Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM

26,433 posts, read 46,665,702 times

Advertisements

Consensus says don’t further subsidize:
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/08/regu...ar-plants.html

Old 01-09-2018, 06:41 PM

18,359 posts, read 26,528,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
the original story was about coal filing the gap during the east recent cold spell as all other sources fell short, including the grid....
That grid is in the lower part of the east (states like TN, WV, NJ). Enlarged transmission lines are being built from Quebec to New England (one underway in VT, possibility one will be built through NH as well) that will feed more hydro power into the system and I have no doubt this power will at times be sent into that area at times like this reducing future needs for dirty coal power from the west. In other words anyone hoping this incident means coal has much of a future is simply grasping at straws. As more infrastructure for cleaner power is built coal will be totally eliminated in the east.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,303,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
That grid is in the lower part of the east (states like TN, WV, NJ). Enlarged transmission lines are being built from Quebec to New England (one underway in VT, possibility one will be built through NH as well) that will feed more hydro power into the system and I have no doubt this power will at times be sent into that area at times like this reducing future needs for dirty coal power from the west. In other words anyone hoping this incident means coal has much of a future is simply grasping at straws. As more infrastructure for cleaner power is built coal will be totally eliminated in the east.
Hydro not totally clean, loss of fish habitat, they tearing dams out in the west, carbon release from reservoirs. No problem with hydro , but feel better with off site storage ie. diversion dam and water stored of the main water drainage. A lot like water projects around Fremont Co Wyoming . There going to be a place for the west cleaner coal in the US power grid for awhile yet...

Old 01-09-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Hydro not totally clean, loss of fish habitat, they tearing dams out in the west, carbon release from reservoirs. No problem with hydro , but feel better with off site storage ie. diversion dam and water stored of the main water drainage. A lot like water projects around Fremont Co Wyoming . There going to be a place for the west cleaner coal in the US power grid for awhile yet...
All coal pumps mercury into the atmosphere which then gets deposited in water and soil downwind. There's no such thing as "clean" coal. It's all dirty.

I do worry about the fish issues with hydro but I do think we can engineer a way out of that. There's no real 100 percent solution to the problems with coal. Coal poisons my own personal water supply, I want coal relegated to the history books.

Old 01-09-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
All coal pumps mercury into the atmosphere which then gets deposited in water and soil downwind. There's no such thing as "clean" coal. It's all dirty.

I do worry about the fish issues with hydro but I do think we can engineer a way out of that. There's no real 100 percent solution to the problems with coal. Coal poisons my own personal water supply, I want coal relegated to the history books.
plants here take the mercury out, along with everything else , fly ash goes back into reclamation of the mine, only thing going out those stacks are CO2 and steam

Coal-Fired Dry Fork Station Unit 1 | Sargent & Lundy
zero emission power plant

Old 01-09-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I agree, that will likely be the result of this- although I'm not a huge fan of hydro it is better than the alternative. Also, base load demand growth is very little in the region. Increases in energy efficiency is the other big factor.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 PM

Quote:
plants here take the mercury out, along with everything else , fly ash goes back into reclamation of the mine, only thing going out those stacks are CO2 and steam

Iowa is now powered by nearly 50% wind energy with percentages continuing to increase with very little coal power compared to the rest of the Midwest. Coal will continue to lose market share because it cannot compete in the marketplace with renewable sources that continue to rapidly decrease in cost and lower cost natural gas. No one wants to live next to coal plant. Try living in the Ohio Valley with all the dinosaur coal plants everywhere. It is disgusting, contamination everywhere.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Iowa is now powered by nearly 50% wind energy with percentages continuing to increase with very little coal power compared to the rest of the Midwest. Coal will continue to lose market share because it cannot compete in the marketplace with renewable sources that continue to rapidly decrease in cost and lower cost natural gas. No one wants to live next to coal plant. Try living in the Ohio Valley with all the dinosaur coal plants everywhere. It is disgusting, contamination everywhere.
so what carry's the load when the wind doesn't blow, or blowing too fast?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,352,678 times
It's really not complicated. Wanna help 'heal' this planet AND conserve/stretch resources at the same time ?

STOP BREEDING LIKE RABBITS !

Old 01-10-2018, 04:20 AM

Quote:

Zero emissions is referring strictly to liquids (water). It still emits mercury into the atmosphere and was fought on those grounds by various groups. If the coal industry was so clean it wouldn't have fought the mercury emissions standards the Obama admin put in place (which Trump has lifted allowing them to continue pumping mercury into our air).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming