Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:51 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,522 times

Advertisements

I thought it was great to have a highway that loops around Charlotte, so your not always driving right through the city, but, I quickly saw its one of the most confusing highways. So hopefully, someone can answer my questions:

1) What is the difference between the Inner Loop and Outter Loop?

2) Why do they have a "North" and "South" direction, when, your never really going one direction?

Also when im on I-85 going towards Charlotte, theres a 485 exit for "Rock Hill" when, it doesnt even take you to Rock Hill, it goes to Mathews, Pineville and loops back to I-77 N or S. If you stay in I-85 and then take I-77 south, you can get to Rock Hill MUCH faster.

I also noticed some signage say "North" or "South" but some just say "Inner" and Outer" or just put a destination on there. Coming from RT 74, it has "Columbia" in the direction towards Pineville and back to Charlotte and "Greensboro" in the other direction, when 485 leads you to neither of those places.

If I get on I-485 south coming from the airport, ultimately, ill end up going north, so how can the highway have a North or South directions when you are never going into one direction or another?

I saw a truck with a "I-485 sucks" sticker on his truck so, apparently, im not the only one who finds its a bit confusing. Ive already gotten messed up a few times on it due to the signage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:19 PM

704 posts, read 2,068,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
I thought it was great to have a highway that loops around Charlotte, so your not always driving right through the city, but, I quickly saw its one of the most confusing highways. So hopefully, someone can answer my questions:

1) What is the difference between the Inner Loop and Outter Loop?

2) Why do they have a "North" and "South" direction, when, your never really going one direction?

Also when im on I-85 going towards Charlotte, theres a 485 exit for "Rock Hill" when, it doesnt even take you to Rock Hill, it goes to Mathews, Pineville and loops back to I-77 N or S. If you stay in I-85 and then take I-77 south, you can get to Rock Hill MUCH faster.

I also noticed some signage say "North" or "South" but some just say "Inner" and Outer" or just put a destination on there. Coming from RT 74, it has "Columbia" in the direction towards Pineville and back to Charlotte and "Greensboro" in the other direction, when 485 leads you to neither of those places.

If I get on I-485 south coming from the airport, ultimately, ill end up going north, so how can the highway have a North or South directions when you are never going into one direction or another?

I saw a truck with a "I-485 sucks" sticker on his truck so, apparently, im not the only one who finds its a bit confusing. Ive already gotten messed up a few times on it due to the signage.

Have they completed the portion that connects I-85 exit 30 to exit 49 or 50 on I-85 North?

485 is a loop around Charlotte. The last time I used in on the west side the "loop" was not complete. It runs from exit 30 on I-85 toward Pineville, then around to Matthews and around and connects with I-85 at around exit 49 or 50. The part that would be the "northwest" slice of the loop is not finished or was not, the last time I was up that way.

Coming south on I-85 toward Charlotte, yes you see Rock Hill and it takes you around Charlotte to the east, around the NE part of Charlotte, past Matthews then Pineville and connects with I-77 to get you to Rock Hill. The best and real way to get to Rock Hill would be to take the part of the loop that is not complete. You'd go around the NW part of Charlotte, cross I-85 around exit 30 and down past 49 and 160 and connect to I-77 south to Rock Hill.

I hate loops, because they are many miles out of the way.

If you are at Concord and come down I-85 toward Charlotte, once they complete the loop, the sign to Rock Hill should lead you around the west side of Charlotte, not the east side the way it is now.

The loop around Washington D.C. is the same way and other major cities are all the same. It starts on I-95 on the south and splits into two directions, east and west, and then circles around D.C. and connects again on I-95 North.

Once the 485 loop is completed, if you are travelling north on I-77 from Rock Hill and want to bypass Charlotte, you have two choices, go west and cross I-85 on the Gastonia side and continue around the NW part of Charlotte until you connect with I-77 (if you are wanting to keep going up I-77 toward Statesville) or keep going and eventually connect with I-85 north.
Your other choice would be to go east and around the loop past Pineville, Matthews, and connect with I-85 north that way.

I only use I-485 if I want to go to Matthews or Pineville at S. Blvd.
I only use it the other way if I am trying to get from Rock Hill to the Belmont area. I go straight up I-77 if I am headed up I-85 North.

With normal traffic, I go straight up I-77 and keep going or get onto I-85 north. Same thing when coming down I-85 to Rock Hill, just get on I-77 there at exit 38 I think it is and get on I-77 south.

>>>>>>>>>>> Coming from RT 74, it has "Columbia" in the direction towards Pineville and back to Charlotte and "Greensboro" in the other direction, when 485 leads you to neither of those places. <<<<<<<<<<<
I think it does, if you exit and go south you'll run into I-77 south and that takes you to Columbia. If you exit from 74 and go north and around the NE part of Charlotte you run into I-85 north which takes you to Greensboro. The loop is designed to get you to certain other highways going where you are going without you having to drive straight thru Charlotte in heavy traffic.

If you are in Matthews and want to go to Columbia you get on I-485 headed south and get onto I-77 south. If you are in Matthews and want to go to Greensboro, you get onto 485 in the north direction and connect to I-85 which takes you to Greensboro.
If you are in Matthews and want to take I-85 to Spartanburg, the best way is head south, pass I-77 and connect with I-85 south at exit 30 on the Gastonia side of I-485. If you are in Matthews and want to go to Statesville, you are screwed. Either way you go on 485 is long. The most direct route would be to get on 74, head toward town, then onto Brookshire to I-77 north and on to Statesville.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,522 times
I guess I just dislike how it gives you a town/city that isnt on the highway your about to go on. When I see a sign that says "485 Rock Hill" i expect to go to Rock Hill via 485, but, as you explained, thats not the case.

The loop isnt complete. The Charlotte Observer notes the money to build it actually less then expected and are expected to award a construction company the big soon, to be finished by 2014. Im excited for that, because I can get to Concord (Charlotte Motor Speedway) without taking Burton Smith Blvd.

I hate 485 from I-77 (NC/SC border) to Pineville.... the traffic is AWFUL! Once your past the mall (or sometimes RT521) its usually a breeze. Same with going to/from the airport, 3 lanes and wide open.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:57 PM

704 posts, read 2,068,652 times
Quote:
I hate 485 from I-77 (NC/SC border) to Pineville.... the traffic is AWFUL! Once your past the mall (or sometimes RT521) its usually a breeze. Same with going to/from the airport, 3 lanes and wide open.
Awful?
Always.................
It seems there are 3 lanes but when you get near S. Blvd. and 51 it changes to 2 lanes. People have to slow down and merge right and some just don't know how and that area from I-77 to 51 is bogged down alot of the time. After 51, the traffic starts to spread out.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM

285 posts, read 1,019,958 times
I learned this after years in DC. If you are traveling counter-clockwise that is the "inner loop". If you are travelling clockwise, that is the outer loop!

Drove me crazy for years. I can't help with the directional part though.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,870,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMillBound View Post
I learned this after years in DC. If you are traveling counter-clockwise that is the "inner loop". If you are travelling clockwise, that is the outer loop!

Drove me crazy for years. I can't help with the directional part though.
Actually, it's the opposite.

Someone on this board explained it by thinking of I-485 as a doughnut with Charlotte being the "hole". Think of where you want to drive on the "doughnut" and knowing we drive on the right hand side of the road figure out where on the doughnut you need to go. If where you want to go puts you on the inside of the doughnut, then you need the inner loop. If where you want to drive puts you on the outside of the doughnut, then you need the outer loop. May not be a help to everybody, but it finally made sense to me.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:21 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,964,222 times
Quote:
That portion of 485 is terrible. During the holidays the traffic is backed up going to the mall and departing the mall. Then throw in the regular working commuters and you have a traffic nightmare and usually accidents.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:44 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,796 times
It's not a full loop yet because there's a 5-mile stretch in northeast Charlotte near UNCC that's not been constructed on yet I hate the destination points on 485 because, as you said, they can be very confusing. Not to mention, I don't find them local friendly...some people may need to take 485 to get to Huntersville or Gastonia and don't realize that Huntersville is the same direction as Statesville or Gastonia's the same way as Spartanburg. If you travel on 485 long enough, though, it really starts to make more sense after a while. Or you could be a nerd like me and just memorize the area on a map or an atlas

Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 AM

218 posts, read 523,020 times
I think it really depends on how often you take it and at what time of day. My hours keep put on their at about 3am and then back home around 1:30-2pm, so I have no trouble. I realize that I am a rare exception though.

In regard to how to navigate the loop, it really makes sense the more you travel it. The "to Rock Hill" is because you take 485 to I-77 to get there. They have had several debates about how to label things on the highway. They use the inner and outer, compass directions and city destinations. All of which can be very confusing to those who are not familier.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:28 PM

285 posts, read 1,019,958 times
You're right! It occurred to me today while driving on the inner loop that I explained it backward! Been outta DC too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Actually, it's the opposite.

Someone on this board explained it by thinking of I-485 as a doughnut with Charlotte being the "hole". Think of where you want to drive on the "doughnut" and knowing we drive on the right hand side of the road figure out where on the doughnut you need to go. If where you want to go puts you on the inside of the doughnut, then you need the inner loop. If where you want to drive puts you on the outside of the doughnut, then you need the outer loop. May not be a help to everybody, but it finally made sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties