Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 AM
jon jon started this thread

49 posts, read 269,383 times

Advertisements

We currently reside in Tampa Florida. We were considering moving to Greenville, now we are looking more at Fort Mill area. We have two school aged children (we homeschool), are very involved in rec. programs (soccer, football,and cheerleading). How is the job market versus Greenville? and the atmosphere. My wife is a pharmacist and is licensed in South Carolina, so she would have to work in S.C. Has anyone made this transition from central Florida and if so how does it compare? Thank you in advance, Jon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 08:10 PM

201 posts, read 599,367 times
Hi Jon,
Well, as you can see by my screen name, I moved to Charlotte after 35 years in Greenville, SC. My husband was born in Greenville. Both cities have a lot to offer. We loved downtown Greenville, and the Eastside neighborhoods (Greer area) are very nice. Silverleaf neighborhood is mid $200, Sugar Mill and Brushy Meadows $300, Thornblade Country Club $400...more nice neighborhoods$400 and up out Batesville Road area. If you want nice neighborhoods with lots of sports involvement, look at the Riverside Middle and Riverside High School attendance areas - the highest achievement in Greenville County with lots of county, neighborhood, and school sports in that area. Very involved parents and friendly students. If you're looking for the best in private schools, Christ Episcopal is wonderful, (but at college tuition rates).
We moved to Charlotte because of the job market. Personally, my husband found that Charlotte had more employment opportunities and the salaries are higher. Fort Mill is very nice and the schools are very comparable to the Riverside district in Greenville, but we got more house for our money in Greenville. However, we really like the way the shopping is set up here: Ballantyne, Stonecrest, Blakeney, etc...lots of upscale dining, too. Many wonderful activities always taking place in Charlotte, which is just a short drive. We also like the "village" concept of places like Baxter in Fort Mill. There are very few neighborhoods like that in Greenville.
Hope you find a place that you and your family like. We miss Greenville a lot, but are very happy here and think Fort Mill is great.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:15 PM

201 posts, read 599,367 times
Jon - one more thing. I re-read your post and realize that your wife homeschools. There are some homeschool "support" groups in the Greenville area. Many homeschoolers in the area are conservative Christians.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:45 AM

25 posts, read 65,213 times
we moved from valrico to lake wylie last summer. how does it compare? more rural community (think plant city), WAY less taxes, excellent schools, lots of family-oriented leagues/dance schools, beautiful fall weather (leave that yucky humidity behind in FL) etc. Do not have info on homeschooling or job market, sorry. Good luck to you!

Old 09-05-2008, 03:55 PM

10 posts, read 31,979 times
well, we just located here this week from mandeville, la..

i don't know how large tampa is, but this area is rather large than what i thought it was..looking for a home to rent seems to be a chore..

be prepared to spend some $$$$ on a home if you want 1 with a garage..

my advice is to have some money too spend on hotels...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties