Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:03 PM

12 posts, read 44,921 times

Advertisements

We are considering relocating to Cody or Lander. Curious what people think about both towns. How do you compare the two?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 06:38 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
IMO, there's no comparison.

Cody is primarily a tourism based economy, with a sizable area around it of "gentleman's ranches"; ie, largely held by ultrawealthy folks for their private enjoyment and valued at far more than the productive value of the land, used for private hunting, fishing, recreation. As a city, it's the Eastern gateway to Yellowstone NP and all the recreational lands to the West of the city. Expensive to buy in here, although not off the chart like Jackson ....

Lander is in an area of mining and productive ranching. It, too, is scenic and has a lot of local recreation (and a small amount of tourist oriented businesses), but it's price points are lower and you can actually find work which will allow you to pay for a house and your costs of living. The town is smaller than Cody, and you'll be driving a lot further around the area for your shopping, restaurants, and other activities ... through the corridor of Lander to Riverton. IMO, it's a nice place, and affordable.

Climate is about the same in both places, although my impression has been that the Cody area gets more snowfall and the roads are shut down more frequently than in the Lander area. Water quality and availability issues are a big deal in both areas. I've trail ridden both, and it's more "rocky" ground by Cody.

More importantly, for a basis of comparison ... is what are the important features/characteristics to you?

Old 01-31-2009, 07:50 AM

How would you compare the schools. And which town would have more things to do for our kids.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:01 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
FWIW, there's next to no mining going on around Lander anymore. The mine that was here in the late 60's and 70's, closed down in '83. I remember Lander being nearly a ghost town back then (not Jeffrey City bad, but still).

codybound, you need to be more specific on "things to do". For 7th~12th grade kids (in Lander at least), there are a plethora of sports opportunities through the school year as well as a marching band. There are not malls, or big movie theaters, no community center (though the public libraries have teen centers with gaming, movie nights, etc...) or YMCA type place. Winters will normally keep you inside except for planned trips to go skiing/snowshoing. Sledding gets old after awhile... I remember reading, a lot, all winter. Summers are still finding your own thing to do, I played Golf mostly from about age 12 on through the end of high school and was able to kill off 6~8 hours a day doing that (and I played every day). Near the end of high school I got into mountain biking and spent a lot of time on 2 wheels up in the surrounding mountains. My winter sports were competition shooting (think Olympics) and later I was also on the Cross Country skiing team. So 3 of the 4 things I did frequently while growing up were outside activities where I could do them myself. I don't remember much abot being a younger kid, but I imagine location doesn't matter to them... it's just "play" outside anyway.

I want to make sure that something sunspirit said isn't misunderstood... we have restraunts here and in Riverton (26 miles away), just not a lot of chains. Good selection of choices though. People who live here don't go out to eat a lot (or, I should say that we never did when growing up and I don't know anyone who does now that I've moved back). Same deal with shopping, the only "chains" you'll recognize are Walmart, Kmart, Radio Shack, Sears (though they deal mostly in appliances, it's a small building) and a JC Penneys catalog counter. Everything else is Locally owned and operated, but you can buy everything you need to live right here in Lander ~ there's no need to leave the town.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:05 AM

788 posts, read 1,741,322 times
Cody has much more for kids to do and they have that nice big new rec center. Lander has nothing like that.

As a kid I lived in both places....cody had alot more to do thru the parks and rec dept than Lander - whose activities are primarily thru the school district.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
What ages are your kids? My daughter attended North elementary in Lander and I felt it was a good place with excellent teachers.

also, while there isn't a community center, per se, in Lander, there is a community swimming pool which offers swimming lessons and open swim times for adult and children, iirc. And the city park is lovely.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM

Our kids are 16,13,and 6.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:31 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,219,430 times
Another thing Cody offers is hockey. So if any of your kids are into that, it's there. They have a great arena and also have a Junior B hockey team for family entertainment.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:12 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,323 times
your best bet would be to visit both places for several days and see which one "feels" right for you and your family My cousin graduated from Lander Valley HS and really enjoyed it there.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info. We have been to Cody. Going to Lander sometime this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming