Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 11:43 AM

625 posts, read 494,125 times

Advertisements

My job's relocating to Charlotte and we and plan on moving to SC.

I had the opportunity to visit the area on Thursday and checked out Carolina Reserve on Jim Wilson Rd -- not too keen on the fact that its so new and we'd be living in a state of surrounded construction for a very long time. I decided to take a look at Rosemont on Fort Mill Highway and really liked the community. It pretty much meets all our needs - community pool, basement lots, young families with kids about our son's age. We're pretty much set on Indian Land. Fort Mill is too crowded for me and since my job will be in Ballantyne it seems like the most convenient.

I spoke with some parents that were by the community pool to see how they liked it and they mentioned that a new elementary school is being built nearby.

Seems like the schools in IL have a great reputation and the main issue is overcrowding. I was wondering, will there now be two elementary schools in Indian Land or are they just building a larger one and transferring the current students? I'm just trying to get a feel for what's happening.

As an outsider, it seems like if they split it into two schools, there will be a different sense in the community regarding the schools and it will be a huge period of adjustment for the current kids. It also seems that the area by Rosemont has the more "expensive" developments/communities. Which would affect the feel of the new school if its a separate school from the other ILES.

Just wondering what the thoughts are from those of you that live there.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 01:54 PM

71 posts, read 162,691 times
The new school will be built on Harrisburg Rd right before Calvin Hall Rd. They've already started it and its set to open for the 2014-2015 school year. Indian Land will have 2 elmentary schools when it opens and yes I'm sure the older grades will have some adjustments as friends are split between the 2 schools. Last I heard from the district line will be split around the Bridgehampton neighborhood - Bridgehampton and north will go to the new school and south of it will remain at the older one

Bridgehampton and the back half of Bridgemill are the 2 most expensive neighborhoods in IL I believe. They will both be at the new school. There are plenty of other very nice neighborhoods all over IL, I don't think this will be an issue.

As for as the current IL school, my main complaints are overcrowding, the early start-7:15 am- and it's a uniform school. But I'm thankful those are just minor complaints, my son has done well there and the teachers and staff are great. The early start is hard on both our young kids. The bus comes to our neighborhood at 6:10 am...we live 10 minutes north of the school so we end up driving him. I find the uniform policy expensive because I have to buy uniforms and regular clothes every season. My friends with girls love it, less fighting over what to wear.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM

625 posts, read 494,125 times
Thanks for the info. Would those in Rosemont attend the new school? I'm not familiar with how the neighborhoods are broken down. I would hope so considering the proximity to the new school. The one thing that deterred me from that part of Indian Land, and Rosemont, was the distance to the school.

My son would be starting school next year - 2014.

I agree that IL seems really nice over all. I'll be going down again in about a month or so and want to check more of it out.

EDIT: Never mind... I found out the answer. Rosemont is less than 2 miles from the new school...

Last edited by SCCoqui; 06-29-2013 at 02:18 PM..

Old 06-29-2013, 07:49 PM

71 posts, read 162,691 times
We have loved IL. We lived in Charlotte for awhile and bought down here in 2008. The area is really growing. Lots of families. You will not regret buying in the area.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:07 PM

78 posts, read 246,207 times
Another neighborhood worth looking at is Clairemont. It is very close to Rosemont and I know it is zoned for the new school. It is a well established neighborhood so there is no construction in it! Very nice neighborhood with sidewalks, pool, and playground! I have lived here for a while, quiet and friendly place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties