Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 06:02 AM

15,527 posts, read 9,225,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
That's a long ways out of the way if you're going to Rushmore isn't it?
It would add about 300 miles to the trip. Obviously I-80 would be more direct and a lot faster, but the OP did say they want to get the most out of the trip. Adding Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons I think would accomplish that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 02:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 6,325,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It would add about 300 miles to the trip. Obviously I-80 would be more direct and a lot faster, but the OP did say they want to get the most out of the trip. Adding Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons I think would accomplish that.
that true , just adding some ideas...Thermopolis is also good especially with there are kids....

Old 05-06-2018, 05:47 PM

12,141 posts, read 8,535,690 times
When you get to the Black Hills the Needles Highway and Iron Mt. Road are a must drive. To get that maximum beauty and clever construction it's important to drive the loop counter-clockwise starting at the turn off to Hill City north of Custer. Then it will take you straight to the carvings on Mt. Rushmore.

Don't be in a hurry as there is much to see and do for lovers of nature on this drive so I hope you plan a long day and take advantage of a little hike around Lake Sylvan and stops at scenic sights.

The whole family might enjoy some time in Keystone at the foot of Mt. Rushmore. They sell a variety of treats and souvenirs. Some is junk; some is nice. Go into Ruby's and look at the artifacts and old pictures, have an iced tea or cone on the porch. Or if you're ready to eat, the food is pretty good there by SD standards.

There's a really fun helicopter ride over the mountain if money is no concern. Another thing (that I have yet to do) is ride the narrow gauge railway train between Hill City and Keystone. It appears the scenery along the route is superb. Wild flowers!

Stop at Hot Springs and take the family for a dip in the spring-fed pool. After that go to the wooly mammoth site to see an enormous collection of the creatures which over the years were stuck in a watering hole and fossilized. I believe it's still being excavated. It's quite an education.

Drive through Custer State Park to see the herds of bison and burros. Stop at the lodge and have a buffalo burger.

See the gigantic carving of Crazy Horse pointing to the homeland. Do a little gambling in Deadwood. Ride the cool-on-a-hot-day Icebox Canyon and see the trout streams and Bridal Veil Falls. Lunch there with a great view is the Latch Key. Their specialty is buffalo stew.

Have an inexpensive and tasty steak at Elk Creek Steakhouse south of Sturgis.

Extra day? Scoot east of Rapid City for a drive through the Badlands loop. Morning or late afternoon is best to avoid the heat. I like to ride it east to west. There's nothing quite like it.

Then if you don't frown on what some folks call "tourist traps," make a stop at Wall to walk through Wall Drug and look at the "stuff." Everythinginthewholewideworld is there. And they hire students from around the world in the summer so you can have some interesting conversations. The coffee is good and so are the caramel rolls.

Have a good time!

Old 05-06-2018, 09:36 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,039,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes, adding those two would definitely enhance the trip. If the OP has the time I'd also recommend it.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:29 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,189,203 times
early June would be a great time to visit the Black Hills this year...

the first weekend of June every year they hold a Volksmarch that opens up the trails in, around and up to the Crazy Horse Memorial to hikers. It's a bit of a trek but well worth it to be standing on his outstretched arm and gazing right into his massive face. Not to mention it is a pretty spectacular view of the surrounding hills.

https://crazyhorsememorial.org/crazy...olksmarch.html

also, the Native American music and dance ensemble; Brule, appears to be playing at Crazy Horse starting in June and lasting through July.

https://www.brulerecords.com/tour?calendar_page=1

Would be a shame to drive all that way and not see The Badlands, even better to book a cabin inside the park and witness the timeless sunset and sunrise. Ranger led star-gazing events are also held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming