Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 03:31 AM

108 posts, read 413,208 times

Advertisements

We will be taking a road trip originating in Denver up Rt 25 to I-90 up to Billings and back down to RedLodge, entually making our way to Yellowstone and beyond.
What will the driving times be from Denver to Little Big Horn ?

Is Casper a good place to take a night to stay? I know that probably depends on what time we land in Denver. Should we plan on about 4 hours drive to Casper?
Any suggestions where to stay along the way?
No kids, 2 adults, August

appreciate local knowlegde, thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmjinnh View Post
We will be taking a road trip originating in Denver up Rt 25 to I-90 up to Billings and back down to RedLodge, entually making our way to Yellowstone and beyond.

Is Casper a good place to take a night to stay? I know that probably depends on what time we land in Denver. Should we plan on about 4 hours drive to Casper?

Denver to Casper is about 4 1/2 hours, usually (depending a lot on how obnoxious the traffic is from Denver to Fort Collins--it can be horrible)--if you follow the speed limits, which I highly recommend. Contrary to what most think, the Wyoming Highway Patrol pretty much has zero tolerance for speeding. Out-of-staters tend to speed more on Wyoming's open highways. The WHP knows this and watches for them.

There are decent motels in Cheyenne, Wheatland, Douglas, Casper, Buffalo, and Sheridan--with a couple of choices in Chugwater or Kaycee, as well. I strongly recommend making a reservation in advance, if possible, especially in Douglas, Casper, Buffalo, or Sheridan. All four towns are being heavily impacted by energy activity, and the motels often are full of energy-related folks, in addition to the normal summer travelers. Don't expect great rates, either. Casper to Billings is probably another 3 to 4 hours.

One other thing, you are almost guaranteed to hit construction (often for miles) somewhere on the route during the summer. Figure in some minor delays to your driving schedule.

Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM

215 posts, read 668,129 times
It would be a good 4 hours from Casper to Billings. All interstate which is good, Dont really recommend staying anywhere between Billings and Sheridan so would plan accordingly, It is about 150 miles from Casper to Sheridan and then another 135 miles to Billings. Sheridan has several of the major motel chains so reservation would be no problem. If you are planning on going to Crow Agency to the Custer Battlefield that is about 70 out of Sheridan right on the interstate. Good Luck

Quote:
We will be taking a road trip originating in Denver
up Rt 25 to I-90 up to Billings and back down to RedLodge, entually making our way to Yellowstone and beyond.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:12 PM

Thanks so much for the tips...especially the WHP!

Old 12-05-2007, 07:23 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
My daughter lives in Pueblo and I live in Sheridan. It's a long trip from Pueblo to here but Denver to Sheridan would make a good day drive. Takes me about 7.5 hours in my pickup.

Typical of Wyoming, you kind of have to commit. Either stop in Casper, or go all the way to Sheridan, or go all the way to Billings. Cause there just ain't much in between. haha

Like mentioned, Kaycee has something, but they fill quick. Buffalo has several really nice motels. They're only 32 miles South of Sheridan. Sheridan has the typical chains that most always have rooms. For some reason the mom and pop motels fill quick. But out at the interstate is Motel 6, WinGate, and such. Cruise through Main and Coffeen and you'll find a couple dozen smaller outfits.

Living in Sheridan, I'm kind of byased, but I will tell you that Buffalo has one of the best steak houses in Wyoming. So that's a thought. Reasonably priced. I think it's called Winchesters. Or Remingtons. haha It's named after a rifle. I remember that.

But Sheridan has lots of good places to eat. But if you don't stop at one of those two, the next stop is Billings and that's going to make you drive about 11 hours to get there. Makes for an awful long day and then you don't feel like a good meal.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 PM

Ok, I looked it up. Winchesters Steak House. Town ain't real big, you'll find it. 117 Hwy 16. It's in East Buffalo.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 AM

52,693 posts, read 47,975,215 times
Casper is centrally located, so you shouldn't have any problem stopping in. That would be the best place.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM

The problem I have with Casper is that the motel's along the I-25 are in really bad parts of town. So in order to get a good motel, you have to be familiar with the area and get back off the interstate. It's just not well layed out. They need to do some pickup to get my business along the I. I know where to go and I do. But it's not along the beaten trail for travelers.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:36 PM

Default local knowledge?

Elk Hunter, I saw a couple of possibilities in Casper, but they were along I 25.

Best Western Ramkota
800 N. Poplar St.
Casper

Holiday Inn Express
4250 Legion Ln.
Casper

Courtyard,Marriott
4260 Hospitality Ln
Casper, WY 82609

C'mon Inn
301 East Lathrop Rd. - Casper

Would these hotels be in decent areas? Do you have any recommendations for lodging? If you prefer to PM,please do.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited by pmjinnh; 12-08-2007 at 06:52 PM..

Old 12-08-2007, 07:11 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,480,618 times
Quote:
Elk Hunter, I saw a couple of possibilities in Casper, but they were along I 25.

Best Western Ramkota
800 N. Poplar St.
Casper

Holiday Inn Express
4250 Legion Ln.
Casper

Courtyard,Marriott
4260 Hospitality Ln
Casper, WY 82609

C'mon Inn
301 East Lathrop Rd. - Casper

Would these hotels be in decent areas? Do you have any recommendations for lodging? If you prefer to PM,please do.
Thanks a lot!
Any of those are probably OK. I've stayed at all of them, except the C'mon Inn, which is the newest. I wouldn't call the others great, but they are passable. Again, make sure you can get a room. The energy boom has got a lot of hotels full most of the time. And, rates aren't always great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming