Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM

47 posts, read 247,426 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious--I certainly don't mean it as a "why on Earth" kind of question.

And, if you care to follow up: are you (relatively) happy there?

The more I read about the state, the more intrigued I am by it...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 04:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,281,382 times
I was born and raised in the midwest (Kansas and Iowa), then stationed in Alaska while in the USAF. While in Alaska I grew to love the mountains and clear mountain streams, so I considered a job in Wyoming before leaving Alaska but didn't like the looks of Gillette, where the job was.

Six months later, after moving back to Iowa, settling in with a decent job, and doing a little fishing, I was again offered the job in Gillette -- this time at about double the income I was making.

It didn't take me long to accept the offer the second time. I liked the money and sorely missed the clear mountain streams. (Fishing in muddy water just didn't work for me anymore.) We figured we could tough out Gillette for 4-5 years and save enough money for a down payment on a nice little business elsewhere.

That was 37.5 years ago. I'm still in Gillette. The town has improved greatly since then. (Too bad I haven't!) I left the job that got me here 10 years after the move and wanted to buy a great business in Pagosa Springs, CO (had financing and the deal worked out), but my wife and kids didn't want to leave Gillette.

I'm still ready to move, but we're not sure where we'd rather be. We'll probably hitch up the camper and hit the road one of these days, in search of greener pastures.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM

330 posts, read 1,097,923 times
I originally moved to Wyoming in the early 80's because I had to (I was a minor then, and parents always make you do stuff you don't want to). I hated it initially, but I had moved to a small town (Dubois) and it's hard to fit in as a kid in a small town when you came from a much larger area.

As an adult, I've lived in several areas of the state (Lander, Riverton, Shoshoni, Guernsey, etc) but have settled in Casper (an area I always thought was made up of jerks when I was a kid). We've moved out of state once (to Oregon), but moved back here (the cost of living was comparable...but the people weren't).

If it weren't for the wind, Casper would be perfect. Ideally, I'd love to live back in Fremont County (Lander or Dubois), but I don't think it would work for my family at this point in our lives. I do miss living in Wisconsin and in some respects, Oregon, as well. It's nice to live in a state where they don't tax the bejeezus out of you, where people are friendly but stay out of your business, and you can drive to work without ungodly traffic (though Casper seems to be getting worse every day). Overall, the people in Wyoming are probably some of the best people on Earth.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,801 posts, read 58,331,069 times
tho I'm not back yet... still in PNW 27 yrs later... but must leave soon. My WA Property taxes = $33/day, just for a house and 6 acres of steep forest.

WY makes my short list due to;
1) the people
2) scenery / recreation / variety of terrain
3) tax situation + less 'petty rules'
4) a mountain state (nice transition from coast / prairie... my other spots)
5) not crowded, and not likely to get too crowded.
6) political persuasion.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 AM

56 posts, read 158,079 times
1. Moved here because:
Listened too much to the Dixie Chicks and watched a River Runs Through It too many times.
Thought ALL of Wyoming was just like Bozeman, MT or Jackson Hole, ie. diverse, pretty liberal, outdoorsy, basically I thought I was getting a Patagonia ad and everyone lived on a ranch and flyfished while also eating organic food.
Mistook the difference between "kitsch" and "tacky"
Thought of course it must be cheaper here! It's the country right?
Well yes, it's beautiful.
Again, thought Wyoming was just like Colorado right?

2. Yes, would like to move. Too cold and windy, not a fan of overpriced everything, not crazy about small town mind set. However, there is something to be said for "easy living."

But. that said.. Wyoming is NOT Jackson Hole.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:41 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,064,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
Thank goodness it isn't

Old 12-02-2008, 02:53 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,251,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
Thank goodness it isn't
If it were Jackson Hole then it wouldn't be Wyoming.

Jackson Hole is the worst of Aspen and Rodeo Drive combined. Pity it wasn't left alone. Jackson is a beautiful place but it reminds me too much of Disneyworld.
Sadly, I was talking to a 50 something year old man who worked in Jackson. This was about 4 years ago. He grew up in Jackson but now had to commute about 40 miles to work there because the town he grew up in is now unaffordable to him.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,789,277 times
Jackson Hole is just like saying LA - an area not a town. Rodeo Drive is a street. Jackson is part of Wyoming. I enjoy visiting there and going to the Million Dollar Bar to have a cocktail while sitting on a saddle! I love hiking the trails around there. I noticed the property prices have dropped a lot. In fact, you could buy a nice house in the $350 thousand range. That isn't cheap but affordable if you wanted to live there. A fifty something year old should have bought property thirty years ago. If ya want real cheap, there is an empty town off I-80 past Wamsutter. No low life wealthy people living there! You would love Wamsutter & Hanna as an opposite to the places you don't like.

Why did I choose Wyoming? My husbands drilling company sent him here around eight years ago. For awhile he made the drive (he hates to fly) to either California or Arkansas where ever I would be at the time of his days off. He rented a place here with some other guys because sometimes the weather was bad or he wanted to go fishing, hunting, or play in the snow. I called Wyoming "guy world" because of the number of men that came here to work and play. When the landlord wanted to sell the house they were renting my husband bought it. He really likes Wyoming for the outdoor activities and the no state tax. He loves his job and his company has a lot of work in Wyoming. He could get transferred anywhere but he wants to be here.

I am self employed and have stayed contracted at least two years ahead for a long time. It has been hard for us to have together time. His job is set - two weeks on - two weeks off. So a couple of years ago I started turning down any contracts that would keep me from spending some time in Wyoming. I like to fly so I have been able to keep up my consultant work. It is hard to have three homes so I have agreed to "do something" with the Arkansas place and move my studio to Wyoming next Spring. I have never lived in the snow - can't keep up with the guys playing in the snow - they like their guy time - I would rather be at the beach during the winter.

Wyoming has so many interesting areas and so much history. It really is a state that has something for everyone.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 AM

357 posts, read 1,617,522 times
Default It has what we wanted - and lacks what we didn't want

a) not a lot of people. Big cities are foul places to live.
b) no income tax, relatively low ad valorem taxation.
c) a culture of "butt out of other folks' business..."
d) excellent hunting and fishing
e) it is quiet, except near coal trail crossings.

I'd say the biggest draws for us are the hunting/fishing (me), sense of community and the people in WY (which my wife likes) and the fact that the state has a pretty low number of (*&*&^^ do-gooders, ie, the people who come out of some university back east and then decide that they have to work for "social justice" in your local community. I've seen one place after another in the US ruined by these professional pecksniffs and busybodies, peddling their unctuous twaddle.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:24 PM

269 posts, read 830,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
1. Moved here because:
Listened too much to the Dixie Chicks and watched a River Runs Through It too many times.
Thought ALL of Wyoming was just like Bozeman, MT or Jackson Hole, ie. diverse, pretty liberal, outdoorsy, basically I thought I was getting a Patagonia ad and everyone lived on a ranch and flyfished while also eating organic food.
Mistook the difference between "kitsch" and "tacky"
Thought of course it must be cheaper here! It's the country right?
Well yes, it's beautiful.
Again, thought Wyoming was just like Colorado right?

2. Yes, would like to move. Too cold and windy, not a fan of overpriced everything, not crazy about small town mind set. However, there is something to be said for "easy living."

not even close thank the good lord for that-don"t take us wrong -the hole is a beautiful place with great people-artistic and cool-just a little pricey for a average income God made it beautifull for all to enjoy-and we do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming