Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:48 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,970,291 times

Advertisements

Walmart will be building a new Super Wally World on Flint Hill Road in Fort Mill. The store will be built facing Flint Hill Rd rather then Hwy 21. Walmart was not able to build a store in Pineville so they purchased the land off Hwy 21 in Fort Mill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2007, 04:42 PM

17 posts, read 63,646 times
Default walmart (carolinawaman

hey there carolina, that is great news for me as i have a bread route and that would be in my territory but how did you hear of that, can you please tell me.....also do you know when it is gunna happen ?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:31 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,651 times
Just what we need... That will make 2 in Fort Mill... Wal-Mart...GO AWAY!

Old 12-21-2007, 05:39 PM

348 posts, read 1,360,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marndt View Post
Just what we need... That will make 2 in Fort Mill... Wal-Mart...GO AWAY!

Why do you not like Walmart?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,970,291 times
I don't understand Walmart's market penetration or whatever it's called, when they build stores within a few miles of each other. The new Tega Cay Super Store is just down the road.

We have the York Super Store and understand Walmart will be building another store in Newport ... which again is just down the road from the York store.

But ... who am I to question some of the richest people in the whole wide world!!

Old 12-22-2007, 05:57 AM

They are building to gain market share, which gives them more power to control prices, grow their customer base and cut off the little guy. From a grocery standpoint we will now have a Lowes Food, Food Lion, Harris Teeter, Bilo, Peach Stand, another Food Lion and a Bloom with in Fort Mill. We also have within a 8 mile drive, Rivergate, which has a Super Target, Harris Teeter and Bilo... There is also a proposed Ald that is looking to build on 160 west. My point is "HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?"

Old 12-22-2007, 08:18 AM

95 posts, read 385,900 times
If Fort Mill can take that slice of town and get a decent tax slice out of it I say go for it unlike the Walmart at Tega Cay with a view of Lakeshore. 'Or would it be that section of LakeShore that has a the view of Walmart.

'And for those in Eastern Fort Mill as myself I find Blakeney to be closer than Rivergate. Cornerstone on 100 acres, another Blakeney and possibly then some will be much closer though is not slated for completion until 2011.

The yet to be named complex on 55 acres that I thought was in Fort Mill city limits though honestly I never checked, with a proposed Super Target anchor, will be even closer but not too close.

How much is too much? There are 8K building permits out here just waiting for that Southern Belt to be completed. This entire area will be suburbanized in the next 10 years.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 AM

146 posts, read 451,712 times
[quote=Carolina-Trader;2315442]If Fort Mill can take that slice of town and get a decent tax slice out of it I say go for it unlike the Walmart at Tega Cay with a view of Lakeshore. 'Or would it be that section of LakeShore that has a the view of Walmart.
QUOTE]

That is exactly why we didn't buy in that end of Lakeshore! I have to say I am not thrilled at the idea of having a Walmart so close to home. I don't want to offend anyone, but I think of walmart as very low end and not a great addition to the neighborhood. It is bad enough that we have so many strip malls around... just my opinion...

Old 12-22-2007, 09:07 AM

I agree with you PA Family!

Old 12-22-2007, 09:25 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,901,739 times
I don't know about Walmarts in the Carolinas, but in CT, Walmarts carry different products depending on the communities where they are in. We went to one in Avon, CT where their coffee shop carried coffee to rival Starbucks, their linen selections were not the same as the ones in other locations, and yes, there were pricing and brand differentials compared to other stores even within the same county. Walmart must have a business model in mind, and from our experience, that Walmart did not bring in the undesirable elements from the other towns into this town, as people always fear the big box store would, because the commodities in the store are not in their price points. Because the clientele were local to the area, we did not experience parking at the parking lot to be a contact sport issue. Neither did we experience merchandise being pulled off the shelves and left on the ground.

I do shop Walmart but would not go into their other practices. I like them for their pricing and merchandise, especially for those where I am brand indifferent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties