Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:12 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times

Advertisements

For your Lander visit, I can't recommend a hotel (eh, funny how that works when you live here) but the Best Western owned by Cale Case (state senator) is the newest. My opinion is that CowFish is the best eatery in town, but it's certainly the most expensive. Past that, I'll vouch for Asian Cuisine (N 7th, next to a bar.. outside looks seedy, but it's nice ~ asian foods like curry), Tonys Pizza (Main, pizza), The Summit (breakfast and lunch, traditional american, inside the Best Western), Breadboard (sub shop that blows away Subway, west end of town, over by the High School), and Wildflour Bakery (bagels, lunch sandwiches and soups ~ 5th and main). If my wife and I are going out for a meal in Lander, it's at one of those places.

Hudson (9 miles NE of Lander) has 2 locally famous steak places... my family favors Svilars (both on the main pass-though, right across the street from one another... again, don't judge on the looks.) I go there for Prime Rib.

There's only one place in Riverton we ever eat, and that's "The Depot" which is mexican (the mexican place in Lander has unremarkable food and bad service).

Not much happens in Lander in February... Hope you don't judge the town against Cody in the summer. It's too bad you'll be about a month early for Landers newest community project opening (heh, just a plug for my employer) as the new $5.9mil library project will open its doors on March 16th.

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 12:51 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,284 times
Water issues? Does every home in both towns have water issues? Is there such thing as city water there in both towns? I'm from the Midwest and on city water. Forgive me for my asking but I'm curious as to what the issues are.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
Water issues? Does every home in both towns have water issues? Is there such thing as city water there in both towns? I'm from the Midwest and on city water. Forgive me for my asking but I'm curious as to what the issues are.
Outside of city limits, you're looking at very expensive, and DEEP wells to find usable water. Most just install a cistern (holding tank basically) and truck in the water. We've also been in a drought for 13 years now, so availability gets a little short sometimes (I've never witnessed an actual shortage where we were impacted in a major way... just lawns/landscaping and washing cars going by the wayside). Past that, water is fine and available within the city limits just like everywhere else, nothing different than what you are accustom to.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:56 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Water is a major concern for much of the western U.S. Gillette is currently looking for funding of a $226 million water project for its expected growth. It would consist of a Madison Foundation well field and 60-70 miles of pipeline to the Devil's Tower region. I believe it was 1979 that Gillette voters okayed a $20 million project for the same thing. (That's inflation!) The new pipeline would parallel the old one to the same general area.

Gillette also gets water from a number of shallower wells around the city. That water is usually softer than Madison Foundation water, which is very hard, but it often has taste/smell issues.

I mention Gillette only because it has the same water problems that most towns and cities in the west face.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:22 AM

33 posts, read 148,573 times
I'd have to say Cody but i'm bias since we live here, but not to put down Lander since I like it and it does remind me of Cody. Housing might be more in Cody compared to smaller towns in Wyoming, but are no where as expensive as many other places around the country. Cody offers great schools, very good health care facilities, plenty of eating choices, a very nice movie theatre, a great rec center, & library, and a good shopping selection. Oh and a great museum. If you can't find it here you can aways go up to Billings and get what you need. I have to agree with others thou, spend time in both and see which one is for you. I like both towns, and the great thing about living here is going on road trips and enjoying what other towns have to offer.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM

138 posts, read 451,504 times
CODY! Because I live just a few miles away, I guess I opt for Cody. There aren't all extremely wealthy people in the Park County area- there are regular folk too. As far as things to do- well, as everyone has mentioned, there is a ton- and there is the 'outside world'- horseback riding, hiking, mountain climbing,skiing, snowmobiling, snowshoe hiking, hunting- and much more- there is no way a kid could be bored. There are good libraries if you don't have athletic kids. Dinosaur digs, paleontology. History abounds here.
Park County is safe- that says alot. I don't know about Lander, but I can't imagine it not being safe.
If you know what kind of housing you are looking for- and if you decide on cody area, I have a 4 bedroom, 20 acre horse property for sale..... I am ready to go back to a warmer climate!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:15 PM

70 posts, read 267,498 times
We moved to Cody about 6 months ago. Beautiful town. It's going through a transition right now. The small businesses (mom and pop) are moving out and the franchise/corporate boxes are moving in. I have been trying to locate a small retail shop to start a business for past 3 months. There is nothing unless you want to dish out big $ for the new west side strip mall shops that are owned by out of state companies. My wife is not looking forward to moving again. But, if I can't start a retail business here...

...I can sum it up in one word. Codyfornia

Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,478 times
Default codyfornia

no no Johnny, Codyfornia is not the answer! I live here and headed to Cody soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
We moved to Cody about 6 months ago. Beautiful town. It's going through a transition right now. The small businesses (mom and pop) are moving out and the franchise/corporate boxes are moving in. I have been trying to locate a small retail shop to start a business for past 3 months. There is nothing unless you want to dish out big $ for the new west side strip mall shops that are owned by out of state companies. My wife is not looking forward to moving again. But, if I can't start a retail business here...

...I can sum it up in one word. Codyfornia

Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM

70 posts, read 267,498 times
Claim Jumper, I am just as disappointed as everyone else. I wish someone would have posted the facts before I wasted my time and $ moving here. It seems every small town we visit is being corpritized. <--I made that word up.

What a waste of a beautiful place. But you never know a town 'til you live there.

Oh did I mention there are over 45 Realtor's here. The greed is growing like fungus. No matter how hard we try we just can't run away from it. I think it's become a national sickness.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
I wish someone would have posted the facts before I wasted my time and $ moving here. It seems every small town we visit is being corpritized. <--I made that word up.
So, what Facts did you want posted? I have a certain image of Cody (and I wouldn't want to live there because of that mental image).

Since I was raised in Lander and live here currently, What have you encountered that you don't like there and I'll let you know if it's the same, better or worse here. It'll help Other people who read this thread (right now and in future searches).

Brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming