Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:48 AM

103 posts, read 241,676 times

Advertisements

"Inner" means you are traveling on the inner lane--basically, the center of the city would always be on your right.

"Outer" means you are traveling in the outer lane--the city will be on your left.

Once someone explained that to me, never again was I confusedas to whether I was getting on the correct ramp or not.

Actually, if you're trying to get to Rock Hill from the northside of Charlotte, depending on the time of day, 485 to 77 can be a good way to get there, given how bad 77 traffic can be. My husband works in Davidson, and we're in Fort Mill, and he takes 485 to avoid the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 PM

595 posts, read 1,622,579 times
Inner goes Clockwise
Outer goes Counterclockwise

Old 06-02-2010, 07:02 PM

19 posts, read 46,975 times
I have traveled with another vehicle from Concord to Rock Hill. I took 85N to 485 and the other driver 85N to 77S. We arrived at the destination in Rock Hill within minutes of each other, with no delays during our travels. The Inner/Outer rule only works if you know which direction the city is from where you happen to be getting on.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:17 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,990,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYankee View Post
"Inner" means you are traveling on the inner lane--basically, the center of the city would always be on your right.

"Outer" means you are traveling in the outer lane--the city will be on your left.

Once someone explained that to me, never again was I confusedas to whether I was getting on the correct ramp or not.

Actually, if you're trying to get to Rock Hill from the northside of Charlotte, depending on the time of day, 485 to 77 can be a good way to get there, given how bad 77 traffic can be. My husband works in Davidson, and we're in Fort Mill, and he takes 485 to avoid the traffic.
Bingo. I thought about how when im on the "outer" im always on the outside of the city, inner means on always closer to the city. I really think they should get rid of the directional signage... how can you have ONE interstate go North South East and West?

Old 06-04-2010, 01:30 PM

704 posts, read 2,069,001 times
well, when 485 is complete, you'll have what is theoretically a circle around Charlotte. When you get on 485 near Westinghouse and headed toward Pineville, you "are" headed "east", and when you make the turn toward Matthews you are heading "north". Look at is as square and you'll see all 4 directions.

The people who are on, say, on Providence Rd. east of 485, and they are headed toward Charlotte on Providence Rd, as they get near I-485, they should see two signs, one should say "south 485 Pineville, Rock Hill, maybe even Columbia, because taking 485 in that direction leads you to I-77 south to Rock Hill and Columbia.
The other sign would be I-485 North and have Matthews, Concord, maybe even Greensboro. Because taking 485 in that direction (north) takes you past Matthews and connects with I-85 which heads north to Concord and Greensboro.

No matter which direction you are headed on the "inner" what are you going around? You are going around what is inside the circle, or donut. The same can be said for the outer loop but that loop is outside the inner loop.

A good example of a loop that really has a north-south-east-west if I remember correctly from 1980, is around Columbus Ohio. It's not shaped like a circle more like a rectangle with round corners.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM

30 posts, read 177,978 times
Quote:
I hate 485 from I-77 (NC/SC border) to Pineville.... the traffic is AWFUL! Once your past the mall (or sometimes RT521) its usually a breeze. Same with going to/from the airport, 3 lanes and wide open.
I drive 485 to south charlotte every evening and have 'studied' the congestion for several years (nothing else to d0). While the change from 3 lanes to 2 lanes contributes the congestion, the majority of backup is from 1) traffic entering 485 from S. Blvd just before the Hwy51 exit. Its a steady stream from d/t Charlotte and they are trying to merge LEFT (while cars are bumper to bumper) WHILE others try to merge RIGHT to exit at Hwy 51. Close the onramp - no more backup (Hey, Charlotte could easily test it! Block it off one evening from 4-7p).

Weird thing - There is rarely a backup on Mondays. Haven't figured that one out.....

Old 06-15-2010, 08:58 PM
CVP

581 posts, read 1,905,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMYankee View Post

Yes! Since I realized this, I haven't had trouble, but that's also because 485 is familiar to me now. Loops make no sense to out-of-towners. If you're not from the area, you have no clue if the city is to your right or left or whatever. You don't have the advantage of having that "visual" in your mind. All you know is you want to go east, west, south or north. That's your visual. Even if you have a good sense of direction, it goes out the window when a loop is involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties