Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:52 PM

19 posts, read 41,098 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently living in Indiana, we moved here after my husband retired from the Navy and I finished serving my second term in the Navy. I'm originally from Wisconsin and grew up on a farm in the country, and am wanting to move back to a nice quiet setting.
Where we are at now is becoming a little to crazy for my liking with crime and with my daughter going into 2nd grade and my son starting kindergarden I'm wanting a small community with good schools. Something Indiana definitely is lacking in; and both my husband and I love being outdoors, hunting, fishing, camping.
I have been looking at Sheridan, WY and I really like what I have seen and read about so far, but I am looking for some advice or opinions from people who actually live in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 05:08 PM

215 posts, read 668,584 times
There are several of us on the forum that live in or around Sheridan. Just start asking your questions and I am sure someone will answer them for you.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:46 PM

309 posts, read 992,466 times
WY certainly has wide open spaces - like a checker board - but most of it is BLM, USFS, State of WY, Mineral Board, NPS etc. From Sheridan eastward is plenty of space to spread out - just stay away from Powder River and Wright, unless you like drillers or strip mining.

I grew up in Indiana. Farms back there don't really depend on water - because it rains frequently. In Wyoming, it's the other way around - mainly dryland farming - very little rain in the Summer. And, it's very windy.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 PM

I heard that it is more windy around the Casper area than up in Sheridan? Is that not the case?? And good to know about the farming, definitely want to do my own garden, for veggies and such, or is that not something that is feasible around there?? Also do you know anything about the school systems in that area; I hear that for the most part Wyoming has a good public school system. My husband and I have a 5 and 7 year old, so that is definitely something that is important.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 PM

Thank jkb826 I really appreciate the fact that your so willing to share info with myself and my husband. Really my main concerns are about the quality of the school system out there since we have two school age kids. Definitely getting tired of city living, since I grew up in the country, I would like my kids to have a taste of what I had growing up.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:26 PM

375 posts, read 1,382,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoyle79 View Post
I heard that it is more windy around the Casper area than up in Sheridan? Is that not the case?? And good to know about the farming, definitely want to do my own garden, for veggies and such, or is that not something that is feasible around there?? Also do you know anything about the school systems in that area; I hear that for the most part Wyoming has a good public school system. My husband and I have a 5 and 7 year old, so that is definitely something that is important.
I lived out that way for several years. It's windy throughout the state, some places are worse than others. Being downslope of the Bighorn's can be interesting.

We had a hot-house (greenhouse) to grow our veggies and to keep the deer from eating everything.

While WY has no income tax (some find that favorable), about 55% of the property taxes collected are for schools. I never found their schools any better than back here in GA. For many years State officials refused to go along with national testing - and their students suffered for it. One thing I always thought stupid was the amount of time spent travelling for sports. Teams from Powell would travel all the way to Casper for games. I guess the idea of a central sports arena never crossed their minds.
An inordinate amount of the school year is wasted travelling to/from sports venues.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
I lived out that way for several years. It's windy throughout the state, some places are worse than others. Being downslope of the Bighorn's can be interesting.

We had a hot-house (greenhouse) to grow our veggies and to keep the deer from eating everything.

While WY has no income tax (some find that favorable), about 55% of the property taxes collected are for schools. I never found their schools any better than back here in GA. For many years State officials refused to go along with national testing - and their students suffered for it. One thing I always thought stupid was the amount of time spent travelling for sports. Teams from Powell would travel all the way to Casper for games. I guess the idea of a central sports arena never crossed their minds.
An inordinate amount of the school year is wasted travelling to/from sports venues.
Well, good to see that Wisconsin isn't the only place you have to worry about deer raiding your garden!
Our daughter is involved in sports, so I'm glad to see that my drive time will be increased. Although where I grew up there was a lot of travel involved when playing certain teams.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Gardening is popular here. No need for a greenhouse. The season is not real long but plenty of time to get corn,tomatoes, cucumbers and such. Depending on where you live in Sheridan county, your children may have a 4day school week with Fridays off and that is when most sports are done for District 1 which is Bighorn, Ranchester and Dayton.
We do have wind here but not as much as most of the rest of the state. I must say that having grown up here it seems to be more now then when I was growing up. Casper and the lower part of the state seem to have quite alot of wind and having lived there for several years I can testify that Cody has a lot of wind. Wayyyy more than I could cope with.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkb826 View Post
Gardening is popular here. No need for a greenhouse. The season is not real long but plenty of time to get corn,tomatoes, cucumbers and such. Depending on where you live in Sheridan county, your children may have a 4day school week with Fridays off and that is when most sports are done for District 1 which is Bighorn, Ranchester and Dayton.
We do have wind here but not as much as most of the rest of the state. I must say that having grown up here it seems to be more now then when I was growing up. Casper and the lower part of the state seem to have quite alot of wind and having lived there for several years I can testify that Cody has a lot of wind. Wayyyy more than I could cope with.
Glad to here that, definitely did more than my fair share of gardening growing up! Random question what about potatoes, do they work out there or no? Just trying to get a idea of the climate I hear that is mostly dry without a lot of rain, which doesn't bother me at all I find rain depressing.
So with a four day school week, do they have a longer school year to make up for that extra day?? I know here in Indiana it's five day and they start in the middle of August and get out the end of May.
And as far as jobs, what kind of employment is available around there or the norm?? Right now I'm in school and my husband works for the jail, and hopefully will be a deputy here soon. I'm looking to start my own business so trying to get a feel for what is out there.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:26 AM

In growing up my family grew potatos, dont remember how well they did but we always had some at the end of the year.
With the 4 day week they dont usually go any longer in the year but I think their days are a little longer than here in Sheridan. Usually start last week in August and go to last week in May or 1st week in June.
As far as employment around here, it is not what it was a year ago but there are still some opening. In healthcare there is the hospital and the VA. I think the sheriffs office and police department are often looking for some help. That may be good for your husband. We do have 2 large coal mines outside of Sheridan but I don't know if they are hiring at all right now. There is also the railroad here and then there is just the usual type of retail jobs. What is your schooling for? What type of business are you planning on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming