Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:38 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,172,847 times

Advertisements

Since I didn't mean to hijack PsykoKustomz' thread on relocating, I thought I would start a different thread for us teachers in Wyoming, considering Wyoming, or what have you to post questions, or discuss pros and cons here.

I've been looking over the Wyoming constitution test requirements and would love to hear from someone who took it from out of state. Does it affect your hiring process if you haven't taken it prior to interviewing/applying? I'm debating on whether I should try to find a proxy and take it in the coming months or wait until I at least have an interview or two in Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:50 AM

37 posts, read 120,865 times
Hi, I'd be curious also....I have GA certification and want to tteach in WY next year (music/strings).
I am also wondering if anyone knows of any job fairs co ming up!
Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:02 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
Thank goodness I didn't have to take the test when I moved here. I went to college my first 2 years in Wyo so already had taken the course that covers it. As for the job fairs, they usually don't pop up until late winter/early spring. I will keep my ear open for you & let you know if I hear of anything!

I didn't see this post before I hijacked the other post!!!! Sorry about that. You might want to look back at that about my experience teaching here in Gillette.

G

Old 12-20-2008, 01:26 AM

How is the transition to your new school going Georgia? I see that the high school in Gillette is hiring for an English position now as well. When the district interviewed you, did you have to make more than one trip there and were there a lot of applicants for your position? Sorry for the "newbie" questions...the "hiring" process is still a bit grey to me, as our university hasn't really explained much other than "you'll likely be interviewed by a panel." Thanks in advance!

Old 12-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
How is the transition to your new school going Georgia? I see that the high school in Gillette is hiring for an English position now as well. When the district interviewed you, did you have to make more than one trip there and were there a lot of applicants for your position? Sorry for the "newbie" questions...the "hiring" process is still a bit grey to me, as our university hasn't really explained much other than "you'll likely be interviewed by a panel." Thanks in advance!
Thanks for asking, Froggie! The transition here has been wonderful. Everyone I work with has been so kind and so helpful. Being I actually work in 5 different schools (2 most of the time, the other 3 rarely) I've had to get to know a lot of different people. I've found subtle differences at the various schools but overall the folks are very welcoming to "newbies" and I felt right at home right off the bat. The district pays very well and is very progressive in providing the best resources for teachers and students. The Planetarium and Adventurariam are outstanding, as it the aquatic center.

I only made one trip to interview for my position. Being it was kind of a specialized position there weren't as many applicants as there are for classroom teaching openings. There was a panel of 4 who interviewed me. I interviewed on a Tuesday and was offered the position that Friday. I do know that if this year was any indication of how things are done the district waits til the very end of the school year to do a lot of their hiring. I know three other teachers from the area I came from who were also hired here. They only came for one interview and were also hired quite quickly. A couple of people interviewed each of them. As I said in my other post, I imagine there will be a number of openings again for next year as the district is really growing. Personally, I feel that if the applicant is willing to be placed wherever needed, are open and positive about the progressiveness and growth of the district, and are generally excited about the town of Gillette itself it really helps. Some people have negative attitudes about Gillette due to it's past reputation of being a "dirty, icky, coal/oil town". This town has really changed over the years. The city has done so much to add beauty to the town, lots of parks, things for kids to do, and make it a very family friendly, homey town. We love it here and recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind the nearest "city" being a couple of hours away. Gillette does have everything one needs immediately, like WalMart, Kmart, several groceries, Walgreen's, all the fast food joints, movie theaters, etc., as well as a variety of arts type places and the Camplex, which is the big complex where lots of things take place (concerts, conventions, craft shows, etc.). I can't think of anything negative to say about the district or the town itself yet!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:12 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
Very nice to read your glowing assessment of Gillette and CCSD, Georgia. I know the school district has made great strides in recent years, at least with teacher pay. Ten years ago teacher salaries in Wyoming were something like 45th in the the nation.

When my wife moved here from Oregon a decade ago, she was shocked at the low wages paid for teacher aids (half what she earned in Oregon). She'd worked as a TA in Oregon for 13 years and was very disappointed in what she found here -- old classroom books that were falling apart, students that were far behind those in Oregon, and low morale.

She worked mainly with special needs kids in Oregon and here, and when one of them transferred to another school she was laid off. She started working as a cook and has continued with that since. I wish she'd get back to teaching, as she really enjoyed working with the kids, but she says she can't afford the cut in pay. Sad, if true, that you make more money flipping burgers than teaching our kids. (She doesn't have a degree so can't get a job as a certified teacher.)

In no way am I slamming CCSD; I'm just glad that it's apparently improved so much over the past decade. I agree with you wholeheartedly about Gillette. I moved here in 1971 thinking we could "put up with it" for five years. Before long there wasn't anyplace I'd have rather lived. And that's still true. I think it's a great community.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:10 PM

788 posts, read 1,740,665 times
I am in Lander. This morning at church i met a lady who is a teacher here and assists in hiring for the elementary schools. I asked her how difficult it is to get a teaching job here and she said that there has been ' a fair amt of turnover' recently (in the elementary schools) but that for each opening there were several applicants. She said that she knows of several teachers that will be retiring in the next couple years, and that the biggest need (in this area) is for special ed teachers and speech therapists. As for h.s., she said that they did have more difficulty recently filling a math and english teachers position, but didn't really elaborate.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM

Thanks for the information Rya! I know my aunt in Lander also keeps an eye open for me in the area. Guess it's in God's hands but I'm still hopeful!

Thanks for the update Georgia! Glad you and your family are making the transition well and love where you are. That is really important. I cried when I had to move back to Minnesota from Wyoming. I've never been to Gillette...are there mountains there? When you say mining community I picture the open pit mines in Minnesota, which do leave a big "dent" in the landscape. It's nice that while Wyoming is the least populated of the lower 48, the schools are not the least funded.

Is there a lot of opportunity for professional development through the schools? Does anyone know if the schools in Fremont county offer mentoring for new teachers? Sorry for all the questions. Also, are "smart boards" used in schools there? Just wondering, as I will be learning how to use one in the near future.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:03 PM

47 posts, read 176,245 times
My wife will be looking for the same info as well I imagine. She has B.S. in Psychology and is going to try and get back to school for her Masters in Ed.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
Thanks for the information Rya! I know my aunt in Lander also keeps an eye open for me in the area. Guess it's in God's hands but I'm still hopeful!

Thanks for the update Georgia! Glad you and your family are making the transition well and love where you are. That is really important. I cried when I had to move back to Minnesota from Wyoming. I've never been to Gillette...are there mountains there? When you say mining community I picture the open pit mines in Minnesota, which do leave a big "dent" in the landscape. It's nice that while Wyoming is the least populated of the lower 48, the schools are not the least funded.

Is there a lot of opportunity for professional development through the schools? Does anyone know if the schools in Fremont county offer mentoring for new teachers? Sorry for all the questions. Also, are "smart boards" used in schools there? Just wondering, as I will be learning how to use one in the near future.
I can't really answer your questions about Fremont County's schools, but I can answer some of your questions. As for Gillette & mountains, you can see the Big Horns from here on a nice clear day. It is about an hour & half/2 hr. drive to actually be in the Big Horns. To the east are the Black Hills, which are kind of like mountains. They are also about the same distance. Gillette is in between the two, so you can go either direction for some wonderful outdoor activity.

It is open pit mining around here, but you really don't see it unless you head out to the mines, which are mostly away from the towns.

As for Campbell County Schools there are terrific opps for teacher development. There are always workshops brought to town, many classes through colleges, etc. Also, the district pays for a lot of continuing ed. We do have mentors here for new teachers as well. The teachers new to the district get an entire week or new teacher orientation as well.

As far as I know Smart Boards or their equivalents are used almost everywhere. The school I was at before used Prolythean boards, which were great.

Any other questions I'll do my best to answer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming