Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:01 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,507 times

Advertisements

I'm getting excited to be able to come to Wyoming for my interview. After 10 + years since I last set foot there, there's a lot I want to see.. but alas, I will have to stick to the North Eastern part of the state this time.

Anyway, since I'll be driving I will have a little time to sight see... is it possible to drive by/through Devil's tower area on my way (either there or back)? I've always wanted to see it and would like to take a couple pictures, but don't have time to get out and explore very much.

Also, weather wise, what's it been like there? In NW Minnesota we finally have spring now, but I know higher elevations can tend toward the colder side. Is the snow all melted?? yes I said that 4 letter word...but realistically I want to be prepared

Look out Wyoming, here I come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 07:53 PM

203 posts, read 713,161 times
Weather has been pretty good. In the 50-60's sunny but windy. It is forecasted to be in the 60's for the rest of the week with slight chance for thunderstorms. But you know that thing can change on a dime here. Wright tends to be pretty windy. Snow has pretty much melted and there is the beginning of hints of little buds of leaves appearing.

You should have no problem seeing Devil's Tower. If you want you could do the little hike around the base. Maybe you could watch Close Encounters before you come out for giggles.

Have a great time.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:15 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,574 times
Froggie, you'll be driving right by the turn off to Devil's Tower if you come through Rapid City & the Black Hills area as you said you'd like to do. It isn't too far a drive off the interstate (about a half hour) and you can just stop & take photos or take the hike around, which took us about an hour when we had Randy's mom & 6 yr old niece with us. Depends on how quickly you want to get here so we can go see more things, or how quickly you want to get home if you go back that way!!! We can talk about it when we chat on the phone. We are all looking forward to your visit (Randy and the cats, too!). Talk to you soon!!!!

I'm EXCITED!!!!
G

Old 04-15-2010, 06:40 AM

36 posts, read 141,071 times
Hey curious what ya goin to interview for ? Also what direction are you gonna be entering the blackhills, ons of stuff to see depending on which way ya go.I grew up in Newcastle and really miss it, hope to be headed back to the area within a few months.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:34 AM

Aprilia- Teaching interview, and coming down through SD from ND...

Georgia, me too! Can't wait to meet you and your hubby (and cats)!

S-queen- I haven't seen Close Encounters since I was a kid.. I just remember the mashed potato replica of the mountain.. ha ha.

Is the terrain through SD and far eastern WY fairly hilly/steep. I need to get my brakes checked/possibly replaced before I go. Hoping my little car won't groan too much with another long drive. 3 days and counting!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Aprilia- Teaching interview, and coming down through SD from ND...

Georgia, me too! Can't wait to meet you and your hubby (and cats)!

S-queen- I haven't seen Close Encounters since I was a kid.. I just remember the mashed potato replica of the mountain.. ha ha.

Is the terrain through SD and far eastern WY fairly hilly/steep. I need to get my brakes checked/possibly replaced before I go. Hoping my little car won't groan too much with another long drive. 3 days and counting!
You won't encounter much for hills on your trip. I-90 heads stright for the Black Hills until you get to Rapid City and then turns North and parrallels the Hills up to Sturgis and then goes through a break in the Hills into Wyoming. The biggest Hill you will encounter is between Sundance and Morecroft. And it's not much of a hill. Won't even need breaks except for the hundreds of Antelop and Deer that seem to want o graze on the highway.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,240,340 times
Heading west on I-90, I'd suggest you exit at Sundance for Devils Tower, and then after seeing it, head for Moorcroft. That'll be a little shorter and you'll get to see more country. If you don't see it until heading back towards Minnesota, Exit I-90 at Moorcroft, then rejoin it at Sundance.

Have a nice trip, and good luck with the interview.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2010, 01:44 PM

253 posts, read 463,560 times
I would suggest that you exit I90 at Whitewood SD, go to Belle Fourche, then to Hulett WY which is within about 4-5 miles of the tower. Then, after viewing the tower, return to I90 at Moorcroft. This adds as little extra mileage as any, and is by far the prettiest route.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm coming down 85 through Belle Fourche to 90... I'll have to see if I have time coming or going to veer off. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming