Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 AM

10,455 posts, read 14,184,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post

Regarding a wind farm being labeled ugly, I'm always amused by this statement. Let me offer some context as to why. When compared to the devastation of mountain top removal in coal mining and the damage it causes to the surrounding communities, water supplies, etc. a wind farm is the farthest thing from ugly.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:46 AM

7,799 posts, read 4,444,593 times
The country is now warming up after this winter anomaly. Coal will once again be like Nell tied to the train tracks screaming, "Help me! Help Me!" waiting for its Dudley Do-right in the form of Donald Trump to rescue it.

Sorry Nell, but your time has come.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 AM

34,489 posts, read 18,919,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Iowa is now powered by nearly 50% wind energy with percentages continuing to increase with very little coal power compared to the rest of the Midwest. Coal will continue to lose market share because it cannot compete in the marketplace with renewable sources that continue to rapidly decrease in cost and lower cost natural gas. No one wants to live next to coal plant. Try living in the Ohio Valley with all the dinosaur coal plants everywhere. It is disgusting, contamination everywhere.
For every unit of wind, and solar you need a unit of fossil fuel, hydro, or nuke as back up. Wind and solar generate nothing if the wind doesn't blow, and sun doesn't shine. When you NEED power, it has to come from other sources.

Old 01-10-2018, 06:02 AM

18,348 posts, read 26,682,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
For every unit of wind, and solar you need a unit of fossil fuel, hydro, or nuke as back up. Wind and solar generate nothing if the wind doesn't blow, and sun doesn't shine. When you NEED power, it has to come from other sources.
If we put our resources into developing improvements in power storage we can eliminate our reliance on fossil fuels.

Old 01-10-2018, 09:36 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,487,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If we put our resources into developing improvements in power storage we can eliminate our reliance on fossil fuels.
one can always "hope and dream" of new technologies entering the marketplace in the future. To date, however, such massive power storage capability has yet to emerge ... and it's not been for lack of trying. Substantial research dollars and time have been put into pursuit of this technology to date for many years.

In the energy business delivering power now and foreseeable future to the end users, the power companies can't supply power on as-yet undeveloped technologies.

Until such time as renewables can be backed up by those dreams turned into reality, baseline energy production must be backed up by existing proven technology. At the present time, that's fossil or nuclear power generation and fossil fueled power is by far much easier to get permitted/installed and on-line. While new coal plants may not be considered a viable option at this time, existing coal plants most certainly are the backbone of baseline energy production now in the USA ... and will likely be so for quite a while yet to come. The low sulfur coal from sources such as Wyoming is a major factor in keeping those plants on line when it comes to "cleaner" energy production.

Last edited by sunsprit; 01-10-2018 at 09:54 AM..

Old 01-10-2018, 10:05 AM

3,651 posts, read 6,363,102 times
Quote:
Zero emissions is referring strictly to liquids (water). It still emits mercury into the atmosphere and was fought on those grounds by various groups. If the coal industry was so clean it wouldn't have fought the mercury emissions standards the Obama admin put in place (which Trump has lifted allowing them to continue pumping mercury into our air).
they pull most all the Mercury out very little if any goes up the stack...mercury is liquid at the temps the plant runs, and the only thing you see on a cold day is steam no smoke.

Old 01-10-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I yet to see a grain combine that would run on batteries 24/7 during harvest.... besides those wind mills need oil in their transmissions .

Old 01-10-2018, 10:08 AM

34,489 posts, read 18,919,549 times
Quote:
Why? Fossil fuels are abundant domestically, and efficient. We have centuries of supply domestically, and finding more all the time. Natural gas is extremely plentiful, and clean.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:27 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,364,708 times
"Sorry Nell, but your time has come."

I take ANY threat against my only means of livelihood as a threat against my life, and the lives of those I live & work alongside...

...and I intend to defend myself accordingly...as do the rest of us who feel the same.

Vex us not...because although we can survive quite happily 'off' the grid...you urban-spawn clearly cannot...and once the food stops coming-in from here (where most of it is raised & cultivated)...well....YOU do the math, my friend.

This country can ONLY function efficiently when we ALL agree to dissagree, make peace with our disagreements & learn to work TOGETHER.

But if you city-people continue to make 'long-distance/absentee decisions' on what 'is' or 'is'nt' in OUR best interests...

...it's just not going to work.

While I have my own personal thoughts as to 45's painfully-obvious lack of 'vested interest' in how things are (or are'nt) done out here, I maintain that he IS the best choice we have ever had (sitting in that seat) who definately has what it takes to 'cut to the quick' & get things moving.

He may indeed be making money for HIS people, and I cannot fault him for that...but at the same time he is definately shifting focus AWAY from 'sleepy-town suburbia' & HOA trust-fund-trash, and BACK to the blue-collar worker who has EARNED every single damned bloody & cracked callouses they have on thier hands.

For all who don't like it, or who are 'too skeered' to get off the porch & run with the (conservative) big-dawgs...you have three more yrs to decide on who steps into 44's vacuum to reclaim your oh-so-wonderful 'progressive, soul-less, humanistic' agenda.

And good luck with that.

Old 01-10-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The country is now warming up after this winter anomaly. Coal will once again be like Nell tied to the train tracks screaming, "Help me! Help Me!" waiting for its Dudley Do-right in the form of Donald Trump to rescue it.

Sorry Nell, but your time has come.
but sure was nice when it was needed this past couple of weeks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming