Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 10,269 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old and I was born and raised in Eastern Tennessee, right on the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Due to some life issues (don't we ALL have those?) I'm in the process of literally packing up and starting over. I need a clean sweep.

I have ALWAYS loved the idea of Wyoming. It's always seemed to mysterious to me. From the pictures to the stories... I'm completely drawn to it.

What I'm looking for:
1. A small town.
2. VERY close knit- I want a town where everyone knows everyone and your neighbors would give you the shirt off their back.... I want to feel welcome where ever I go and not feel like a completely alien.
3. Population under 10K. Preferably in the 4-8K range.
4. Nice scenery.
5. A place where I would be able to find a nice place to rent that ALLOWS a dog... (some places, especially super small communities often don't have rentals and ones that allow a dog at that).
6. Somewhere where finding a job (even if it's at the local cafe) wouldn't be impossible.

I am moving alone and don't want to feel terrified of going to an unknown place- which is why the close knit community is a MUST for me.

I'm also huge into outdoor activities and am very active in horseback riding.

So what are some towns/communities that would be good for what I'm looking for???

Thanks in advance,
Taylor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 01:42 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Start here:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Wyoming.html

Then in the upper-left corner window, filter to:

Wyoming Smaller Cities, Towns, and Villages (1000-6000 residents)

Old 01-25-2014, 02:21 PM

Awesome, thank you. Any in particular out of that list that you feel are more close-knit than others?

Old 01-25-2014, 02:47 PM

What I like:
Buffalo
Douglas
Lovell
Newcastle
Pinedale
Thermopolis

What I loved:
Sundance

Any extra input on these?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:03 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
The only towns on your list that I've spent any amount of time in, and am considering as my retirement home in a few years is Thermopolis. I cannot speak to the closeness of the town or how accepting they are of newcomers as I haven't moved there yet. I do not expect any problems, especially after I get hooked into a neighborhood church.

It is best to visit. I did so for several weeks last month and as a result of that trip, I crossed off several possibilities from my list and have added several others. I am concentrating on places in the Bighorn Basin.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:48 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTaylorP View Post
What I like:
Buffalo
Douglas
Lovell
Newcastle
Pinedale
Thermopolis

What I loved:
Sundance

Sundance is the most hated small town in Wyoming. Most people who move there leave within 2 years.
If you manage to get a job it is unlikely it will be above minimum wage which is $5.15 and it does not go far.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
Sundance is the most hated small town in Wyoming. Most people who move there leave within 2 years.
If you manage to get a job it is unlikely it will be above minimum wage which is $5.15 and it does not go far.
Wow, that's good to know! That's why I'm asking for input from ya'll.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:18 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
I've never heard what the above poster (Joe33) said about Sundance, but it is very small, mostly an ag based economy. I don't know about rentals. I do know of one very small house (a second property on a single lot) that's been empty for awhile, but I've never been in it. I don't know about the job market there. I'm sure jobs are scarce since it's so small, but I imagine there are a few. The people I've met from Sundance have been very friendly -- so much so that it stands out as a friendly place. It's in the northern Black Hills, so I'd call it a scenic area.

Newcastle is also at the edge of the Black Hills. It's a little larger town (still small) with an oil and ag based economy. It looks a little run-down compared to some towns, but it seems friendly enough. It has a lot of history associated with it -- one of the older towns in Wyoming.

Douglas is nice. It's seen more growth in recent years than some. It's not far from Laramie Peak, so the mountains aren't too far, but I'd call it a prairie town. Again, most folks I've known from Douglas were friendly.

My favorite of the ones you posted is Buffalo. It's situated against the Big Horn Mountains. Very pretty area. It also has a lot of Old West history associated with it -- site of the Johnson County Range Wars (cattle barons vs. sheepmen, etc.), not far from some of the famous Indian battles, stomping grounds of Butch Cassidy, the Sundance Kid (who got his nickname from time spent in the Sundance jail) and the rest of the Hole in the Wall gang. It seems to be a close knit community. I've noticed big crowds for local events. Again, friendly folks. I'd guess rents would be a little higher than in Newcastle of Sundance, but there may also be more jobs.

As you probably already know, rentals will be harder to come by with a dog, and the bigger and badder the dog, the harder to find a place, but with time you'll be able to find a rental, probably in any of the towns you mentioned. But finding a "nice" place that will accept your dog AND that you can afford on a waitress' income might be tough. A lot of young people with lower incomes share a place.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:41 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
I'm 22 years old and I was born and raised in Eastern Tennessee, right on the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Due to some life issues (don't we ALL have those?) I'm in the process of literally packing up and starting over. I need a clean sweep.

I have ALWAYS loved the idea of Wyoming. It's always seemed to mysterious to me. From the pictures to the stories... I'm completely drawn to it.

What I'm looking for:
1. A small town.
2. VERY close knit- I want a town where everyone knows everyone and your neighbors would give you the shirt off their back.... I want to feel welcome where ever I go and not feel like a completely alien.
3. Population under 10K. Preferably in the 4-8K range.
4. Nice scenery.
5. A place where I would be able to find a nice place to rent that ALLOWS a dog... (some places, especially super small communities often don't have rentals and ones that allow a dog at that).
6. Somewhere where finding a job (even if it's at the local cafe) wouldn't be impossible.

I am moving alone and don't want to feel terrified of going to an unknown place- which is why the close knit community is a MUST for me.

I'm also huge into outdoor activities and am very active in horseback riding.

So what are some towns/communities that would be good for what I'm looking for???

Thanks in advance,
Taylor
There are a fair amount of towns that fit this criteria, although it does depend on your definition of nice scenery. A lot of Wyoming is prairie, which does have a rugged beauty IMHO, but others may not find it to be. The part that may be tough is rent with a dog. Also be aware that some of the prettier places are a bit expensive and it may be tough to make a go of it if you are working in a café. The list you have is pretty good, I would also add Cody, Worland, Torrington (haven't been there but it is not in the mountainous region so maybe not as scenic), Lander, and even though it's bigger than 10,000 Sheridan might also be worth a look. Rawlins is a little town in the southern part of the state, not as scenic, but could be worth looking into. Riverton also fits your size criteria but it surrounded by the Wind River Reservation. It seems like a decent town, but maybe someone can chime in.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:00 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
What I like:
Buffalo
Douglas
Lovell
Newcastle
Pinedale
Thermopolis

What I loved:
Sundance

Add Sheridan (or nearby smaller towns)
Add Powell and axe Lovell.

Consider Spearfish and Sturgis, SD. Very near to Sundance and a lot more for a 22 yr old. (SD is also an income tax free state There are some nice places there). I encourage you to stay near a college town, as they bring many opportunities for activities that most of Rural USA has to go without.

What is your career field? or your earning requirements.

Look beyond WY and SD too. There are ezr places for a 22 yr old to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming