Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 PM

Location: Lowell, Michigan...unemployment capital of the nation!
4 posts, read 11,280 times

Advertisements

Heading out to Gillette next week to take work moving dirt for Hettinger. Any info would be greatly appreciated...on anything from the weather, good restaurants, cheap lodging, laundromats, gyms...you name it. This is the single biggest "move" I will have ever taken upon myself to complete. I hope my family and I will be better, closer, and stronger if this works out.

Regards,

Red
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:18 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,221,023 times
I kind of hesitated before posting because the last time I said what I'm about to say the guy who posted the original post jumped all over me!!! So beforehand, I want to say I'm just trying to help! We moved to Gillette recently so I did a lot of research about the town before we decided to move here and have learned tons since we've been here. I posted lots of posts about Gillette here. If you go to the Search option and type in Gillette, Wyoming, or go to the pulldown menu below my name you can go to all my posts and read them. Many others have also posted about Gillette. I would be happy to answer any questions that haven't already been answered. I'm sorry, I just don't have time to type everything again. My job is becoming more demanding so the hours in the day are getting shorter & shorter for me!!!

One thing I can say is that I think your family will be happy here if you come with open minds and a positive attitude! The jobs & money are good, the people are wonderful, but the rent is pretty high. I wish you all the best, and again, I would be happy to answer any questions you have after you've checked out all the posts about Gillette. Although I'm also a "newbie" here, WELCOME!!!!

Last edited by georgiainwyo; 10-21-2008 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: typo!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,996 times
Hi to all. I have been reading some of the threads on Gillette. To be honest some of them sound scary. My ex husband is moving to Gillette and has asked our son, who currently resides with me to move with him. I will support his decision; however, I am concerned about my ability to continue visitation due to weather there both for my ex and myself depending on our son’s choice. I understand from reading the threads that Rapid City is the airport I would become familiar with. How often during the winter months is it impossible to get to the airport and fly out? What kinds of activities are there for a child age 14? We are very accustomed to warm weather here. In fact my son can wear shorts pretty much all year, so I am sure the change with be a shock. Any info would be greatly appreciated even if the information is not pleasant.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 10-22-2008, 08:31 PM

203 posts, read 713,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmom3 View Post
Hi to all. I have been reading some of the threads on Gillette. To be honest some of them sound scary. My ex husband is moving to Gillette and has asked our son, who currently resides with me to move with him. I will support his decision; however, I am concerned about my ability to continue visitation due to weather there both for my ex and myself depending on our son’s choice. I understand from reading the threads that Rapid City is the airport I would become familiar with. How often during the winter months is it impossible to get to the airport and fly out? What kinds of activities are there for a child age 14? We are very accustomed to warm weather here. In fact my son can wear shorts pretty much all year, so I am sure the change with be a shock. Any info would be greatly appreciated even if the information is not pleasant.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

When I went to Gillette to visit before we decided to move. I was told that kids there are very involved in sports. There is a skate park and indoor ice rink. The actual nearest airport is in Gillette. Delta and United and Great Lakes Air fly out of there. Being from San Diego I too was worried about the weather, but it will be nice to have seasons. i figured I can always fly to warm weather, but the economic outlook is better than CA. Maybe you should go there with your son and check it out and see if your son will like it.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:03 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmom3 View Post
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Well most of the time its no problem to get from gillette to rapid city.Ive been there many times in every month of the year.Of course there will be 'some' days where it isnt possible or advisable but most of the time its ok.My 87[at the time]year old grandmother flew out and spent the month of february with me one year then flew back out.My 80 something year old landlady used to drive a car from moorcroft to denver every couple of months.I'm not trying to say that the roads are never bad,sometimes they are,but some people act like the whole state basically shuts down from nov-may and thats hardly the case.In my experiance northern wyoming,in general,has easier to deal with winters than the southern part of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming