Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM

6 posts, read 14,065 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a traveling medical job and I've been offered a position in Casper that would probably be a 13 week assignment starting early Dec. I've read some posts about Casper but couldn't find the info I'm interested in. I'm relatively young still (38physically, 25 mentally) and would like to know what kind of night life Casper has. Also wanted to ask about snowboarding opportunities. I saw the one Mtn outside town. How is it? I'd really appreciate any replies from like minded people. I haven't agreed to the offer yet. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 07:29 AM

330 posts, read 1,101,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman1000 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a traveling medical job and I've been offered a position in Casper that would probably be a 13 week assignment starting early Dec. I've read some posts about Casper but couldn't find the info I'm interested in. I'm relatively young still (38physically, 25 mentally) and would like to know what kind of night life Casper has. Also wanted to ask about snowboarding opportunities. I saw the one Mtn outside town. How is it? I'd really appreciate any replies from like minded people. I haven't agreed to the offer yet. Thanks
working for WMC or MVM/Neurosurgical??? either way, doesn't matter! just curious. (I'm a nurse at WMC)

Night life.....ummm, other than the Beacon (country-western) or the Wonder Bar (a non-smoking bar/pub) or Sidelines (a lot of fights/arrests)...there's not much for a "single" guy! Obviously, we have a bunch of movie theatres, tons of museums (art, science, geological, veteran, etc), several great golf-courses (though they won't be open in mid-December!). Hogadon Ski area is the North side of Casper Mountain and has okay skiing (definitely not Jackson Hole!), but everyone has a lot of fun up there...adults and kids alike. There's a lot of gyms here too if you're into working out....

If you were more specific regarding what you may like to do...I can give you a better barometer (though it's been a few years since I've been in that lifestyle!)

Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 AM

Tekape, thank you so much for the reply. I would really like a good coffee shop, someplace that served good microbrews (beer), and somewhere to go snowboarding. I also like hiking and backpacking but I'm sure that wouldn't be an option in the winter. I'm not sure what hospital, my recruiter has only told me that it was a hospital in Casper and I have a phone interview today some time. I'm currently in a small town on the Oregon coast. Thank you again.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:35 PM

Coffee shops: The Metro Coffee Shop (downtown on David St) or, of course, Starbucks

Microbrews: The Wonder Bar (I'd have to check to see if anyone else does them as well....)

Snowboarding: Hogadon will fit the bill...but the occassional trip to Aspen or Jackson Hole is always warranted for the true enthusiast!

I'm guessing it's WMC (Wy Medical Center) as we're short staffed right now....

Where in Oregon are you? I worked for Salem Hospital while living in Dallas....we loved going to Lincoln City and down to Newport....our kids loved the Aquarium there....the entire coast is so awesome (over-populated, but awesome).

Old 11-06-2008, 05:21 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,171,881 times
Tekape..what of Old Chicago? I seemed to remember they were a microbrewery. Correct me if I am wrong

Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Thank you both for the replies. I'm currently working in Tillamook, OR and living in Netarts, OR. I walk across the street to the beach. Super small town though. Fun bar at the beach called Schooner. Newport and Lincoln city are both crowded but that's kind of the exception on the coast at least until you hit Astoria/seaside.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:47 AM

Oh thanks Highland Lady! I completely forgot (I don't spend much time on the East side of town....where everything seems to be building, building, building...new stores, new houses). You are correct though, Old Chicago is known for it as well as Sanfords (both downtown and Eastside). My hubby said that to some extent, all restaurants that serve alcohol serve micro-brews to some extent....but those three (Old Chicago, Wonder Bar, and Sanfords) probably have more than most.

MonkeyMan.....we took the kids to Astoria one day and wanted to take them to the cheese factory in Tillamook...but the workers were all on strike. So we did the scenic trip up to the northwest corner there. How gorgeous...and RUGGED!

Old 11-07-2008, 11:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was supposed to have a phone interview but no call so I guess they went with someone else. I couldn't start until Dec 10th so that might have killed it. Lost an opportunity in Couer D' Alene, Id as well b/c I couldn't start right away. So is the life of the traveler. Thank you for the info, it really, really helps to talk to someone who actually lives in the town you are considering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming