Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 03:29 PM

116 posts, read 551,129 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else had problems with Riverview Water in Fort Mill? We do not live in the city and are forced to use this water system. There is no office and all you get when you call is a answering service which never returns your calls. We moved into our home in Sutton Place off Sutton Rd on June 21. We had the water put in our name on that day. However, we received a bill for the entire month of June. Better yet in was for nearly 30000 gallons of water. We have called 8 times and never received a single phone call back. Yesterday we received another two bills. Now it is for July, we somehow have 2 accounts, and each of the are for somewhere in the 25000 gallon range. We do have two meters so the two bill may make sense, however, we refuse to pay for 21 days of water we did not use and further I do not believe the 2 of us and a irrigation system that only waters our front yard used 50,000 gallons of water in a month.

Hopefully someone has an answer or explanation for this. I have never heard of a private utility company operated out of a living room, and now that I have I keep feeling like at some point someone is going to say just kidding. I just don't understand how a municipality can "sell" the right for someone else to run a utility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 05:33 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD/MBA View Post
Has anyone else had problems with Riverview Water in Fort Mill? We do not live in the city and are forced to use this water system. There is no office and all you get when you call is a answering service which never returns your calls. We moved into our home in Sutton Place off Sutton Rd on June 21. We had the water put in our name on that day. However, we received a bill for the entire month of June. Better yet in was for nearly 30000 gallons of water. We have called 8 times and never received a single phone call back. Yesterday we received another two bills. Now it is for July, we somehow have 2 accounts, and each of the are for somewhere in the 25000 gallon range. We do have two meters so the two bill may make sense, however, we refuse to pay for 21 days of water we did not use and further I do not believe the 2 of us and a irrigation system that only waters our front yard used 50,000 gallons of water in a month.

Hopefully someone has an answer or explanation for this. I have never heard of a private utility company operated out of a living room, and now that I have I keep feeling like at some point someone is going to say just kidding. I just don't understand how a municipality can "sell" the right for someone else to run a utility.
ahh yes...water companies...

For a little background (there's more to what I am about to write but I am giving you the Readers Digest Condensed Version)....Fort Mill buys water from Rock Hill. Fort Mill then turns around and sells the water to such middleman companies as Riverview Water (certain parts of Tega Cay use to be under the Riverview umbrella but that has since changed), Tega Cay Water (not much better than how you have described Riverview Water), and I believe a few others. There have been studies done on how (basically silly) these over lapping companies are...yet the root of it seems to be....if these middleman companies are done away with.....the town of Fort Mill will loose revenue.

Tega Cay (as it continues to grow) is looking at putting the necessary items in place so eventually Tega Cay will purchase water directly from Rock Hill.

While I realize what I'm writing doesn't help your situation...I do hope you are able to get your billing dispute corrected.

Good Luck!

http://www.yorkcountygov.com/gis/map...0Districts.pdf

Old 08-05-2007, 07:01 PM

As the area continues to grow and becomes more and more attractive to those trying to escape the taxation of Char/Meck, I think it is the little things like having middlemen in place of utilities that will be a great argument to stay in NC.
You are absolutely correct about how silly this is to have overlapping districts. My water bill in Charleston was never more than 30 dollars and here it is approaching 150. This is ridiculous and with private companies involved and no choice of service providers, I believe this borders on monopolistic.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:53 AM

Okay we have now placed 10 phone calls and have yet to hear from anyone at Riverview water systems. Although we are mostly concerned about paying for a month of water when did not own nor live in the house we are being billed for, we are also concerned about the fact that Riverview says we are using more than 27000 gallons of water each month. We do have an irrigation system, but it is only in the front yard and we do not have an enormous yard. I just can't imagine that 3 days a week = 25000 gallons of water in a month (2500 gallons went to the house off the second meter)

I was just curious if anyone else could give some point of reference for this to let me know if this is as ridiculous as it seems to me and my wife.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:49 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,243 times
Double check my math, but 30 days * 24 hours * 60 minutes = 43200 minutes in a month. So it looks like you're using just over a 1/2 gallon a minute. (25000 / 43200 = 0.578)

Assuming your water pressure is supplied at 75psi you are looking at a hole approximately 1/4" in size. My best suggestion is to turn off all the water on the property and check your meter over several minutes to see if there is any flow. If there's still flow, there is either a leaky pipe or another outlet. I'd also check several days in a row to make sure say the whole commons areas in your neighborhood aren't running off your meter.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,491 times
Default Yes

OH YES! We had almost the same EXACT problem! I kept calling and my voice mails got meaner each time. When we finally got a hold of them they tried to insist we USED that much water!!!! Makeing it seem like we were the ONLY ones who have ever had this problem with them. They finally made it sound like they were doing us a favor by crediting us for the huge payments we made for all the water we did not use. Then we had to get the guy out here to hook up our irrigation to a seperate meter. THAT was fun to wait about three months before we could get him to come do that! Good luck! I am sure they will give you a credit, but let them know that we are all catching on to the fact that they do this to many people. I have at least 4 neighboors that had similar problems.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:16 AM

Just wanted to pass along another issue we are having with this irritating public non-service.

Yesterday we walked out our front door to find a door hanger stating we were watering on the wrong day ($50 fine). Mind you this was Monday morning and the sprinkler was on from 2AM until 3:30AM. We have an even number address so our watering day begins Sunday and 9PM and ends Monday at 5AM. They still will not return our calls (made several yesterday) and the lady answering the phone does not seem to understand that the day changes at Midnight. She continues to just ramble that our watering day is Sunday not Monday. Can they be that ignorant?

I think we need to find out who (higher up the ladder) we need to contact to get this fixed. This company will not do anything outside of accepting payment for no services rendered. There is no office, no email, and no direct phone number. All you get is a lady who says I will page them and they never call back. I have to wonder as a "public" water service is this legal. If not illegal it certainly is unethical.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:50 AM

14 posts, read 49,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmD/MBA View Post
Just wanted to pass along another issue we are having with this irritating public non-service.

Yesterday we walked out our front door to find a door hanger stating we were watering on the wrong day ($50 fine). Mind you this was Monday morning and the sprinkler was on from 2AM until 3:30AM. We have an even number address so our watering day begins Sunday and 9PM and ends Monday at 5AM. They still will not return our calls (made several yesterday) and the lady answering the phone does not seem to understand that the day changes at Midnight. She continues to just ramble that our watering day is Sunday not Monday. Can they be that ignorant?

I think we need to find out who (higher up the ladder) we need to contact to get this fixed. This company will not do anything outside of accepting payment for no services rendered. There is no office, no email, and no direct phone number. All you get is a lady who says I will page them and they never call back. I have to wonder as a "public" water service is this legal. If not illegal it certainly is unethical.
This has been a debate in my household. We also have an even house address. The restrictions are somewhat vague. So my argument with my dh was that we could water from Midnight to 5 AM Sunday then again 9 PM to Midnight also on Sunday (same thing for Thursday). However, his argument was it says Sunday & Thurs. 9 PM to 5 AM.

The issue with watering only on Sunday is I can't get the irrigation system to water at two different times on the same day. I would like to note that we are a household of two adults (and 4 dogs) we do about 6 loads of laundry a week. We went from a top load washer using between 40 to 50 gallons of water per load to a front load washer only using about 14 gallons per load. We run the dishwasher about 3 times a week. I think we make every effort to conserve water. I'm nervous about how much water there actually is and how long it will last.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:15 PM

I called Rock Hill Water, those who sell the water to Riverview, and they confirmed the dates. Even number houses can water beginning at 9PM on Sunday until 5AM Monday and from 9PM THursday to 5AM Friday. I have mine set for 2 to 3:30AM Monday morning. I cannot believe how frustrated I am. I have called 7 times in the last 2 days and have yet to get a call back. I am trying to decide whether to face the financial fact of getting an attorney or the sheer enjoyment of contacting one of the local news casts.

Who would want me to contact the news with all of our horror stories and get them involved?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:39 PM

14 posts, read 49,195 times
I say call the news station...they love stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties