Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 03:18 PM

18,339 posts, read 26,611,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdumbear View Post
"Sorry Nell, but your time has come."

I take ANY threat against my only means of livelihood as a threat against my life, and the lives of those I live & work alongside...

...and I intend to defend myself accordingly...as do the rest of us who feel the same.

Vex us not...because although we can survive quite happily 'off' the grid...you urban-spawn clearly cannot...and once the food stops coming-in from here (where most of it is raised & cultivated)...well....YOU do the math, my friend.

This country can ONLY function efficiently when we ALL agree to dissagree, make peace with our disagreements & learn to work TOGETHER.

But if you city-people continue to make 'long-distance/absentee decisions' on what 'is' or 'is'nt' in OUR best interests...

...it's just not going to work.

While I have my own personal thoughts as to 45's painfully-obvious lack of 'vested interest' in how things are (or are'nt) done out here, I maintain that he IS the best choice we have ever had (sitting in that seat) who definately has what it takes to 'cut to the quick' & get things moving.

He may indeed be making money for HIS people, and I cannot fault him for that...but at the same time he is definately shifting focus AWAY from 'sleepy-town suburbia' & HOA trust-fund-trash, and BACK to the blue-collar worker who has EARNED every single damned bloody & cracked callouses they have on thier hands.

For all who don't like it, or who are 'too skeered' to get off the porch & run with the (conservative) big-dawgs...you have three more yrs to decide on who steps into 44's vacuum to reclaim your oh-so-wonderful 'progressive, soul-less, humanistic' agenda.

And good luck with that.
You don't have a right to poison me or my water for your paycheck. End of story. The coal industry belongs in history books only.

And I'm not "urban-spawn."

Old 01-10-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
they pull most all the Mercury out very little if any goes up the stack...mercury is liquid at the temps the plant runs, and the only thing you see on a cold day is steam no smoke.
No there's still too much mercury coming out. It's why they fought the mercury pollution rule Obama implemented and Trump reversed. Trump's reversal means some states are taking the issue to the courts.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:46 PM

3,650 posts, read 6,343,263 times
Bet ten years from now there still be new oil , and gas well frack close to me. The In Situ Uranium mine a few miles away will probably have the reclamation done and moved on to a new site, and neighbors will probably still be working in the coal mines. The Sawmills in town will still be producing lumber, kitty litter and wood chips. The Bentonite Clay will still be dug up, and cattle and sheep will still be harvesting grass off the range. Semi Trucks, Farm Tractors and jet planes will still be using fossil fuels and our Navy using uranium.

Old 01-10-2018, 07:58 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,360,088 times
"You don't have a right to poison me or my water for your paycheck."

Yeah...we are poisoning YOUR water. Okay. Sure.

"Run for the Stronghold, Thunderheart !"

Wow. I mean...just...WOW.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:26 PM

26,498 posts, read 46,922,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
For every unit of wind, and solar you need a unit of fossil fuel, hydro, or nuke as back up. Wind and solar generate nothing if the wind doesn't blow, and sun doesn't shine. When you NEED power, it has to come from other sources.
And facts state that in many states, renewable sources are put online and fossil fuel stations are retired and taken offline. The main problem is that we have many very old and inefficient coal power plants operating well beyond their expected lifespan.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:

Wrong again. Concentrated toxic mercury contamination MEANS that no one can eat any fish taken out of the Ohio River. Time to look at a map and examine all of the coal power plant units that line the river for hundreds of miles. Many people in the region have had more than enough of coal damage, and are moving quickly beyond coal to other much cleaner fuel sources. You don't live here, so you don't know how horrid it was in the past, before some improvements came when coal plants were RETIRED- decades after they should have been.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,360,088 times
Every 'body' dies. NO 'body' gets out of this alive. If you don't die of 'whatever' is in the water you drink, you'll likely die of something in the air you breath, or CO2 seeping in from underneath your floorboards from a leak in your exhaust system, or from somebody choosing ignore a red-light and T-bones you in the intersection, or Kim Jun fires off a missile that 'accidentally' hits our friends in South Korea, Japan or Taiwan, which pulls us into action against them...which also would pull Russia & China into defending NK (WW-3 ?) or Iran attacks Israel...or maybe even the limp-wristed liberal Saudi-regime...which (again) pulls us into WW-3...my guess is it'll happen exctly like Hitler/Tojo & Mussolini all over again...only worse...

...heck maybe even an asteroid or 'Planet-X' (Nibiru ?) actually makes a flyby, throwing Earth's poles/axis outta-whack...etc, etc, etc...SO much fun, can you imagine ?

Oh...can't forget Jellystone...or Mt. Ranier, Hood, St.Helens and all other (smaller) Oregon/Washington state volcano-chains for that matter...after all the 'savings' we worked so hard for, driving Hybrids...GONE, baby....GONE !

Point is: WE ALL DIE EVENTUALLY.

You could get killed walkin' your DOGGIE across the street...aneurysm...that's it...LIGHTS OUT...nighty-night...

RELAX, brother...you might live happier if you do.

Last edited by Ltdumbear; 01-10-2018 at 11:00 PM..

Old 01-11-2018, 04:17 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,398,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Wrong again. Concentrated toxic mercury contamination MEANS that no one can eat any fish taken out of the Ohio River. Time to look at a map and examine all of the coal power plant units that line the river for hundreds of miles. Many people in the region have had more than enough of coal damage, and are moving quickly beyond coal to other much cleaner fuel sources. You don't live here, so you don't know how horrid it was in the past, before some improvements came when coal plants were RETIRED- decades after they should have been.
OK .... From what I read, Mercury polluting sources to the river also include the manufacturing industries along the river discharges, not just the coal power plants.

But here's a suggestion if you are committed to fully cleaning up the Mercury problem: Shut 'em all down. Close the coal burning power plants NOW. Shut down every facility discharging Mercury into the river.

No problem, right? You can use the renewable power sources, build more ASAP. There will be all the more pressure to come up with the energy storage solutions ASAP. You'll have greatly reduced baseline power demand without all those pesky polluting businesses needing power, too.

Your dedication to cleaning up the river need only be matched by your willingness to adjust to the standard of living that reliance upon your clean energy sources provide.

How about that? Are you and the rest of the population up to the challenges that present? Will you do what it takes to bring your energy requirements in line with what's available today without using fossil fuels? Will you accept the acreage needed for wind generation? How about acres of solar panels? Put them on every roof?

I'll bet that if anybody can rise up to the challenge, you can. The possible inconvenience will be short-lived as you solve all the energy supply generation and distribution issues, right? No cheating, now. No firewood for heat, no candles or liquid fuels for light, no generators using fossil fuels, no fossil fueled refrigeration for food, no Cooling systems except those powered by renewable energy. You'll have a great time knowing that you're on the leading edge of cleaning up the river and introducing the latest technology to save the planet.

Just for an example, the technology already exists to build energy efficient "envelope" houses or remodel existing ones to require minimal energy for heating/cooling. The cost for everybody to do so will be a modest mortgage burden that might even pay back in your lifetimes, so it's gotta' be worth it. And there will be plenty of construction jobs to offset.possible job losses in other sectors, too. It's a win-win for everybody! Soon you'll be able to eat all the fish you want from the river, so the interim costs will be justified.

Don't stop there. Require all transportation ... Rail or trucks or passenger vehicles to be renewable powered or banned from the multi-state Ohio river valley area. No exceptions. This will help spur technology solutions immediately.

Old 01-11-2018, 05:11 AM

Quote:

I'd suggest finding a science textbook and studying this. It's quite well documented that mercury emitted into the atmosphere by burning coal gets deposited downwind into the soil and water.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
OK .... From what I read, Mercury polluting sources to the river also include the manufacturing industries along the river discharges, not just the coal power plants.

But here's a suggestion if you are committed to fully cleaning up the Mercury problem: Shut 'em all down. Close the coal burning power plants NOW. Shut down every facility discharging Mercury into the river.

No problem, right? You can use the renewable power sources, build more ASAP. There will be all the more pressure to come up with the energy storage solutions ASAP. You'll have greatly reduced baseline power demand without all those pesky polluting businesses needing power, too.

Your dedication to cleaning up the river need only be matched by your willingness to adjust to the standard of living that reliance upon your clean energy sources provide.

How about that? Are you and the rest of the population up to the challenges that present? Will you do what it takes to bring your energy requirements in line with what's available today without using fossil fuels? Will you accept the acreage needed for wind generation? How about acres of solar panels? Put them on every roof?

I'll bet that if anybody can rise up to the challenge, you can. The possible inconvenience will be short-lived as you solve all the energy supply generation and distribution issues, right? No cheating, now. No firewood for heat, no candles or liquid fuels for light, no generators using fossil fuels, no fossil fueled refrigeration for food, no Cooling systems except those powered by renewable energy. You'll have a great time knowing that you're on the leading edge of cleaning up the river and introducing the latest technology to save the planet.

Just for an example, the technology already exists to build energy efficient "envelope" houses or remodel existing ones to require minimal energy for heating/cooling. The cost for everybody to do so will be a modest mortgage burden that might even pay back in your lifetimes, so it's gotta' be worth it. And there will be plenty of construction jobs to offset.possible job losses in other sectors, too. It's a win-win for everybody! Soon you'll be able to eat all the fish you want from the river, so the interim costs will be justified.

Don't stop there. Require all transportation ... Rail or trucks or passenger vehicles to be renewable powered or banned from the multi-state Ohio river valley area. No exceptions. This will help spur technology solutions immediately.
Most of the issues historically was related to locational proximity to fuel sources, the Ohio Valley's proximity to Appalachian coal, the transport of the product via rail or barge, and finally the coal units burning the coal at the power plant. Now, infrastructure improvements via high voltage transmission line infrastructure are being expanded from the Corn Belt regions with high winds speeds and a much faster growth of wind farms to the Ohio Valley that doesn't have wind. Retirements of coal units are continually ongoing as most are 40-50+ years old. Conversions to natural gas have also occurred in metro Louisville area resulting in improvements in air quality that was a SEVERE quality of life problem in decades past, although you wouldn't have any idea because you weren't living there then. Point sources such as power plants result in a large chunk of air pollution compared to general automotive uses which would be impossible to further regulate at this time, unless PZEV standards were adopted at the national level- resulting in further improvements to air quality. You can't skirt around the issue of mercury, as burning coal is a very well documented point source of mercury contamination- one of the very few around. Regarding energy efficiency standards, that is key to reducing any base load demand growth, prosperous states usually embrace this strategy as it results in huge savings for business and residents overall. Coal plant retirements will continue fortunately, as lower cost technology will continue to rapidly bring cleaner sources online, the Texas grid being a good example of surplus generating capacity and not enough high voltage transmission lines to export it to markets on the demand side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming