive or to take the "GO" train to NF. Union Station -> NF train cost is $18 for me and $13 for each teenager (PRESTO fare). A car may or may not beat that. Yes it's a longer trip, 2hours and 30 min by train vs. 90 min by car, but we are not in a hurry. I did so much driving in winter (to skiing places), I've reached the state of " anything but driving" (temporarily).

Regarding festivals... not sure. On one hand, my teens seem, to me, not interested, but who knows what would happen if they see one in front of them. Yes we'd love to see the "knock-off" of Times Square and all the other places that make Toronto Toronto.

Last edited by Bruegel; 06-28-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-29-2022, 12:12 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
Quote:
I will figure out on the spot if it would be better to drive or to take the "GO" train to NF. Union Station -> NF train cost is $18 for me and $13 for each teenager (PRESTO fare). A car may or may not beat that. Yes it's a longer trip, 2hours and 30 min by train vs. 90 min by car, but we are not in a hurry. I did so much driving in winter (to skiing places), I've reached the state of " anything but driving" (temporarily).
Remember that you may need to pay to park at the Falls, and the lot may be a distance away. That's okay, as there are shuttles running from remote lots--as I recall, your parking fee covers the shuttle fare. But you may want to factor in the cost of parking there.

In addition, given the location of your hotel, it may take you an hour just to get out of Toronto. You've got to go crosstown in downtown, which can test anyone's patience. Yes, there is an expressway, but it can back up and come to a full stop any day of the week. I'd bank on at least two hours to Niagara Falls by road, and the same coming back.

However, driving to Niagara Falls does have its advantages. You can return by the River Road, north to the charming little town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is historic. You'll also find a lot of farm stands (it's in Ontario's fruit belt), and and a number of wineries selling fine wines from grapes grown there. You can't do that if you ride the train.

Whatever you choose, have a great trip!

Old 06-29-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Whatever you choose, have a great trip!
Thank you! Well, this driving tidbit just reassures me to take the train, as I always intended. Driving by fruit-farms sounds enchanting, but we barely have enough days to cover Toronto

Old 06-29-2022, 07:33 PM

Quote:

Definitely, I'd like to wander around Toronto in general (writing down your suggestions of neighbourhoods). Also, would like to do this suggestion from another thread:

Yeah definitely check out Distillery, Kensington, Chinatown, Cabbage Town (awesome Bay and Gable architecture), the Danforth and the Annex (Very close to the ROM and Annex is a style of architecture). I also suggest going to St Lawrence Market and walking in and around there. Actually that area and the Annex are my favourite in Toronto for Pre WW2 architecture. When at St Lawrence you have to get the Peameal Bacon Sandwich at Carousel Bakery- its T.O's official/unnofficial sandwich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_An...ronto%20campus.

http://cabbagetownhcd.ca/traditional...bay-and-gable/

If you have time another two museums you may want to check out - close to the ROM both of them!

https://batashoemuseum.ca/
https://www.gardinermuseum.on.ca/

As for Festivals - T.O is chalk and block full of them in the summer and definitely in August so even if you don't want to go to one, chances are you'll engage in one simply walking a around the city. Heads up! This wasn't the case the last few summers with Covid but this summer they are back fast and furious.

Last edited by fusion2; 06-29-2022 at 08:38 PM..

Old 06-30-2022, 10:55 AM

fusion2, thank you for all the suggestions, and for taking the time to write them! Will come back with a report of what we will have managed to visit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto