Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM

4 posts, read 27,357 times

Advertisements

My family is considering moving to the Rock Springs/Green River area. My hubby's in construction & is already working there..Currently live in small town, Michigan - bad economy here!

I've found crime stats on city-data that show rock springs has a higher than US avg of crime rates (looks ike in assaults, burglaries & thefts). I'm concerned because I'm looking for a nice, family-friendly town to raise my kids. Is it a safe area? Why the high rates?

How are the schools? decent health care in area? What about travel hockey for 10 year old?

Any info you can offer would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 07:07 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
well i personally like the rock springs area,but a lot of people dont.its a lot different then michigan so i would suggest you visit before you move there.i have never lived there but have a good friend who has for almost 30 years and i have spent a fair amount of time there.he thinks its a great place to live and raised 2 girls there.the area seems to appeal more to men then women generally but different people like different things.there isnt much right around rock springs,but if you like desert areas and outdoor activities you may like it just fine.housing has gone way up since the latest energy boom.i would live there but its really a place you need to visit before you commit to anything.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:51 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,625 times
I think what you noted about crime in Rock Springs is the result of growing pains. When I was there a few weeks ago, I had an opportunity to speak with a Sheriff's Deputy who had only been there for about three years. In that time, he's seen the size (population) of the town nearly triple. This is due primarily to the "energy boom."

I think people are stuck there somewhat, by needing to work, but being unable to find adequate, affordable housing. All around the Rock Springs/Green River/Rawlins area I noticed numerous trailer or RV parks that were filled to capacity. It looked like people were just finding a place to park anywhere they could. The recent influx of workers has created a transient community of sorts. I thing that at times, this causes stress in their lives, that can lead to people doing things they wouldn't otherwise do. This may account for some of the crime, too.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,058 times
At first glance Rock Springs doesn't seem to be family oriented. Which is why when we first moved out we lived in Green River. Green River has more of the feel that you're probably looking for. However, after living in Rock Springs for a couple years now I've found that there are some wonderful people here. The problem is that the percentage of bad people is high considering the population. There is a HUGE meth problem here, yeah I know it's everywhere, but I could never stand in Walmart and pick out the people that are on it in Cheyenne. I'm trying to give you an honest depiction of Rock Springs, but you still need to come out and see for yourself. There are a lot of families that have been here for years. The city is watching construction very closely to ensure they don't end up with problems like they did in the seventies. When you see houses in what should be back yards you'll know what I'm talking about. The plus side is we don't have the wind that they have in the east side of the state. It's 2 hours to Park City, Utah and 2 1/2 to SLC. It's really not too bad of a drive and Park City is an awesome place to get away for the weekend even if you don't ski. Go on greatschools.net to check out the local school ratings. People in Rock Springs seem to have a misconception about which elementary school is the best here. I've heard from different people that there are problems in Green River due to the mormon population in the schools. Kind of a we're mormon so you're catholic kid is to blame thing for example. Be prepared for the cost of buying a house. If you find one in a good neighborhood that needs tender loving care, that's probably your best bet. Finding one in the right neighborhood is key. There are new houses going in but I'm not sure how much you're wanting to spend. A new 1600-1800 s.f. house is going for $300-350,000 on a regular sized city lot. Which considering the average energy worker's salary is $100,000 a year that's affordable. As I said before you need to come out and check it out for yourself. Also be aware that the interstate from GR to RS may only be an eleven mile drive but it's pretty bad in the winter, there are a lot of wrecks and you can get stuck sitting there on I-80 waiting for them to open it back up, not fun. About health care, I have found some great doctors here, the hospital has had a lot of internal changes going on lately, hopefully for the better it's hard to tell from people's differing opinions. I should also add that we've lived here for about 3 years and have never had any crimes committed against us, I think it's somewhat subject to the places you frequent and the people you are around.

Last edited by Earniefan; 04-20-2007 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-20-2007, 11:55 AM

7 posts, read 44,174 times
Default Rock Springs/Green River

Earniefan captures the Rock Springs/Green River area quite nicely. Be sure and read their post.

I work in Rock Springs, but live in Green River. Green River is more of a bedroom community. I decided to live in Green River because it is smaller--about 12,000 vs about 26,000 in Rock Springs according to the RS Chamber. About 12 miles separate the 2 towns and yes, as Earniefan said, the road does get bad in the winter. I missed work once this winter because of the road and remember it being very icy and slow going at least another 7 or 8 times. (Right before Christmas it took me 2 hours to go those 12 miles.)

Living in Green River usually means driving to Rock Springs for most of your shopping, restaurants, movies, and other businesses. Green River has 1 grocery store, which has just completed a major renovation, and 1 small retail store. It has a movie theater, but the theater plays older movies at a discount. It does have 1 great Mexican restaurant, Don Pedros. People from Rock Springs will actually drive over to Green River to eat at Don Pedros. In general, Green River residents drive from Green River to Rock Springs. Rarely the other way around because there is little in Green River, unless you need to conduct county business. (Green River is the county seat. There is a long interesting history why this is.)

Green River is quieter. Many of the crime problems Rock Springs experiences are not found in Green River. Green River is more picturesque. There is a fairly large river running through the center of town and the city has built a walking path and parks along this river. Many consider Green River more family friendly. I am not sure this is true. Rock Springs has many more single men running around town. Many of these men are involved in the oil and gas boom the county, and state, is currently experiencing. This gives the impression Rock Springs is nothing but a town of roughnecks. Meth is the drug of choice in the area and can be a problem for some. (If you go looking for trouble you will find it.)

As Earniefan said, finding a home in the right neighborhood is key. Asking around--this website--is a good place to identify the better neighborhoods. The housing market is pricey--maybe less in Green River by a few thousand--and takes time. Many people find it easier to make some sort of temporary arrangement while looking for a home. True, most good homes are close to $300,000 but occasionally you will find something of value between $200,000-250,000. Most of the listings in the area can be found on www.realtor.com (broken link). The local realtors update this listing daily.

Rock Springs has hockey; Green River does not. Hockey is offered at the Rock Springs Family Recreation Center. Learn more at www.rswy.net/Departments/FRC_Main.htm (broken link) (you'll have to cut and paste the URL) or call the ice arena at 307-352-1445

Do take the advice of many responders and visit the area before relocation. It is an interesting place. You'll either love it or hate it. Hope you like the color brown, very little green here.

Old 04-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Location: My heart is in Wyoming, my body is soon to follow.....
745 posts, read 4,065,058 times
jgbb

I'm so sorry but I have to strongly disagree with the Don Pedro's thing. It's the only mexican restaurant I've ever been in that doesn't have a single mexican working in it and doesn't play mexican music, don't even get me started on the food. Please do me a favor, the next time you're passing through or visiting Laramie go to El Conquistador on Ivinson. Here you will find THE BEST mexican food in the state, order the Archie special with enchilada sauce, trust me you'll thank me. Oh, with the exception of the tamales at Tortilla Factory on south greeley highway in Cheyenne, that's a must stop also. Anyway, in your defense jgbb many people here think that Don Pedro's is terrific, we just don't get it.? Please take no offense, as none was intended.

Old 04-21-2007, 12:21 AM

610 posts, read 3,319,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earniefan View Post
jgbb

I'm so sorry but I have to strongly disagree with the Don Pedro's thing. It's the only mexican restaurant I've ever been in that doesn't have a single mexican working in it and doesn't play mexican music, don't even get me started on the food. Please do me a favor, the next time you're passing through or visiting Laramie go to El Conquistador on Ivinson. Here you will find THE BEST mexican food in the state, order the Archie special with enchilada sauce, trust me you'll thank me. Oh, with the exception of the tamales at Tortilla Factory on south greeley highway in Cheyenne, that's a must stop also. Anyway, in your defense jgbb many people here think that Don Pedro's is terrific, we just don't get it.? Please take no offense, as none was intended.
Just a note #8fan, I didn't know they'd put up a Don Pedro's in Rock Springs - but they have two in Evanston - staffed by Mexicalis. Definitely not the world's best Mexican food ... but I found some pretty good things on the menu. (enchiladas suiza is one). Will take the liberty to plug the chain of Abuelo's. Ate there in Ohio - some of the more unique and best I've ever had ... including, in Mexico.

Old 04-21-2007, 11:12 AM

4 posts, read 27,357 times
Thank you all so much for your candid opinions! That's exactly the information I want to know - the stuff the chamber of commerce won't tell you!! Also, I appreciate all the links! Great info!

My hubby is in residential construction which is why we were looking in the rock springs area - are there any other towns that you recommend that are big construction booms right now...or any areas you know are slower? I wouldn't mind being a little closer to a big town too. I like small town atmosphere to live in (good schools & community a must) but would love to be w/i 45 min-hour of a big town w/bigger hospitals, more extensive services available if needed.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:40 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,361 times
well there are no really big cities in wyoming,rock springs is in the top 5 in population.the only way you're going to be a couple of hours from a big city would be to live in cheyenne[big by wyoming standards]and a couple hours from denver,or evanston,a couple hours from saltlake city.the booms are in the energy areas and all the energy boom towns have the same basic problems.if you want a nice small town close to a fairly big city you could look at sundance in north east wyoming,your husband would have about a 70 mile commute to gillette to work the booming housing market there and you have rapidcity,south dakota about the same distance to the east for major shopping,etc.sundance is in a very beautiful area but not real close to anything but doable if you're dedicated

Old 04-27-2007, 03:17 PM

14 posts, read 123,716 times
Default I live in Green River

We've been here 6 years and it's 6 years too long. Winter is 9 months out of the year which gets old. Meth is at an epidemic stage in Rock Springs as is other drugs. Lots of power drinkers and fighters. I believe Green River is much more quieter. I personally wouldn't want to put a child in the Rock Springs school system. People are desperate for affordable housing.

But I came from Houston always something there to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming