Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 11:15 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,989,802 times

Advertisements

I noticed the new WalMarts on 521 and the one in lake Wylie/Clover are not 24/7, instead, they are open from 6am to 12am. Any reason? They dont say "Supercenter" but, they got everything a supercenter has. Is this a new trend walmart is going to go in? I sure hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 PM

225 posts, read 689,683 times
As far as I have heard, it is town ordinances, that were imposed, if they wanted to open those stores, in the locations mentioned. Basically, the higher price residential area, don't want it open 24/7, because they feel it will invite problems with loitering and possible theft. As per Walmart, their Super Centers are open 24 hours, therefore they are considered super centers.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sal707 View Post
As far as I have heard, it is town ordinances, that were imposed, if they wanted to open those stores, in the locations mentioned. Basically, the higher price residential area, don't want it open 24/7, because they feel it will invite problems with loitering and possible theft. As per Walmart, their Super Centers are open 24 hours, therefore they are considered super centers.
Odd then as Tega Cay is 24/7 and id say thats a high priced/upper scale area.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM

841 posts, read 2,475,512 times
I think since this area is not super populated, they don't think they will get many customers in the middle of the night. I went to the Lake Wylie Walmart last night around 8:30pm...and it was super dead at that time. For the first time ever in a Walmart, I saw no lines and even the cashiers were just standing around chit-chatting with each other. I loved that I was able to just walk up to a line and check out without waiting 30 minutes. Also, I asked a worker why they're not open 24 hours and they did say it's York County regulations.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana View Post
I think since this area is not super populated, they don't think they will get many customers in the middle of the night. I went to the Lake Wylie Walmart last night around 8:30pm...and it was super dead at that time. For the first time ever in a Walmart, I saw no lines and even the cashiers were just standing around chit-chatting with each other. I loved that I was able to just walk up to a line and check out without waiting 30 minutes. Also, I asked a worker why they're not open 24 hours and they did say it's York County regulations.
Tega Cay is in York County and its 24/7, so that makes no sense.

Im pretty sure its due to low traffic/not enough population in the areas.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:38 PM

146 posts, read 572,446 times
If you look at Walmart's website, Tega Cay is listed as a Supercenter while Newport and Lake Wylie are not, which probably explains the reduced hours. (just my guess.) Glad its not 24/7. I live close to it... and it isn't crowded ... but corporate walmart strategy, at the time these two sites were planned, is to have a walmart every 15 miles....

Old 09-23-2010, 08:51 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,004 times
I would think the Tega Cay Walmart is in just as upscale area as the one on 521. Heck the Tega Cay Walmart is a much nicer looking building and area. The industrial look of the Walmart on 521 is absolutley awful. I would have taken the Tega Cay look anyday. Also my neighbor works there and says that they are Super Walmart under the new concept.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:56 AM

Whats the "new concept"? Not calling walmarts "supercenters" anymore?

Old 09-23-2010, 01:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,022,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaysofThundr46 View Post
Whats the "new concept"? Not calling walmarts "supercenters" anymore?

They make the front look more like a strip mall rather than a warehouse.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM

564 posts, read 1,454,004 times
They are also lowering all shelving, opening aisles, reducing case stacks, no tire & lube centers, enhanced lighting & brighter paint scheme in the new prototype stores. I am not a fan of Walmart but am in retail on the corporate end and see articles daily about what they are doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties