Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 02:05 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,487,350 times

Advertisements

New Zealand lamb … what a poor joke on lamb lovers. Most of the lamb produced there is from "dual purpose" sheep; ie, they produce wool and meat (without doing a great job on either). A big focal point of the industry a few years ago when "animal fats" were considered a health issue was to switch to leaner finished lambs (and mutton). The end result is … as Jody mentions … a "gamey" tasting lamb product. Even mutton consumers were eating less per capita when the taste appeal of the lean product diminished. (and mutton, IMO, is an "acquired taste" out of desperation to not waste any protein on the hoof …)

Locally, the majority of Colorado lamb is finished in feedlots on grain to "fatten 'em up" before slaughter at the big operation in Greeley. We see these big feedlots in Pine Bluffs WY and in areas around Greeley CO, they're definitely not "free range". They are confined feedlot operations. The old Monfort Greeley facility (now under new ownership) supplies a lot of restaurant trade lamb which I've found to not be anywhere near the quality/mild flavor of our regionally grass-fed and finished lamb.

The only way I know to get top quality/flavor free-ranged "natural" lamb is to buy directly from a producer (or raise it yourself, as we do). Either one who has lambs processed and custom cut/wrapped to your order, or one who will deliver your live lamb to a processor and the ownership changes hands on their doorstep. Or buy from the small producers selling at the sale barns in the area; again, this takes research on the buyer's part to know which producers follow the "natural" raising process to sale barn weights.

Left over's from a leg of lamb? Jody, you've got to be kidding. In our house, there are "no leftovers" from a leg of lamb … between us and our guests when we do a leg of lamb, it vaporizes very quickly (as it will tonight with a couple of holiday guests). If we want to do a "shepherd's pie", we must use the cubed lamb chunks from a lamb shoulder and trimmings for that purpose.

True story: we were invited to a "pot luck" party in Boulder CO by a well-meaning couple who wanted to introduce us to a new equine social set (I owned a 60-stall stable/indoor riding facility in the Cheyenne area at the time which focused on trail riding/natural horsemanship). The couple knew we were lamb producers and generally brought a whole bone-in roasted leg (or two) of lamb … and, for larger groups, a bunch of roasted chops. Simply seasoned with salt and pepper, no high 'falutin spices or marinades. So we get to the party, put our roasters out with the legs of lamb which I have carved on the spot, in the host's kitchen. While I'm carving the first leg, Mrs Sun is whispering to me that "maybe we should put this leg back in the roaster, back in the car" … because she's hearing all kinds of badmouthing about "carnivores" at the party.

Turns out that with the exception of the folk that invited us to the party, almost everyone there is an "in-your-face" professed vegetarian or vegan. And that's what the tables with the food were set out with, lots of dishes conforming with their dietary lifestyle. At that point, I'm thinking that the folk we knew who invited us were trying to play some kind of joke on us … or their friends. But I finished carving the 2nd leg of lamb and portioned out the chops so that folk could have a sampler of that lamb, too.

I then try to shrink into the woodwork, only to be cornered by a Boulder drugstore cowboy who's gonna' tell me all about how to raise/keep, ride, and how everything he knows about horsemanship and equine keeping is setting the trail riding world on fire down there in Boulder. I'm trying to duck this idiot who clearly hasn't put a saddle on a horse in his lifetime, and thinking that it's time for me and Mrs Sun to quietly head for the door with our roasters and left-overs to savor for another day.

Surprise! the roasters have almost been licked clean, there's not a sliver of lamb left in them. Yet the piles of vegan and vegetarian food are still heaped up on the platters. What a "bunch of phonies", says I to Mrs Sun as we make a dash to our car.

We were invited back a month later by the host of the party. He was raving about how "everybody really enjoyed the lamb that you brought last time!" So sorry, we have other obligations scheduled. He got the drift when we were "too busy" for each party over the next 6 months.

Last edited by sunsprit; 12-25-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 02:34 PM

10,455 posts, read 14,184,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
What about the Hitching Rack in Lander...they recently reopened under new ownership. Haven't tried it yet but hearing good things.
Lander has some good restaurants. I ate at one o tho k was called Cow Fish or something like that. It had an odd name I remember. Food was good.

Old 12-25-2018, 02:42 PM

3,651 posts, read 6,363,102 times
Growing up we have a big hay crew stacking loose meadow hay. After lunch the crew piled in back of the pickup . One of the crew said as dad drove thru our farm flock on the way to the meadow, said I never eat mutton... to which the guy next to him said you had it 3 days a week for the past month...A lot of that Lamb fed down your way is Mountain State Lamb Coop, we had B shares for 8 years and got a 8% dividend every year. they want us to roll it into A shares requires a lamb for each share with a minimum of 250 shares. Or C stock which they said ^5 for 6 to maybe 8 years then 10% to ten years... we cashed in our B stock . but I have ordered gift packs from them and have those that received them say they enjoyed the lamb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming