Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:51 AM

104 posts, read 185,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgibbs2007 View Post
Hello,
I am so so sick and tired of new development in the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area. We moved from Charlotte to get away from the traffic and congestion. They always talk about traffic traffic and traffic but we fail to realize that when you build more and more stupid cookie-cutter subdivisions allowing more and more growth, this will equal more traffic. This area is big enough. Heck Charlotte in general is big enough. They got 2 professional teams, shopping, fortune 500 companies, 2 banks, 2 interstates, skyline, and more. What more do the Charlotte area want?? Why are they trying so dang hard to "grow". Anyways back to my area. I see two new subdivisions coming on Hwy 160. All I see if greedy developers destroying and deforesting animals home for more land for man. They are sickening with this crap. We need laws preventing and restricting development in York County. We don't want that crap over here. Stay across the border and take your traffic with you!!!! I am so sick of Charlotte area trying to catch up with Atlanta.
I don't understand posts like this.

Cities like Charlotte seek to grow. They don't say, "Hey, we have two pro teams and a skyline -- let's not allow anyone else to move here! No more growing!!!" Same thing with smaller towns like Fort Mill; they want to grow and attract new residents. Name me some cities and towns that don't seek growth.

You don't like cookie-cutter neighborhoods. Okay, don't live in one, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 02:35 PM

10,113 posts, read 11,032,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme12 View Post
The county and town/city does not money off the land.. they make money off the homes.
So who makes the most the money? Everyone does in the deal:
- Land owner with 10 acres sold to the developer for a $1 million. (say $100k per acre)
- The developer sells 20 lots at $150k per lot. ($3 million total sales, profit of $2m)
- The County and Fort Mill makes money of the tax revenue generated by NOT having zoning enforcements or codes to restrict the number of homes per acre of land.

If York approved the rezoning to .75-1 acre lots going forward for all new construction.. Id be ecstatic! Jump for joy everyone... but they dont... why?? Because its all about the greedy pockets York and Fort Mill wants to line in their coffers from the tax revenue. If the example 10 acre parcel of land was divided only by 10 instead of 20 lots... well... you get the picture...

Any person running for office that can curb the crazy zoning laws around here has my vote. Im all for growth and prosperity.. but its getting a little ridiculous with the cookie cutter homes stacked one on top of each other and a yard that has 10x10 feet.

Demand Public space.. Parks... trails... and new zoning that sets back commercial development from the roads . Ever drive through Bluffton/Hilton Head.. Ever business is set back in the trees.

#1 - change the residential zoning laws to avoid these .25-.35 lots. Minimum lot size should be .5-1 acre with the limitation of how many trees can be cut down when clearing.

Its all on York County to fix this. Fort Mill just follows the county on what the law says. The developers are basically getting their way. Have a few million bucks and some connections.. you too can buy land and flip it.

You are absolutely right. It is all up to York County Council with the Planning Dept. It's all about money and they love urban sprawl.

We had a YC Councilman that tried to pass an ordinance regarding the distance between homes. This happened when Lake Wylie started to boom and the developments were popping up door to door. He was a volunteer fireman at Bethel and they had a fire in a home that spread to the others home as they were so close to each other.

I wonder how much money the goat farmer received for his land.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:32 PM

74 posts, read 113,523 times
I cant find whom is running for York Council. Basically the communities need to stand on a common ground and agree that any council member that wants our collective vote, they need to address the "sprawl" concerns. Growth and prosperity is great, but the way its happening here in York, it needs to be addressed .

Just saw a sign to rezone something at Gold Hill and Pleasant road where "John's Place" is and the KOA. My guess is that entire KOA and gas station are doomed to be rezone to apartments and commercial. Which would be make somewhat sense. (near the highway, etc). However.. Another strip mall should not go there.

But who knows what the rezoning notice is all about.. Residential, Commercial.. mixed use....

Old 05-23-2014, 08:27 AM

4,275 posts, read 6,359,049 times
That KOA is one of the most successful and highly-rated in the state (I read that a couple years ago). They wouldn't go without a fight, I think. Same for John's Place - it would suck to invest all that money into renovating only to be shut down.

The gas station, on the other hand - having to close their main entrance off Gold Hill because of the Publix probably really made them suffer a lot of lost business. I know I hardly ever go there anymore, whereas before they were my go-to because of the convenient easy-in entrance on the way to work.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:58 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,251,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme12 View Post

Just saw a sign to rezone something at Gold Hill and Pleasant road where "John's Place" is and the KOA. My guess is that entire KOA and gas station are doomed to be rezone to apartments and commercial. Which would be make somewhat sense. (near the highway, etc). However.. Another strip mall should not go there.

But who knows what the rezoning notice is all about.. Residential, Commercial.. mixed use....
Trigg is the owner, and who requested the rezoning (KOA/John's Place)

REQUESTED ACTION To rezone approximately +/- 1.25 acres from AGC to BD-III

http://www.yorkcountygov.com/_fileUp...s/14-12(1).pdf

Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 PM

The individual is requesting the land be rezoned from AGC which is Agricultural Conservation District to BD-III. BD-III is Business Development III, the most intense commercial zoning designation, permits large-scale commercial and office development as well as multifamily residential uses.

But it's just +/-1.25 acres out of a 33.54 acre tract, that's weird.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:44 PM

68 posts, read 141,505 times
If you want a stagnant community that is not going to grow, then move to Fort Lawn in Chester County rather than Fort Mill. Fort Lawn has added a whopping 20 residents over the last 10 years! (2002: 857; 2012: 877)

Old 05-25-2014, 05:49 AM

33 posts, read 53,643 times
I hear that the city of Detroit is doing a commendable job of limiting this kind of outrageous, greed-fueled sprawl. Actually, you can kill two birds with one stone. The best way for the OP to be happy is to move from FM/TC to Detroit thereby reducing the pace of growth here and enjoying the lack of growth in the greater Detroit area. I understand the surrounding areas of Detroit are actually experiencing re-forestation. The packs of wild pit bulls are thriving and multiplying so nature is on the rebound as well. I think that you will love it! You won't have to put up with all the rising home values or anything.

Old 05-26-2014, 06:18 AM

4,275 posts, read 6,359,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The individual is requesting the land be rezoned from AGC which is Agricultural Conservation District to BD-III. BD-III is Business Development III, the most intense commercial zoning designation, permits large-scale commercial and office development as well as multifamily residential uses.

But it's just +/-1.25 acres out of a 33.54 acre tract, that's weird.
I agree that is weird. I think (THINK being the operative word), it's the section just next to the gas station that has the teeny tiny Publix sign - near the entrance to the KOA.

As I said in an earlier post, I sincerely doubt the KOA would ever close down since it's one of the best in the state. But I can see the owners wanting to get in on the whole "sell your land for millions" thing that is currently the norm along Gold Hill and 160.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJoe View Post
If you want a stagnant community that is not going to grow, then move to Fort Lawn in Chester County rather than Fort Mill. Fort Lawn has added a whopping 20 residents over the last 10 years! (2002: 857; 2012: 877)
But you would have two good restaurants in Fort Lawn, the Wagon Wheel and Catawba Fish Camp. Their annual Spring Festival in April with train rides, arts and crafts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I agree that is weird. I think (THINK being the operative word), it's the section just next to the gas station that has the teeny tiny Publix sign - near the entrance to the KOA.

As I said in an earlier post, I sincerely doubt the KOA would ever close down since it's one of the best in the state. But I can see the owners wanting to get in on the whole "sell your land for millions" thing that is currently the norm along Gold Hill and 160.
I doubt the campground is going anywhere too. It's the only place to camp around here except the county's Ebenezer Landing Campground. When PTL was alive and well they had a huge campground but it's gone now.

With the right money I guess they could figure out something else to build on +/-1.25 acres.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties