Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM

121 posts, read 296,003 times

Advertisements

We plan to visit Yellowstone park/Grand Teton somewhere in the last 2 weeks of August.

Is it too crowded during this time??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 12:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,270,741 times
The last two weeks of August isn't too bad. Families start heading back home for school about mid-August, so you'll avoid the peak tourist visits of June 15-August 15. Late August will be better than mid-August. It'll still be fairly crowded, but if you can concentrate on early mornings (sunrise until 9 or 10) and late afternoons (6 'til 9) you can further avoid "rush hour traffic". I don't know if you can do that or not. Many can't or won't, which is why it's a good time. Landscapes are much nicer early mornings and late afternoons too, and it's also the best times to view much of the wildlife.

My late wife and I spent a few weeks doing photography in Yellowstone and GT several summers ago in our camper. We'd get on the road before sunrise and shoot until around 10, return to the campground to eat and nap until 5 or so, then head back out for more photography until dark. You don't see any traffic at sunrise other than supply trucks. It's the best time of the day in the Park, and almost nobody sees it.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM

1,872 posts, read 4,227,885 times
Another suggestion is that you plan the bulk of your visit during the week. Although most families will be headed back to their homes by then there will be more "day trippers" on the weekends. People who live within driving distance of the parks tend to go more on weekends. Still, it shouldn't be too bad by the end of August.

Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM

121 posts, read 296,003 times
Thanks for your response.

Yes, a weekday/s trip seems to be the way to go.

For sightseeing how many days will be required (minimum) for the main attractions of yellowstone/grand teton park for us first time visitors?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM

10,349 posts, read 14,001,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post

For sightseeing how many days will be required (minimum) for the main attractions of yellowstone/grand teton park for us first time visitors?
To answer your first question, the crowds do thin out a bit the last two weeks of August. A week should be sufficient to see the main highlights of Yellowstone and allow for ample time to see Grand Teton. A good centrally located spot in Yellowstone is the Norris Geyser Basin campground. If you are taking an RV you can check out Fishing Bridge. It's not as centrally located but looks nice. Since I camp in a tent that area is off-limits, hard-sided units only.

I also second what WyoNewk says about going out in the early morning and early evening. Lots of animals around. The afternoons are good times to explore the geologic wonders. August is also nice as the buffalo are in rut. Going through Hayden Valley that time of year it doesn't take much imagination to picture the old west with big herds of buffalo. I also got lucky and spotted a sow grizzly with two cubs once.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:27 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Default You don't have enough days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kram79 View Post

As visitors to Yellowstone several times over, the wife and I still don't feel like we've experienced it all. And if you do just what is easy to see from your vehicle, you'll miss some terrific views that a short 1-2 mile hike would give you. And folks that do those (us), are missing still more that longer hikes will give you according to what some visitors have told me.

There are some terrific views from a few mountains that you can drive up in Yellowstone. You don't want to miss the geysers (Yellowstone has the largest number of geysers of any place in the world). We found that in late August we spotted more bison and elk toward West Yellowstone, but my understanding is that where they go is often determined by the weather.

Don't leave out the Grand Tetons. In terms of a vista, it is truly fabulous. And for all the times we've been to Yellowstone it's only been in or around the Grand Tetons that we saw moose or big horn sheep. And the most moose we ever saw was the one year we went in the winter when the park has limited entry.

But no matter what you choose to see, you won't have time to see as much as you want.

Good luck, and enjoy!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-14-2013 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 05-14-2013, 08:37 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,263,563 times
From what I've read about Yellowstone and is on the top of my to go place list. That is a good time to visit. I am thinking and planning for September after Labor day would be another Good time visit.
Good luck and have a good visit.
Scott

Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,311,808 times
September is great the bugs are gone as is a lot of the traffic, best time though is during the winter in a snow coach

Old 05-14-2013, 09:04 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,736,596 times
Default Rutting season

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
September is great the bugs are gone as is a lot of the traffic, best time though is during the winter in a snow coach
Jody, that guy is from Hawaii and may be unfamiliar with how aggressive the elk can be during rutting season. And September is definitely rutting season!

I don't get out the vehicle anywhere close to elk in September or October. Did see a video of an elk in Yellowstone charging a moving pick-up truck--smack into the side. Knocked the elk down. The truck stopped. Elk got up, backed up, and charged again!!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,311,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jody, that guy is from Hawaii and may be unfamiliar with how aggressive the elk can be during rutting season. And September is definitely rutting season!

I don't get out the vehicle anywhere close to elk in September or October. Did see a video of an elk in Yellowstone charging a moving pick-up truck--smack into the side. Knocked the elk down. The truck stopped. Elk got up, backed up, and charged again!!

other then at Mammoth we see more elk in Sept in Grand Teton then Yellowstone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming