Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:55 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,231 times

Advertisements

I have a question concerning travel..

My husband got a job in Sheridan Wyoming, and we will be relocating.. We will be leaving from the Salem, OR area and driving to Sheridan the last few days of Jan and first few days of Feb.

We will be driving up to Spokane, Wa, going through Northern Idaho, through Coure D'alene (sorry about the spelling). Then down through Butte, Missoula, Billings and down to Sheridan..

Any advice or tips? What is the average temps during that time or weather?

I was hoping Feb. wasn't as bad as Dec, and Jan.

Thanks for your tips..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2006, 10:49 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,510 times
Default Feb. travel

The roads can be bad just about any time of year around here. Just keep an eye on the weather and the road report. Make sure that you have plenty of time and don't get in a hurry. If the road is bad - stop! It's not worth risking your life over. The WYDOT website is: www.wyoroad.info to check on the roads. This website also has links to the neighboring states so that you can check MT also. I have logged many miles on I-90 as my grandparents live in Coeur d'Alene and I live in southern WY. I-90 is usually pretty well maintained but the pass between Livingston and Bozeman can be pretty snowy so just be careful. Take your time and drive carefully. Good luck on your move. Sheridan is beautiful.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,133 times
Carry lots of water, and some food (jerky, MRE's), blankets, first aid kit etc.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:46 PM

Thank you for your replies..

I have been checking the webcams today.. and hopefully in the next few weeks things look better..

But I will definately stay prepared, and carry extra blankets and supplies..

Is there anything I need to do to my car? I know to use "winter" washier mix.. and to use 5w 30 weight oil. any other suggestions?

Thanks

Old 01-01-2007, 05:58 PM
MHT

Default winterizing your car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristynwy View Post
Thank you for your replies..

I have been checking the webcams today.. and hopefully in the next few weeks things look better..

But I will definately stay prepared, and carry extra blankets and supplies..

Is there anything I need to do to my car? I know to use "winter" washier mix.. and to use 5w 30 weight oil. any other suggestions?

Thanks
Make sure the antifreeze in your car is rated for at least -20.

Old 01-01-2007, 06:13 PM

138 posts, read 468,487 times
I don't know what kind of vehicle you have, but- invest in some snow chains- you only need them on the back tires( if your vehicle is rear-wheel drive)- they can make ALL the difference in getting over a pass, or even a road that is just packed with snow. Your tires should be snow tires, not just regular. Have your car checked out for bad belts, check your battery. Do you have a good spare tire, and do you have a jack? Do you know how to change a tire? These things might seem a bit extreme, but they can save your life- you may not have any problem coming over the mountain, or you might be stranded- just earlier this week my friends were stranded in Gallitan. How many people/kids/pets will you be traveling with? As the others have said- make certain you have at least one gallon of water per person, sleeping bags per person, extra clothes, some protien and high carb food per person- some dog/cat food if you need it, a cell phone(though it might not be able to pick up a signal)- any medications that you regularly take. Make sure you have winter boots- not just shoes. Have a way to start a fire and fuel to burn- have a bright tarp, windsock or other item to attract attention. Drive carefuly, and welcome!

Old 01-01-2007, 07:11 PM
MHT

Default winter travel

dc53 - Great post. Those of us from here usually have all those things in our vehicles already but I forgot that others might not. Before my sister and I could get our driver's license we had to be able to change a tire, put chains on and change the oil in our cars.

Old 01-01-2007, 08:14 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,050,843 times
Default Travel

Being from Salem, you are already winter literate. I say that in a good way. To me illiterate simply means uninformed. Not detrimental.

Just be smart on your travel.

If I was you, I'd plan on 200 miles per day and have a motel planned. I realize that 200 miles is not far, but in a snowstorm, 200 miles is an all day affair.

Chains? Not needed normally. The states are getting so jumpy about lawsuits that they'll shut the roads long before you ever have to chain up. But have planned places to stop ahead of time. Don't be bashful about stopping early if conditions are getting bad. I can't tell you the number of times that I've been snowbound and thought, "I'll just go one more town". When I got there, there were no motel rooms available. Stop early, swim in the indoor pool. Enjoy a good meal. Watch a little TV. And be thankful your not out on the road trying to make "One more town".

Old 01-02-2007, 01:37 AM

Thank you very much for all of the information, I am writing this all down for my checklist when we make the move..

I do have a good set of chains, I live in the foothills of the Cascades at the moment and we can get a bit of snow in the winter being at a higher elevation, not nearly like WY, but high enough here to get snow..

My car is a Honda 1994 Accord Lx, front wheel drive, which is a positive in the snow.

But I have heard that over there, there are things you just have to keep in your car regularly, I just wasn't familiar with them... So I really appreciate your responces, they are very helpful for me..

My husband has a jack and knows how to change a tire, he is the one mechanically minded. I know a little bit, but not as much as him.

I did have another question, my husband is driving the biggest size of uhaul and towing a truck behind it.. any advice for him? on the way over..

oh one more question, my dad the other day was telling me about a special "heater" type part that helps keep the engine warm. Does anyone know what I mean, sorry I forget the name of the part he was telling me about.. but I was curious what it was and if I need it?

Thanks again everyone for your responces

Old 01-02-2007, 10:28 AM

777 posts, read 3,197,133 times
The U haul will need to also have chains, as well as possibly the trailer. I had to put chains on my trailer when I went to Eugene OR, a year ago to pick up my Corvette. Only had to put them on the trailer axle that had brakes on it. You might see if Uhaul can provide these. Just let them know of the conditions you will be facing.
The part for the car your dad was referring to is a block heater. Maybe some of the locals could better answer that for you. I would think if you have an enclosed garage, you might not need one, but don't quote me on that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming