Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 03:09 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,224,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septocaine_queen View Post
Actually I never had allergies in San Diego. Only when I went inland from the beach. I did have allergies at our place in Vegas. I got allergies from the wildfires and air pollution when I lived out near Riverside/ San Bernardino ( which has the worst air in the country) for grad school. My eyes actually burned the first few months I lived out there.

Living in town, the wind is not really bad at all, less than Vegas, but I suspect it is due to living in the city not outside the city limits.
SoCal ... San Diego, Riverside/SanBerdoo ... not uncommon for average humidity year 'round to be in the low 80% and "dry" air in the late afternoon to still be in the mid 70% range. A much higher amount of continuous moisture than here in Wyoming, which is why SoCal has so many insects that don't survive here. For example, fleas ... prevalent everywhere in SoCal, even in all the "dryland" xeriscape landscaping (including rock/gravel/brick/cinderblock areas), but they don't survive in Wyoming. There's a much higher prevalence of other insects in/around all buildings/homes/structures, ranging from termites (virtually non-existent in Wyoming) to centipedes/millipedes, and all manner of crawling non-see-ums (as well as roaches and other larger insects) in ductwork, walls, foundation/crawl spaces. The result is a much higher load of insect fecal matter in the living environment everywhere there's a closed structure. Then there's stuff like snails/slugs .... Environmental control companies do a huge business in the region, while it's a minor nuisance issue in Wyoming ....

In my experience, there's a lot of ongoing low-grade allergic reactions to those conditions. I'm not a medical professional, but I sure have a lot of anecdotal experience with friends visiting from SoCal who remark upon the dryness at our altitude (skin sensitivity) but also observe relief from a lot of sinus irritation that they take for "normal" back home, or the eye "burning" sensation. They typically notice the eye burning upon their return to SoCal and realize they didn't have it in Wyoming.

I certainly notice my eye burning and sinus problems when heading to SanDiego or SoCal ... and am especially sensitive to the symptoms because I don't have the problems back home in Wyoming. Even the refinery "smell" in Cheyenne on a calm wind day doesn't trigger problems for me like I get in SoCal. The only relief I get in SanDiego is to get out on the water and away from the land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,246,153 times
I didn't understand you.
Are there a lot of millipedes/centipedes in Wyoming or not a lot?

Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,224,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyPhoenix View Post
I didn't understand you.
Are there a lot of millipedes/centipedes in Wyoming or not a lot?
No, there aren't a lot of those crawlers in Wyoming ....

Old 09-22-2009, 06:49 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,253,258 times
Brian....little windy, affordable and the other, doesn't really matter.

Sunsprit- natural pollution blowing through the air doesn't bother me and i've FINALLY gotten my husband to give up the ghost on having a clean vehicle- dust is a way of life out here in the desert. We'd never move without a job or house, had both (and still have the ones we came here with) before leaving TN- things are too danged shaky as it is to go leaping like that. Thanks for the info.

Dinowy-Thanks for weighing in. I can't say I like the idea of the possibility of snow all year long and I know for a fact my husband would object.

Kristynwy- Thanks for the link. I liked to garden in TN before I became too ill and i've tried it here in NM, but it's all container and seems to take forever to get going, even with irrigation. If I had my druthers, i'd travel the whole west lookin' for our utopia. :0)

Septocaine_queen- Thanks for weighing in as a fellow asthmatic. The concept that sooo many difficult medical mysteries can be unraveled and cures found and docs can't figure a way to make our lungs work better is a bit of a pisser, huh?

GeorgiainMT- I understand what your friend is saying-we'd been here two weeks and i'd been perfect, just like before I became ill. Went back to TN for a few days (Docs discovered that my mother had a brain tumor and I flew back immediately) and it was back in the same respiraory purgatory i'd left.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM

76 posts, read 259,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinRoseRanch View Post
Dinowy-Thanks for weighing in. I can't say I like the idea of the possibility of snow all year long and I know for a fact my husband would object.
Just so it isn't miss understood when I mean snow every month of the year I don't mean the entire state or every year. The areas of the state that do have chances of snow year round are mostly limited to the higher elevations. And again, that isn't every month of every year. However, depending on your definition of cold it might last more than 6 months out of the year. For a lot of us locals we don't consider it "cold" until there is a negative sign in front of those numbers. Living here though you better like snow because its pretty likely you'll see more of it than green grass on your front lawn.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:55 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,300,705 times
23 the last too mornings

Old 09-24-2009, 09:15 AM

15 posts, read 44,171 times
RamblinRose,

I will be watching your topic and hope you post any areas that you explore. We are in TN and hoping to move west. We have visited the front range area from Cheyenne down to Colorado Springs over the past 3 years, and just based on "feel" we have liked Cheyenne the best.

We also have horses and just want to be able to ride without having to trailer an hour to a trailhead.

Keep us updated if you have time!

Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 PM

20 posts, read 68,264 times
Some areas of the state are less windy than others. Supposedly the Big Horn Basin is one of the least windy areas of the state. Supposedly. We tend to have warmer summers as well. Still have plenty cold winters, but I've not had an issue with the rope to the barn thing for more than an hour or two at a time. Usually our big storms hit the worst at night. I've never had to skip chores because I couldn't make it out to the barn. Had to put them off a while, but that's all. And those have generally been the spring storms in March/April/May, so it's not as cold then.

Not too sure about jobs in the area. Depends on what you do I guess. People have issues with allergies here, but if you're ok down in NM with the dust and all, you might do ok here.

I gotta agree with coming up and looking. That's always the best.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:30 AM

207 posts, read 715,312 times
Just watch out for the flesh-eating zombies.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:00 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,959,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
There's precious few spots in WY that would *not* meet your criteria. The main deciding points are mountains or plains, Really windy or only a little windy, insainly costly or very affordable.

FWIW, ditto on the areas of MT I know (the middle band from about Missoula to billings, southern to northern border).
Where would one look for a little wind and mild temperatures? And, what part of the state is insanely costly??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming