Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 09:34 AM

65 posts, read 79,653 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of your replies...and your patience. New issues with my other half’s health now negate a move. We will stay in New Mexico & I will keep the house in Maine. Thank you, again. Wyoming is a beautiful state...wind & weather included!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2019, 01:46 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,475,123 times
Sorry to hear that, young lady.... things change. Best of luck with the health situation!

Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 PM

Good evening. Since the previous posts, I ended up spending 2 months in the U.K. My other half just had a check up with our new doctor and he’s in good health. As a matter of fact...we both are doing pretty darn good. (The previous doctor appears to have left the state. I’ll withhold my opinion, for now. It’s not a good one. )

Back to our original dilemma. New Mexico, Maine, Wyoming. New Mexico is wearing very thin; on many levels. Maine may be put on the market. Distance is the caveat. Wyoming is what we have talked of, for many years. There were always circumstances preventing us from making the move...usually familial.

The previous posts of what we are looking for, still stand. We have been weeding things down and donating quite a lot. My husband, as mentioned, enjoys target shooting, with goals of 500-1000+ yards. He reloads. And, as also mentioned, previously, he is a HAM. (Thank you, nm9stheham, for your kind words in the last post.)

And our biggest concern is...are we too old to move to Wyoming? As mentioned, our check ups are good. I will be 64 this month, and my husband will be 70 in March. I’m pretty sure we’ve got enough “feisty” to go for quite awhile.

Although we like rural areas, age is a reality factor. Sheridan/Gillette/Cheyenne/etc... We must make this decision soon.

Again...thank you for understanding. Any updates would be appreciated. We’re going back up to Wyoming in early Spring.

Old 10-05-2019, 11:53 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzee8 View Post
Good evening. Since the previous posts, I ended up spending 2 months in the U.K. My other half just had a check up with our new doctor and he’s in good health. As a matter of fact...we both are doing pretty darn good. (The previous doctor appears to have left the state. I’ll withhold my opinion, for now. It’s not a good one. )

Back to our original dilemma. New Mexico, Maine, Wyoming. New Mexico is wearing very thin; on many levels. Maine may be put on the market. Distance is the caveat. Wyoming is what we have talked of, for many years. There were always circumstances preventing us from making the move...usually familial.

The previous posts of what we are looking for, still stand. We have been weeding things down and donating quite a lot. My husband, as mentioned, enjoys target shooting, with goals of 500-1000+ yards. He reloads. And, as also mentioned, previously, he is a HAM. (Thank you, nm9stheham, for your kind words in the last post.)

And our biggest concern is...are we too old to move to Wyoming? As mentioned, our check ups are good. I will be 64 this month, and my husband will be 70 in March. I’m pretty sure we’ve got enough “feisty” to go for quite awhile.

Although we like rural areas, age is a reality factor. Sheridan/Gillette/Cheyenne/etc... We must make this decision soon.

Again...thank you for understanding. Any updates would be appreciated. We’re going back up to Wyoming in early Spring.
AGE IS ONLY A NUMBER. It's how you feel both mentally and physically that counts. Any one of us could die today or tommorrow regardless of age or health. Go by how you feel and what will make you happy. You only get one chance in this life. The world as we know it can change over night just like your life can change in a blink.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:06 PM

As above... but, no one can really make that call for you. I recall meeting a 77 y.o. guys waaaay back in the 60's who was still a surveyor and hauling his gear up and down the east TN mountains. I am sure we all have such recollections.

Maybe think of it this way..... if NM is not a happy place anymore, and you can end up in Sheridan or Gillette (I would not think the Cheyenne region will stay very rural), and you have decent medical care there, then wouldn't you be happier in WY? I can't imagine wanting to stay where I was not happy (young or old), if I could make a change.

BTW, how do the 2 of you handle cold vs hot temps?

Old 10-06-2019, 04:24 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
Is your budget still 250k?

Old 10-07-2019, 12:21 AM

nowhereman427...thank you. That’s pretty much the baseline of how we feel right now.

nm9stheham...thank you, also. We’ve come back around to serious discussion on all aspects of a move to Wyoming. We had lived in Vegas for 17 years, and almost 17 in NM. We can handle hot weather, and have experienced 120F plus. We prefer cold weather. I’ve experienced many winters in Colorado, and have been in Maine when frostbite was a watchword. We both realize the first year will be an adjustment.

rya700...Yes, that is our max budget.

**We appreciate the positive feedback. Thank you!

Note: There is a possibility of family moving to Maine, so the place there will be with us for awhile longer.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:40 AM

OK, I asked about the weather to be sure you can handle the colder climate. Sounds like you can!

I might put Northern ID in a similar type of cold as interior Maine: occasionally a dampish cold. (But that's only if you're not talking about coastal Maine where it is going to be a lot damper.) The rest of WY will be drier. I think it has been said but realize that parts of WY is in a class by itself as far as wind.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
...I think it has been said but realize that parts of WY is in a class by itself as far as wind.
Oh yeah! It seems like Cheyenne and Laramie are always windy, as well as Casper and the southern tier of Wyoming. For that matter, Cody gets some pretty good winds too, and its elevation isn't that high. but it's at the mouth of valleys coming out of Yellowstone.

Look at the elevations of anywhere you're considering. Generally, the higher the elevation, the higher the wind speeds you'll encounter. Obviously there are localized exceptions, but it seems to hold true throughout most of Wyoming. The winds are generally lower throughout northern Wyoming, just as the elevation is lower. Some towns have enough protection from mountains that it helps, such as Lander, but it only helps at times, not always.

Old 10-08-2019, 08:06 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
Oh yeah! It seems like Cheyenne and Laramie are always windy, as well as Casper and the southern tier of Wyoming. For that matter, Cody gets some pretty good winds too, and its elevation isn't that high. but it's at the mouth of valleys coming out of Yellowstone.

Look at the elevations of anywhere you're considering. Generally, the higher the elevation, the higher the wind speeds you'll encounter. Obviously there are localized exceptions, but it seems to hold true throughout most of Wyoming. The winds are generally lower throughout northern Wyoming, just as the elevation is lower. Some towns have enough protection from mountains that it helps, such as Lander, but it only helps at times, not always.
I have heard of tornadoes in the Cheyenne area.
I would stay up near the Sheridan area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming