Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 57,775 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
This forum is excellent, all of the photos and excitement you have of your state is very welcoming. I recently looked into employment in Wyoming and was wondering of anyone has pictures of Gillette? I googled and didn't come up with what I was looking for, also checked the Gillette Chamber of Commerce and still not what I wanted. I am looking for pictures that make Gillette unique, landscape pictures, downtown, day/night pictures, neighborhood pictures etc. I looked at the Wyoming picture thread and I was a little bummed, there is only a few of Gillette Is Gillette boring? Just a town near the mines? Can anyone change my first impression?

Help,
familyman94
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 02:52 PM

330 posts, read 1,095,530 times
Gillette can be viewed by some as "ugly" and "dirty"...but as others have posted in other threads regarding it, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. it's no Jackson Hole as far as beauty....but you couldn't pay me enough to live in that area.

if you go to the google homepage and click on "images" and then search for gillette...there's a bunch of pix on there (that aren't professionally done)

Old 11-16-2008, 02:57 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,792 times
The commercial area of Gillette does not look nice. When you get away from the town, towards the residential areas and farther it has it's own beauty, but it is definitely not a beauty that most can appreciate.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
I really think a lot of the "ugly" and "dirty" comments about Gillette are about 40 years out of date. I first interviewed for a job in Gillette 38 years ago -- November 1970. The town wasn't wasn't much, and I turned down the offer, partly because of the town and partly because of the job. Six months later I was offered the job I wanted, and my wife and I decided we could "stand it" for five years. That would be enough time to save the money we needed to buy our own business (with lots of financing).

Many of the streets in town were still gravel, and others had recently been paved. It wasn't a pretty sight. But five years later it was much better, and I "owned" the business I wanted (with a couple partners). The town just kept getting better. I sold the business after 10 years with enough money to buy a similar one anywhere, but my wife and family didn't want to leave Gillette.

The town has really blossomed since then and boasts dozens of parks and hundreds of miles of nice paved walking paths. There are no mountains at the edge of town and no rivers, but I think it's a very nice town. Most buildings are fairly new and modern, including homes and businesses; established areas have plenty of trees; schools, including a new college campus, are modern and well-kept; the hospital is what you'd expect in a city 2-3 times the size of Gillette, and recreation opportunities abound.

Sports and recreation are huge in Gillette. Yesterday Gillette hosted and won the Wyoming 5A football championship. Gillette is a perennial powerhouse for most sports, often nationally ranked. As I recall, they're also current state champions for American Legion baseball, basketball, track, cross country, swimming, and wrestling. I'm sure I've forgotten a few. You can hold your head high when you stay, "I'm from Gillette."

There are few cities of 25,000 that offer more, anywhere, if you're considering the cities themselves and not the mountains or oceans that adjoin some cities.

Here's a site that will give you links to several photos of the city and area: http://imagesgillette.com/

And here's one if you'd like to browse the local newspaper's online edition: http://www.gillettenewsrecord.com/

Last edited by WyoNewk; 11-16-2008 at 08:20 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 11:13 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,387 times
Asking about Gillette's scenery and beauty reminds me of an old joke.

One of the best views in WY is Gillette in the rearview mirror. LOL!!!

Gillette in itself is not what I would call gorgeous country. But then again I live at the foot of the Big Horns and besides the areas around Jackson you can't get much more scenic and breathtaking. But as another poster stated, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like my mountains and trees, but some folks like rolling hills and wide open spaces.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,227,349 times
"Gillette in itself is not what I would call gorgeous country."

I don't argue that, if you're talking about the "country". It's rolling hills and grassland. Some like it, most don't. I'm with you in preferring mountains. But Buffalo isn't "in" the mountains; it's at the foot of the mountains. I was referring to Gillette itself, within the city limits. The city itself is rather impressive, especially compared to what it was in the past.

My late wife said she moved here after being told there was a handsome cowboy behind every tree, but she didn't realize until she got here that there were no trees.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 PM

1,047 posts, read 2,784,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My late wife said she moved here after being told there was a handsome cowboy behind every tree, but she didn't realize until she got here that there were no trees.
That is priceless!

Old 11-21-2008, 01:13 PM

17 posts, read 55,666 times
Another thing I like about Gillette is the CAM-PLEX. It's a great facility.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:25 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,218,384 times
If you've read some of my other posts about Gillette you will have read that as newcomers to the area we are very pleased. I was born & raised in the Big Horn Basin of Wyoming ("on the other side of the mountain"), so I'm a Wyo girl at heart. I lived in the Billings, MT area for the past 14 years. I didn't realize how much I missed Wyoming until I came back. It's hard to explain......it's just more like "home". For the things we like to do for entertainment, there is very little that Billings had that Gillette does not. But they aren't things that we really miss. Billings, Casper, and especially Rapid City are close enough to Gillette to run to to do things that aren't offered here. But for the most part, everything we want and need is here and we are not bored at all. I think Gillette is the type of place that people either love it or hate it. My opinion is that a positive attitude before coming here really helps. Those who have their minds set that they'll hate it here usually do. I love having the mountains and the Black Hills nearby, but I really do like living out on the prairie. Sometimes I wish I was born into Laura Ingalls' family back in the "Little House on the Prairie" days!

Old 03-27-2009, 09:32 PM

18 posts, read 94,098 times
Hopefully this will work:
gillette wyoming pictures - Google Image Search

Stacie
Moderator cut: advertising is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-15-2009 at 02:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming