Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 PM

1,452 posts, read 2,995,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
If you live in Tega Cay, your York County Councilman lives there too, Michael Johnson. Are you signed up for his newsletters? I don't live in his district but I receive his newsletters via email. My councilman doesn't send out newsletters.
Yes, I have contacted him a few times, and he has taught me how the process works. I am subscribed to his newsletters and advise everyone else to also. He is most likely getting my vote if he runs again.
He lives in Tega Cay, so understands what we are putting up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,980,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
Yes, I have contacted him a few times, and he has taught me how the process works. I am subscribed to his newsletters and advise everyone else to also. He is most likely getting my vote if he runs again.
He lives in Tega Cay, so understands what we are putting up with.
You have a good one, I told him I was not in his district but he answers lots of questions I have. I wish he was my rep. LOL

Old 05-20-2014, 03:17 PM

43 posts, read 81,605 times
Question, does the town make more money per house vs larger lots? Like why are they not building any large custom homes like Springfield, larger homes on the same amount of land? That brings less people into the schools for sure and those larger homes probably pay double what the $200 homes do. There seems to be enough of that lower price range now anyway with all the new coming in. How does that work? I know the builder will sell less homes but the big ones are double or triple that price so isn't it all the same??

Old 05-20-2014, 06:32 PM

16 posts, read 41,471 times
To answer the question "is there a way for the County to stop or reduce growth in Fort Mill"? Yes in three easy steps 1. raise taxes 2. lower the quality of the schools 3. increase crime/reduce citizen safety...basically try to be more like most of Meck County. But seriously I think the growth in Fort Mill is only going to increase with all the businesses continuing to move into the Charlotte area. A lot of folks moving to the South Side of CLT end up choosing between Union County NC and Fort Mill--the UCPS redistricting debacle will probably push more over to the York County/Fort Mill side.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 PM

351 posts, read 657,317 times
I can't believe how much change I've seen just in the 2 1/2 years we've been here. I understand the area is going to continue to grow, but I wish they could at least change the roads simultaneously while they're building all these subdivisions/apt complexes. I can say we are nowhere near in the Atlanta ballpark, not by a longshot, at least not yet.

The other day I saw a SUV on the side of Gold Hill with a sign in the window that said Traffic Count. And CN2 news talked about the traffic problem yesterday saying they might put an exit off 77 at Coltharp (sp?) to help ease congestion, plus the diamond on Gold Hill and something about the intersection at 160 and Gold Hill. Going to be several years away though. :-/

Anyone considering leaving the area in the next few years?

Old 05-20-2014, 07:35 PM

157 posts, read 530,334 times
I'm glad most of you understand my POV. They market and promote growth TOO MUCH. It's like the Charlotte Metro Area feel they have something to prove. You all remember this, more people, more traffic, more crime!!!! I hate to sound like that but too many folks coming to York County. I guess some can argue that I am contributing to the problem since I moved from Mint Hill and if so I respect the opinions. But you all understand the problem right. The one who made the comment about leaders that will control growth during election will also get my vote and I will start attending the political campaigns for the sake of my family's quality of living. Thank you all for your comments.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:30 AM

533 posts, read 937,403 times
It's cheap to live in Ft Mill (taxes) and you have great schools. An exact comparison to the Weddington area in Union Country. Did you actually think population/traffic would stay low?

Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 AM

564 posts, read 1,456,142 times
The very reason everyone is moving here will change. Taxes will go up because of the influx of individuals who want what they had back home. Schools will be overcrowded and scores will slip. The schools will become just average. Traffic will get worse because the county only wants the income from roof tops. Forget about the impact. Everyone feels they have found there own Shangri la only to wait at the entrance in traffic all day. But I still will not go anywhere. I just wish the drive to the lake was like it use to be.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:02 AM

74 posts, read 113,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoemakerinc View Post
Question, does the town make more money per house vs larger lots? Like why are they not building any large custom homes like Springfield, larger homes on the same amount of land? That brings less people into the schools for sure and those larger homes probably pay double what the $200 homes do. There seems to be enough of that lower price range now anyway with all the new coming in. How does that work? I know the builder will sell less homes but the big ones are double or triple that price so isn't it all the same??

The county and town/city does not money off the land.. they make money off the homes. More homes, more lots more tax revenue. Lets say you have 10 acres of land that is owned by a single resident. The single resident wants to sell the 10 acres to a developer. The developer goes to the county to have it rezone into what he recommends. The county votes on it and the parcel is sold. So who makes the most the money? Everyone does in the deal:
- Land owner with 10 acres sold to the developer for a $1 million. (say $100k per acre)
- The developer sells 20 lots at $150k per lot. ($3 million total sales, profit of $2m)
- The County and Fort Mill makes money of the tax revenue generated by NOT having zoning enforcements or codes to restrict the number of homes per acre of land.

If York approved the rezoning to .75-1 acre lots going forward for all new construction.. Id be ecstatic! Jump for joy everyone... but they dont... why?? Because its all about the greedy pockets York and Fort Mill wants to line in their coffers from the tax revenue. If the example 10 acre parcel of land was divided only by 10 instead of 20 lots... well... you get the picture...

Any person running for office that can curb the crazy zoning laws around here has my vote. Im all for growth and prosperity.. but its getting a little ridiculous with the cookie cutter homes stacked one on top of each other and a yard that has 10x10 feet.

Demand Public space.. Parks... trails... and new zoning that sets back commercial development from the roads . Ever drive through Bluffton/Hilton Head.. Ever business is set back in the trees.

#1 - change the residential zoning laws to avoid these .25-.35 lots. Minimum lot size should be .5-1 acre with the limitation of how many trees can be cut down when clearing.

Its all on York County to fix this. Fort Mill just follows the county on what the law says. The developers are basically getting their way. Have a few million bucks and some connections.. you too can buy land and flip it.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:35 AM

100 posts, read 213,311 times
It's a step in the right direction, now they need to figure out how to get the roads built to get there....

FORT MILL: Fort Mill airs options for growing parks & rec to keep up with population | News | Fort Mill Times#
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties