Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:02 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,175,649 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the reply Georgia. I was looking at the State of Wyoming website and came across this http://www.k12.wy.us/TCD/Docs/qwest_techgrant.pdf (broken link) grant application for technology in schools. Anyone have any idea if it is often applied for/granted? I've still a lot to learn about the teaching profession, but probably will learn most when I get on the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 02:45 PM

Peaches, did you apply for the job in Riverton? Just wondering since I see it's still listed.

Old 01-01-2009, 06:03 PM

44 posts, read 120,353 times
No Froggie...I did not apply for the position. We are not prepared to move at this very moment....
I would possibly be ready by this Fall.... We have my Father inlaw's estate to settle and also have our home to put up for sale. The economy is really rotten in Georgia...and I'm not sure how hard it will be to sell our properties. We would ultimately like to purchase a home outright and not have a mortgage as we will make our last house payment next month.....I would LOVE to not have a mortgage. My husband has been out of work since last May (The plant that he worked at for 30 years closed) and I have been out of work and in college getting my teacher's certification since May of 2006. I have just finished my education program and have finally received my Georgia teacher's certification!! But...I have not been able to locate a permanent job yet.... It's hard in the middle of the year. I am working as a long term substitute, but really need insurance.

We love Wyoming and have been dreaming of moving for many years, it seems that everything is pointing us in that direction. We are regular country people and feel that we would fit in well there.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 PM

Well I'll keep you in my prayers that an opportunity or opportunities fall into place for you! I know how frustrating it is living on little to no income while a spouse attends school. My husband's self employed so it has meant some lean times living on student loans but God willing we'll make it through. Just hope that if I do land a job in Wyoming we'd have enough money to move out there. Otherwise he and the cat might have to wait a bit!

And who knows..that job might still be waiting for you when you are ready. Best of luck!
Froggie

Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 PM

44 posts, read 120,353 times
Thanks Froggie....It has been a little hard....but we are doing okay. We are pretty frugal people... we don't really blow a lot of money on shopping, entertainment and expensive toys....but we have everything we need and are able to get most things we want. Believe it or not, we have not struggled as much (with both of us out of work) than many of the families who still have their jobs! God has been good to us!

Old 01-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Just wondering.. is there a teachers union of Wyoming or does each school district decide this individually?

Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 PM

632 posts, read 1,518,634 times
There is a teacher's union called the Wyoming Education Association, although each school district decides individually to belong. For example, there is an Albany County Education Association and a Goshen County Education Association that are a part of WEA. Keep in mind in Wyoming, the school "management" is under no legal obligation to bargain with the teacher's union - but they usually do because it's in their best interest. Hope this helps.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:03 PM

I guess I'm not really familiar with the "union" aspect of teaching yet as it was never addressed in any of my Education classes at all. I'm just wondering if there is a liberal bias/slant in the WEA as there seems to be in the National Education Association. I'm a minority as a conservative-soon-to-be-teacher it seems and I don't want to be pressured into compromising my beliefs in any way.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM

632 posts, read 1,518,634 times
I don't think you'll have to compromise your beliefs, but then again what you choose to believe is just that - a personal choice. Keep in mind much of Wyoming is conservative and at least in my district, the union is a nice mixture since it is traditionally liberal and there are plenty conservatives to balance it out.

But like any other organization, there may be times when the position taken by the organization may differ from your personal views. Kind of like a political affiliation, religion, - gosh, my extended family is often like that.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyolady View Post
I don't think you'll have to compromise your beliefs, but then again what you choose to believe is just that - a personal choice. Keep in mind much of Wyoming is conservative and at least in my district, the union is a nice mixture since it is traditionally liberal and there are plenty conservatives to balance it out.

But like any other organization, there may be times when the position taken by the organization may differ from your personal views. Kind of like a political affiliation, religion, - gosh, my extended family is often like that.
thanks... I know what you mean.. it's just after 3 years of constant Bush policy bashing in the university I'm attending (within the English and education classes) it gets tiring trying to point out positives. I need to learn to not take some things so personally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming