Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 AM

1,047 posts, read 2,787,234 times

Advertisements

Yesterday Gillette hosted and won the Wyoming 5A football championship

WOW Congratulations!!! What a fun time that must have been to watch that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 PM

15 posts, read 57,822 times
Default Gillette

Thank you for all the responses, I have read a lot and heard a lot about culture shock when people come to Wyoming from the east or central U.S. I am from Ohio where we have lots of trees and the weather is usually wet winters and humid summers. This is quite the opposite of Wyoming..no? However when it comes to opportunities, Wyoming, I hear is on the forefront. That is my interest, the rest I will just have to live with and learn to like it, I have a family. I have never been west of the Mississippi River and would like to see what's over in your neck of the woods! I am just trying to familiarize myself with the landscape/weather etc. I have done much research and think I am at the point of just seeing for myself.

Maybe this should be a new post, I'll just change the subject for a minute, pictures are still wanted.

Does anyone know if a hardworking family man with values is an asset to Wyoming? If so where? I have exhausted the internet with websites, applications, and sending resumes etc. I don't think many companies are ready to take the risk with out of state workers anymore in light of the past. Correct me if I'm wrong. Why would a company take that risk, mine wouldn't.

Advise,
Familyman94

Old 11-17-2008, 02:58 PM

Default wrong thread

AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!newby
My post was supposed to be on my original Gillette thread.....sorry

familyman94

Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyman94 View Post
AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!newby
My post was supposed to be on my original Gillette thread.....sorry

familyman94
Strange indeed - I didn't think I started a new thread! But oh well - it is a big deal for the football team to win the championship. Is Elkhunter messing with my posts again like in the good old days????

Good luck finding what you are looking for familyman.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Thank you, my brother in law is from Gillette and is in town...he was telling me about it.

Yes, I have just about picked his brain to bits about the jobs etc. in Wyoming
Fm94

Old 11-17-2008, 06:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,258,192 times
Clay Lady,
I know your post was in reply to mine in another topic, so I'll answer you here and just say, I missed the game completely. I'd intended to listen to it on the radio but forgot until it was over. *kicks self* Sounds like it was a great game, especially if you were rooting for Gillette.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:11 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,832,798 times
That's totally awesome....who did they beat? One thing about HS sports in Wyoming is they have to travel often times many more miles than schools in other states to play. I assume the high school has outgrown it's location at the top of Main St, only a block from my place on Kendrick.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:39 AM

1,872 posts, read 4,225,408 times
Gillette beat Green River, and yes, it was quite a drive from G.R. to here! The day was beautiful, though, you couldn't ask for a better day to play or watch a football game. You are right about the high school's growth. The main campus still houses the juniors & seniors, but all of the sophomores now attend "South Campus", the school out on the southern end of 4J. The sophs have quite the # of complaints as South is a closed campus so they have to stay there for lunch. I can understand the school's ruling, though, as they want to keep the younger students safe during a short lunch period (so they aren't in a hurry & get in accidents), keep them from being tardy to or completely skipping their afternoon classes, or from getting into some kind of trouble as they may try to rush up to the high school to be with friends. I understand the kids' views, too, though. Anyway, it's probably only a matter of time before Gillette has two separate high schools. The projected growth for the public schools here is 1700 more kids within 5 years. Another high school would help the crowding, but may hurt the sports programs for awhile.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 AM

That would be a long drive. The weather has been so beautiful it makes you want to get outside and run around!

Kids may not like a closed campus but it is the best choice - IMO - for all the reasons you stated.

1700 more kids in five years - that is a lot! Are class sizes limited to thirty students in Wyoming? My poor memory seems to think I read the average class size was 15. That figure may have been for Carbon County. Gillette would be a good place for teachers!

In Arkansas there has been a shortage of teachers. The smaller towns seem to keep teachers longer - over ten years - many twenty years plus. Some of the larger towns are having trouble even getting "warm bodies" in front of a classroom. Most of the teachers are less than five years teaching and working on getting into Administration.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,258,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
I assume the high school has outgrown it's location at the top of Main St, only a block from my place on Kendrick.
You've been gone a LONG time, eh? When were you last here?

If I remember correctly the high school moved from that location in 1971, the first year I was in Gillette. It might have been '72. That (top of Main/Gillette Ave.) is the current location of "Twin Spruce Junior High." The old high school building was remodeled and expanded for the junior high. And then a second junior high, Sage Valley, was built at (what you'd know as) the southwest edge of town. (Remember the old "Cut-Across Road" between 4J and Hwy. 59? The road was renamed Lakeway and expanded west across 4J, and Sage Valley was built on it, about a half mile west of 4J.

The "new" high school was built east of McCann Heights, about a half mile east of Hwy. 59, and then a few years ago the South Campus was built on south 4J Road, just across the street from where the new college campus was built and where a big new county recreation center is being built.

Gillette's changed so much in the last 40 years that it's hard to even describe locations. We now have 400 miles of road in the city -- twice what there was even 5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: