Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 07:15 PM

44 posts, read 133,364 times

Advertisements

I am moving for my Husbands health I think Lovell is the place to move to not far to Montana so we can shop in Billings and save the tax

Last edited by Riverwalker 501; 04-13-2007 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: miss spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 20,228 times
Taxes ? sales tax ? Dose Montana not have sales tax ?

Old 04-14-2007, 12:41 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,650,316 times
I lived in Colorado for a year, Wyoming for three years, Arizona and New Mexico several years each, love the mountains and dry climate! Arizona would be my preference over the others as it has mountains AND desert.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 AM

144 posts, read 628,550 times
Lovell is indeed a beautiful location, but if your primary desire is to avoid sales tax, consider the following:

1. While it's true that MT has no sales tax, sales tax in WY is only 4-5 % and there is no sales tax on food.
2. It's a 100 mile trip to Billings, and the roads are sometimes hazardous in the winter.
3. If you make a major purchase (i.e., automobile) Wyoming will collect the tax anyway.

Therefore, weigh carefully how much tax you will save on your non-food, non-automobile purchases versus the time, trouble and cost of driving to Billings. You may find that other Wyoming locations are more to your liking.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:31 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,599,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I lived in Colorado for a year, Wyoming for three years, Arizona and New Mexico several years each, love the mountains and dry climate! Arizona would be my preference over the others as it has mountains AND desert.
Colorado, Wyoming, and New Mexico also have both mountains and deserts! Each of these states has something that appeals to certain folks, otherwise they'd be empty. I have traveled extensively throughout the west and have found areas in nearly every western state that I would consider living, if finding work were not a necessity.

My main reason for wanting to live in Wyoming over the others is that it is the least crowded of all of them. I have seen what overcrowding does to a state, seeing how California has been in a downward slide for many years, and it does not appear to be slowing down.

My other reasons for choosing Wyoming are the scenery, especially (but not exclusively) the mountain areas, its people, its tax friendliness, and its opportunities for outdoor activities.

Wyoming is not for everyone, however. There are many times that much of Wyoming is very cold, very windy, or both! If you read these forums, you can find out about these things pretty quickly. There is also not a lot to do in Wyoming, if city life is your thing.

I think of living in Wyoming as being a particular lifestyle, and if you don't like that lifestyle, you won't like Wyoming. It is known as the Cowboy State, and the cowboy lifestyle is what it's all about. If you're not into spending long hours outdoors, no matter what the weather, working hard for little pay, and having to make your own way to survive, you won't like Wyoming. If you don't mind the things mentioned above, and the idea of living in a community of like minded individuals appeals to you, then you will probably like it. From what I've seen, people will bend over backwards for others, and help each other out in times of need. They are not into material possessions, or keeping up with the Joneses. They are also not interested in changing things around them, because they are content with the way things are. They don't want folks to come in and start telling them how to do things differently. They just want a simple, honest, and rewarding life consisting of hard work, good friends, caring neighbors, and down-to-earth values.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 PM

138 posts, read 468,922 times
I am just thinking that you mentioned you are moving due to your husband's health. As someone else mentioned, Billings is a long drive- if you need health care immediately that could be a problem. As an RN, and living in the area, I can tell you the healthcare in the area you are looking at is not good.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:38 PM

777 posts, read 3,199,824 times
I would like to move to Wyoming, to get out of the hot weather of Southern Kookyfornia, to get away from the crowds. To have some land for my wifes horses, and for me to have a workshop. For scenery, and to actually be able to see stars at night. To be around like minded folks, that help each other out, and don't judge you on the possesions you have (or don't have in my case).
And lastly, because judging from this board, folks in WY don't seem to have as much of a problem with California folks as other states do.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:38 AM

136 posts, read 621,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhou812 View Post
Taxes ? sales tax ? Dose Montana not have sales tax ?
yeppers, they have no sales tax. People in N. Wy travel to Billings to shop.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:37 PM
uwi

3 posts, read 12,318 times
Default Too bad Wyoming's so poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
If you're not into spending long hours outdoors, no matter what the weather, working hard for little pay, and having to make your own way to survive, you won't like Wyoming.
Thats right, anyone contemplating moving to Wyoming. Its a terribly poor state, so of course you don't want to move there. Sure it has one of the nation's lowest unemployment rates and is near the top by percentage of new job growth. Finding gainful employment there is like trying to buy oceanfront property. Impossible. Yes, it does have the nation's 14th highest per capita income, but don't believe it, because everyone in Wyoming is broke. What with the cost of living there being what it is, the 23rd highest in the country. Besides, its only a handful of rich businessmen who have all the money in Wyoming. Just because Wyoming ranks first in the nation in income equality (it has the narrowest gap between rich and poor), you move there, it will be like being a taco vendor on the streets of Guadalajara.

OK folks, if I move to Wyoming, I PROMISE I will tell all my friends and relatives back home in Pennsylvania that I actually moved to Las Vegas. And that its great here in Sin City, unlike that poor, hapless place called Wyoming I passed through on my way here.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:46 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,256,241 times
Default Wy employment

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwi View Post
Thats right, anyone contemplating moving to Wyoming. Its a terribly poor state, so of course you don't want to move there. Sure it has one of the nation's lowest unemployment rates and is near the top by percentage of new job growth. Finding gainful employment there is like trying to buy oceanfront property. Impossible. Yes, it does have the nation's 14th highest per capita income, but don't believe it, because everyone in Wyoming is broke. What with the cost of living there being what it is, the 23rd highest in the country. Besides, its only a handful of rich businessmen who have all the money in Wyoming. Just because Wyoming ranks first in the nation in income equality (it has the narrowest gap between rich and poor), you move there, it will be like being a taco vendor on the streets of Guadalajara.

OK folks, if I move to Wyoming, I PROMISE I will tell all my friends and relatives back home in Pennsylvania that I actually moved to Las Vegas. And that its great here in Sin City, unlike that poor, hapless place called Wyoming I passed through on my way here.
I'm not sure what you mean that there is no gainful employment and everyone is broke. The cost of living in some areas of the state are higher than others but there are still places in Wy that are affordable. As far as gainful employment goes - there are jobs all over the state. True - some are not offering the wages that others are but there are jobs out there. My high school age son has a parttime job paying $12/hr. I make good money as does my husband. We live in a small town in SE WY. There are jobs here and the cost of housing is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming